International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
September-October 2020, Vol. 5, No. 9-10, pp. 231-239.
Study of adsorption refrigeration system with different working pairs
A. Sathiamourtty*¹, K. Ashok², S. Jagan³
¹Department of Mechanical Engineering, Pondicherry Engineering College, Pondicherry, India.
²Department of Mechanical Engineering, Pondicherry Engineering College, Pondicherry, India.
³Department of Mechanical Engineering, SMVEC, Pondicherry, India.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail:email@example.com
Absorption technologies using lithium bromide-water and water-ammonia systems are fairly well developed and have already been in use for many years. Adsorption technologies have been used extensively for separation and purification of gases for the past few decades but their exploitation for refrigeration and heating purposes is rather recent. The advantage of adsorption cooling system is that they can be driven by low-grade energy such as waste heat or solar energy. In an adsorption refrigeration system, the critical component is sorption bed where adsorption and desorption of adsorbate from adsorbent take place. Effective performance of an adsorption refrigeration system depends on how effectively desorption and adsorption occur at selected temperatures. It is planned to study desorption and adsorption characteristics of different working pairs theoretically. It is expected that this study would help to identified right working pairs suitable for particular applications and operating conditions. In this project, a thermodynamic analysis of sorption bed has been carried out.
Keywords: Adsorption; Desorption; Refrigeration; Working pair; COP.
- Leite APF, Daguenet M. Performance of a new solid adsorption ice maker with solar energy regeneration. Energy Conversion and Management. 2000;41:1625-47.
- Alghoul MA. Advances on Multi-Purpose Solar Adsorption systems for domestic refrigeration and water heating. Applied Thermal Engineering 2007;27:813-22.
- Dieng AO, Wang RZ. Solar adsorption technologies for ice-making and air-conditioning purposes and recent developments in solar technology. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 2002;5:313-342.
- Wang RZ, Wang LL, Li M, Yang WM. Experimental study on adsorbent of activated carbon with refrigerant of methanol and ethanol for solar ice maker. Shanghai Jiao Tong University of science and Technology. Renewable Energy 2004;29:2235-44.
- Miguel R, Espinoza RL, Horn MJ. Evaluation of a Zeolite–Water solar adsorption Refrigerator. ISES World Congress 2003. Sweden.
- Milind VR, Surjit SP, Kesav K. Design and testing of low cost solar vaccine storage unit, National Conference on Application of Solar Energy, 1997. India.
- Wang RZ, Jia JP, Zhu YH, Teng Y, Cheng J, Wang QB. Study on a new Solid Absorption Refrigeration Pair Active Carbon Fiber-Methanol. Journal of Solar energy Engineering. 1977;119 :214-8.
- Douss N, Meunier F. Effect of Operating Temperature on the coefficient of performance of the active carbon –methanol systems. Heat Recovery Systems and CHP. 1988;8:383-92.
- Critoph RE. Performance Limitations of Adsorption Cycles for Solar Cooling. Solar Energy. 1988;41:23-31.
- Anyanwu EE, Ogneke NV. Thermodynamic design procedure for solid adsorption solar refrigerato. Renewable Energy. 2006;30:81-96.
- Hildbrand C, Dind Ph, Buchter F, Pons M. New solar powered adsorption refrigerator with high performance. Article paru dans EUROSUN 2002, ISES Europe Solar Congress, Bologna, ISES Italia.
- Mohand B, Brahim A, Ferhat Y, Fateh B, Maamar O. Design and realization of a solar adsorption refrigeration machine powered by solar energy. Energy Procedia 2013; 48:1226-35.
- Wang RZ. Adsorption refrigeration system research in Shanghai Jiao Tong University. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 2001;5:1-37.
- Zhong Y, Critoph RE, Thorpe R. Elevation of the performance of solar sorption refrigeratorion system using carbon dioxide as a refrigeran. Applied Thermal Engineering 2006;26:1807-11.
- Chekirou W, Boussehain R, Feidt M, Karaali A, Boukheit N. Numerical results on operating parameters influence for a heat recovery adsorption machine. Energy Procedia 2011;6:202-16.
- Critoph RE, Metcalf SJ. Specific cooling power intensification limits in ammonia–carbon adsorption refrigeration systems. Applied Thermal Engineering. 2004;24:661-78.
- Amir S, Majid B. Assessment of adsorber bed designs in waste-heat driven adsorption cooling systems for vehicle air conditioning and refrigeration. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2013;30(1):440-51.
- Jagdish ST, Ramana PV. A review on performance improvement of an absorption refrigeration system by modification of basic cycle. International Journal of Ambient Energy. 2019;40:661-73.
- Wissam HK, Abdul H, Khalifa N. Performance Study of Solar Adsorption Refrigeration System Using Activated Carbon – Methanol Al-Nahrain Journal for Engineering Sciences. 2018;21(4):523-31.
- Sohan S, Sunil D. Thermal performance of a vapour adsorption refrigeration system: an overview Journal of Physics Conference Series. 2019;1240:01202
- Muhammad MR. Evaluation of metal–organic frameworks as potential adsorbents for solar cooling applications. Applied System Innovation. 2020;3(2):26.