January 2019, Vol. 4, No 1, pp 1-8.
Effects of Lifestyle on Fertility in Women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
P. Mounika*, R. Mounika Vinusha, K. Raj Kiran
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Vignan Institute of Pharmaceutical Technology,Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India - 530049.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is one of the most common endocrine disorders affecting reproductive age women worldwide. Women with PCOS experience absent or infrequent menses, infertility, acne, and excess hair growth, and ultrasound images show enlarged multicystic ovaries. Symptoms of PCOS include the endocrine system and reproductive signs which occur in the shape of amenorrhea or oligomenorrhea, hirsutism, obesity, acne, male pattern hair loss and reproductive disorders. IR is found in women with PCOS irrespective of their weight though it is more common with increasing weight and waist circumference (WC), which is especially significant as PCOS women are more likely to be overweight and have central obesity compared to the general population. Overweight and obesity affect reproductive capacity in the general population as well as in subfertile couples. Ovulatory subfertile women with a body mass index (BMI) of 29 kg/m2 or higher than 29kg/m2 have 4% lower pregnancy rate per kg/m2 increase per year, compared to ovulatory subfertile women with a BMI below 29. Lifestyle modification is widely accepted as a first line of treatment for women with PCOS to optimize their health before and after with any fertility treatment. Weight loss and lifestyle management have been shown to improve mood states and reduce depressive symptoms in overweight and obese women without PCOS. This provided evidence that although weight loss is important, dietary composition may also be an influencing factor.
Keywords: Polycystic ovarian syndrome; Obesity; Fertility; Lifestyle.
- Dunaif A. Insulin Resistance and the Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Mechanism and Implications for Pathogenesis. Endocr Rev 1997;18(6):774-800.
- Marbat MM, Ali MA, Hadi AM. The use of Nigella sativa as a single agent in treatment of male infertility. Tikrit J Pharma Sci 2013;9(1):19-29.
- Blundell R. Causes of infertility. Int J Mol Med Adv Sci 2007;3(1):63-5.
- Fauser BC, Tarlatzis BC, Rebar RW, Legro RS, Balen AH, Lobo R, Carmina E, Chang J, Yildiz BO, Laven JS, Boivin J, Petraglia F, Wijeyeratne CN, Norman RJ, Dunaif A, Franks S, Wild RA, Dumesic D, Barnhart K. Consensus on women’s health aspects of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): the Amsterdam ESHRE/ASRM-Sponsored 3rd PCOS Consensus Workshop Group. Fertil Steril. 2012; 97(1):28-38.
- Pourghassem Gargari B, Houjeghani S, Farzadi L, Houjeghani S, Safaeiyan A. Relationship between Serum Leptin, Ghrelin and Dietary Macronutrients in Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Int J Fertil Steril 2015;9(3):313-21
- Jalilian A, Kiani F, Sayehmiri F, Sayehmiri K, Khodaee Z, Akbari M. Prevalence of polycystic ovary syndrome and its associated complications in Iranian women: A meta-analysis. Iran J Reprod Med 2015;13(10):591-604.
- Nardo LG, Patchava S, Laing I. Polycystic ovary syndrome: pathophysiology, molecular aspects and clinical implications. Panminerva Med 2008;50(4):267-78.
- Xita N, Tsatsoulis A. Review: fetal programming of polycystic ovary syndrome by androgen excess: evidence from experimental, clinical, and genetic association studies. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006;91(5):1660-6.
- Moran LJ, Norman RJ & Teede HJ. Metabolic risk in PCOS: phenotype and adiposity impact. Trends Endocrinol Metab 2015;26:136-43.
- Stepto NK, Cassar S, Joham AE, Hutchison SK, Harrison CL, Goldstein RF, Teede HJ. Women with polycystic ovary syndrome have an intrinsic insulin resistance on euglycaemic-hyperinsulaemic clamp. Hum Reprod 2013;28:777-84.
- Lim SS, Davies MJ, Norman RJ, Moran LJ. Overweight, obesity and central obesity in women with polycystic ovary syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Hum Reprod Update 2012;18: 618-37.
- Humphreys L, Costarelli V. Implementation of dietary and general lifestyle advice among women with polycystic ovarian syndrome. J R Soc Promot Health 2008;128(4):190-5.
