International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
November 2020, Vol. 5, No. 11, pp. 266-273.
The effect of extrusion variables of a locally developed single screw floating fish feed extruder
O. S. Ogundana*¹, A. P. Olalusi², J. Isah²
¹Department of Agricultural Technology, Federal College of Freshwater Fisheries Technology New Bussa, Niger State. Nigeria.
²Department of Agricultural and Environmental Engineering, Federal University of Technology Akure, Ondo State. Nigeria.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail:email@example.com
The present study examined the influence of product and process parameters on the performance of a locally developed single screw floating fish feed extruder. The influence of the experiment on the extrudates responses were studied using response surface methodology. Moisture contents wet basis of (20, 30 and 40 %), die size of (4, 6 and 8 mm), and screw speed of (158.5, 245 and 334 rpm) were used. Analysis of variance showed the effect of screw speed on floatability, it increase with increase in screw speed, having a greater expansion ratio with increase speed, speed as direct effect on specific mechanical energy and extruder efficiency. Effect of die size, increase in floatability, specific mechanical energy, with a relative increase in die size. Sinking velocity is not affected by the die size while die size have great effect on expansion ratio and effect of moisture content on floatability, sinking velocity and expansion ratio to be significant. While floatability increased with increased screw speed and increased moisture content and sinking velocity decreased with increased screw speed and increased with increased moisture content. Expansion ratio increased with increased screw speed and moisture content. Specific mechanical energy increased with increased screw speed and decreased with increased moisture content. The extruder efficiency decreased with increased speed and moisture content.
Keywords: Extrudates; Extruder; Evaluation; Fish feed; Floating; Speed.
- Adekola KA. Influence of Food Extruder Die dimension on Extruded Product expansion. Journal of Advanced in Agricultural Science and Technilogy 2014;2(4):52-8.
- Altan A, McCarthy KL, Maskan M. Evaluation of snack foods from barley- tomato pomace blends by extrusion processing. Journal of Food Engineering. 2008;84(2):231-42
- AOAC. American Association of Cereal Chemists International. Method 44-19, Moisture-Air Oven Method Drying at 135⁰C. AACC Approved Methods (10th ed.) St. Paul, MN: 2000.
- Chevanan N, Rosentrater KA, and Muthukumarappan K. Effects of processing conditions on single screw extrusion of feed ingredients containing DDGS. Food and Bioprocess Technology 2008;3(1):111-20.
- Ding QB, Ainsworth P, Tucker G, Marson H. The effect of extrusion conditions on the physicochemical properties and sensory characteristics of rice-based expanded snacks. Journal of Food Engineering 2005;66:283-9.
- FAO. Fisheries statistics http://www.fao.org. 2003; Accessed 13th Jan.2006.
- Gabriel UU, Akinrotimi OA, Bekibele DO, Onunkwo DN, Anyanwu PE. Locally Produced Fish Feed: Potentials for Aquaculture. African Journal of Agricultural Research 2007;2(7):287-95.
- Jamu DM, Ayinla OA. Potential for the development of aquaculture in Africa NAGA. 2003;26:9-1 3
- Kannadhason S, Muthukumarappan K, Rosentrater KA. Content on extruded aquaculture feed containing DDGS. Food and Bioprocess Technology 2011;4:282-94.
- Ogundana OS, Oyerinde AS. Optimization of Heat and Mass Transfer Process in Single Screw Floating Fish Feed Extruder. Journal of Engineering Research and Reports 2020;15(1):34-43.
- Ojo T. Development of a Fish Feed Extruder. Unpublished Thesis for M.Tech in Agricultural and Environmental Engineering Department. Futa, 2014.
- Owa TW, Olalusi AP, Isa J, Ogundana OS. Effect of Machine and Process Parameters on the Performance of a Single Screw Floating Fish Feed Extruder. International Journal of Engineering Science and Research Technology 2018;7:111-5.
- Partos L. Fish Feed Cost to remain high. www.seafoodsource.com/newsarticle detail.aspx. id:429498760. 2010.
- Ratankumar Singh RK, Majumdar RK, and Venkateshwarlu G. Optimum conditions for improving physical properties of fish-cereal based snacks by response surface methodology. Journal of Food Science and Technology 2014;51(9):1827-36.
- Riaz MN. Extruders and expanders in Pet Food, Aquatic and Livestock Feeds, Agrimedia GmbH, Clenze, Germany, 2007; pp. 387.
- Robin F, Engmann J, Pineau N, Chanvrier H, Bovet N, Della VG. Extrusion, structure and mechanical properties of complex starchy foams. Journal of Food Engineering 2010;98 (1):19-27
- Suvendu B. Twin-Screw extrusion of rice-green gram blend: Extrusion and extrudate characteristics. Journal of food Engineering. 1997;32(1):83-99.
- Zhuang H, Chen H, Xie Z, Zhao J, Xu X. Effect of extrusion parameters on physicochemical properties of hybrid Indica rice (Type 9718) extrudates. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation 2010;34:1080-102.