International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
May 2020, Vol. 5, No. 5, pp. 128-136.
Effect of methanolic crude and purified root extracts of Moringa oleifera on Liver enzymes activities, Kidney function and Histopathology in poloxamer 407-induced hyperlipidemic albino rats
Inalegwu Bawa, Itodo Matthew Ocheleka*, Ogli Itolo
Department of Biochemistry, Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi, Benue State, Nigeria.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
The research was aimed To evaluate the effect of methanolic Root Extract of Moringa oleifera on Liver enzymes activities, Kidney function and Histopathology in Poloxamer 407 induced Hyperlipidemic Albino rats. albino rats were grouped into 8; Group 1: Normal control given only food and water, Group 2: Hyperlipidemic control not treated, Group 2 to 8 were induced with Poloxamer 407 1000 mg/Kg body weighty, however group 3 was treated with standard drugs atorvastatin (10 mg/kg). Group 4 treated with crude root extract (200 mg/kg) of Moringa oleifera and group 5 to 8 were treated with purified fraction from column chromatography. The study showed Methanolic root extract at 200 mg/kg body weight significantly (p>0.05) decrease Alanine aminotransferase (ALT), Aspartate aminotransferase (AST), Alkaline phosphatase (ALP), Creatinine, Urea, of the treated groups, and extract of moringa oleifera has demonstrated strong anti-lipidemic and hepatoprotective tendency. The work thus provides the phytotherapeutic potential of methanolic root extract of Moringa oleifera that may be needed by scientists and researchers in nutraceutical industry.
Keywords:Moringa oleifera; Poloxamer 407; Enzymes liver activities; Kidney function; Histopathology.
- Asheneni VP. Anti-Hyperlipidemic potential of vitex doniana Ethanol Extracts on Poloxamer 407 Induced Hyperlipidemic and Normal Rats. M.Sc. Thesis Report. Department of Biochemistry, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria 2014; pp 21.
- Vergara-Jimenez M, Almatrafi MM, Fernandez ML. Bioactive Component in Moringa Oleifera Leaves Protect against Chronic Diseases. Antioxidants 2017;6, 91.
- Radha R, Eyed M, Rao OS. Evaluation of Anti-Hyperlipidemic Activity of Methanolic Extract of Carica papaya seeds on wistar Rats .Info American Journal of pharmaceutical sciences 2014;1(5):328-32.
- Hill RD, Smith RB. Examination of the Extremities: The history, physical, and laboratory examination; Boston, Butter worths 1990;
- Subhashi D, Singh J. Safety assessment of Poloxamer 101 – 407, 405 Benzoate, and used Poloxamer 182 Dibenzoates as used in cosmetics. International Journal of Toxicology 2008;27(2);93-128
- Yokozowa M, Origassa H, Sasaki S. The protective role of Chinese prescription. Kangen-Karyu Extract on diet-induced hyper cholesterol emus in rats. Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin 2006;29:760-5.
- Das K, Tiwari RKS, Shrivastava DK. Techniques for evaluation of medicinal plant products as antimicrobial agent: Current methods and future trends. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research 2010;4(2):104-11.
- Seelinga M, Popesco R, Seephohonkai P, Singhube J, Giessrigl B, Unger C. Fractionation of an extract of Pluchea oderata seperate a property indicative for the induction of cell plasticity from one that inhibit neoplastic phenotype. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2012;2012:701927.
- Chinedu E, Arome D, Ameh SF. A new Method Determining Acute Toxicity in animal Models. Toxicology International 2013;20(3):224-6.
- Inalegwu B, Ornuga G, Etim EE. Effect of the Aqueous Extracts of Grewiavenusta leaves on poloxamer 407 Induced Hyperlipidemc rats. International Journal of science and Research 2018;7(5):398-404.
- Chaudhary HR, Brocks DR. The single Dose Poloxamer 407 Model of Hyperlpidemia. Systemic Effects on Lipids Assessed using Pharmacokinetic Methods and its Effects on Adipokines. J pharm pharmaceut Sci 2013;16(1):65-73.
- Reitman S, Frankel AS. A colorimetric method for the determination of serum glutamic oxaloacetate and glutamic pyruvic transaminase. American Journal of Pathology 1957;28:56-63.
- Slaoui M, Fiette L. Histopathology procedure: From tissue sampling to histopathological evaluation. Methods in Molecular Biology 2011;691:69-80.
- Hyeung S, Hyo CA, Sae K. Hypolipemic effect of aqueous extracts of Picrorrhi zarhizoma in Poloxamer-407 induced hyperlipidemic mouse. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 2006;105:380-6.
- Ameh DA, Adejo EB, James DB. Effect of Garcinal kola biflavonoid fractions on some biochemical parameters of P407-induced hyperlipidemia rats: A phytopreventive and phytotheraupeutic studies. Journal of Comparative Clinical Pathology 2013;2(3):23-25.
- Johnston TP, Palmer WK. Mechanism of poloxamer 407-induced hypertriglyceridemia in the rat. Biochemical Pharmacology 2003;46:1037-42.
- Lu LS, Wu CC, Hung LM, Chiang MT, Lin CT, Lin CW, Su MJ. Apocynin alleviated hepatic oxidative burden and reduced liver injury in hypercholesterolaemia. International Journal of Biomedical Toxicology 2007;27:529537.
- Chavan SD, Patil SB, Naikwade NS. Biochemical and Histopathological Studies (Retz) Nees [family ACANTHACEAE]. Royal Botanical Gardens; 2012.
- Johnston TP. The Poloxamer (407) induced murine model of dose controlled hyperlipidemia and atherosclerosis: A review of findings to date. Journal Cardiovascular Pharmacology 2004;43:595-606.
- Cheesbrough M. District Laboratory practice in Tropical countries: Tropical Health Technology. Cambridge University Press. 2006; pp. 333-363.
- Ochei JO, Kolhatkar AA. Medical Laboratory Science: Theory and Practical. Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Limited. 2008;169-287.
- Tolins C, Miller B, Keane WF. Lipid-induced glomerular injury. Nephron 1992;67(1):1-6.
- Gröne EF, Walli AK, Gröne HJ, Miller B, Seidel D. The role of lipids in nephrosclerosis and glomerulosclerosis. Atherosclerosis 1994;107(1):1-13.
- Khan MR, Siddique F, Antioxidant effects of Citharexylum spinosum in CCl4 induced nephrotoxicity in rat. Experimantal Toxicology and Pathology, 2012;64:349-355.
- Aliyu R, Adebayo AH, Gatsing D, Garba IH. The Effects of Ethanolic Leaf Extract of Commiphora Africana (Burseraceae) on Rat Liver and Kidney Functions. Journal of Pharmacological Toxicology 2006;2(1):373-9.