- Pender NJ. Health promotion in nursing practice. Norwalk: Appleton; 1987.
- Moran LJ, Pasquali R, Teede HJ, Hoeger KM, Norman RJ. Treatment of obesity in polycystic ovary syndrome: a position statement of the Androgen Excess and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Society. Fertil Steril 2009;92(6):1966-82.
- Pelusi C, Pasquali R. Polycystic ovary syndrome in adolescents: pathophysiology and treatment implications. Treat Endocrinol 2003;2(4):215-30.
- Brewer CJ, Balen AH. The adverse effects of obesity on conception and implantation. Reproduction 2010;140(3):347-64.
- Pasquali R, Patton L, Gambineri A. Obesity and infertility. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes 2007;14(6):482-7.
- Ramlau-Hansen CH, Thulstrup AM, Nohr EA, Bonde JP, Sorensen TI, Olsen J: Subfecundity in overweight and obese couples. Hum Reprod 2007;22:1634-7.
- van der Steeg JW, Steures P, Eijkemans MJ, Habbema JD, Hompes PG, Burggraaff JM, Oosterhuis GJ, Bossuyt PM, van der Veen F, Mol BW: Obesity affects spontaneous pregnancy chances in subfertile, ovulatory women. Hum Reprod 2008;23:324-8.
- Schokker DF, Visscher TL, Nooyens AC, van Baak MA, Seidell JC: Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the Netherlands. Obes Revm 2007;8:101-8.
- Teede HJ, Misso ML, Deeks AA, Moran LJ, Stuckey BG, Wong JL, Norman RJ, Costello MF. Assessment and management of polycystic ovary syndrome: summary of an evidence-based guideline. Med J Aust 2011;195(6):S65-112.
- Practice Committee of American Society for Reproductive Medicine, Society for Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility. Optimizing natural fertility: a committee opinion. Fertil Steril 2013;100:631-7.
- Obermann-Borst SA, Vujkovic M, De Vries JH, Wildhagen MF, Looman CW, De Jonge R, Steegers EA, Steegers-Theunissen RP. A maternal dietary pattern characterised by fish and seafood in association with the risk of congenital heart defects in the offspring. BJOG 2011;118:1205-15.
- Lundgren M, Svensson M, Lindmark S, Renstrom F, Ruge T, Eriksson JW. Fat cell enlargement is an independent marker of insulin resistance and ‘‘hyperleptinaemia’’. Diabetologia 2007;50:625-33.
- Kaukua J, Pekkarinen T, Sane T, Mustajoki P. Health related quality of life in obese outpatients losing weight with very-low-energy diet and behavior modification: a 2-y follow-up study. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2003;27:1072-80.
- Lemoine S, Rossell N, Drapeau V, Poulain M, Garnier S, Sanguignol F. Effect of weight reduction on quality of life and eating behaviors in obese women. Menopause 2007;14:432-40.
- Kuchenbecker WK. In women with polycystic ovary syndrome and obesity, loss of intra-abdominal fat is associated with resumption of ovulation. Hum Reprod 2011;26(9):2505-12.
- Clark A, Thornley B, Tomlinson L, Galletley C, Norman R. Weight loss in obese infertile women results in improvement in reproductive outcome for all forms of fertility treatment. Hum Reprod 1998;13:1502-5.
- Clark AM, Ledger W, Galletly C, Tomlinson L, Blaney F, Wang X. Weight loss results in significant improvement in pregnancy and ovulation rates in an ovulatory obese women. Hum Reprod 1995;10:2705-12.
- Galletly C, Moran L, Noakes M, Clifton P, Tomlinson L, Norman R. Psychological benefits of a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet in obese women with polycystic ovary syndrome—a pilot study. Appetite 2007;49:590-3.
- Mavropoulos JC, Yancy WS, Hepburn J, Westman EC. The effects of a low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet on the polycystic ovary syndrome: a pilot study. Nutr Metab (Lond) 2005;2:35.
- Siristatidis C, Sergentanis TN, Vogiatzi P. In vitro maturation in women with vs. without polycystic ovarian syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One 2015;10(8):1-19.
- Carmina E. Mild androgen disorders. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006;20:207-20.
- Guastella E, Longo RA, Carmina E. Clinical and endocrine characteristics of the main PCOS phenotypes. Fertil Steril 2010;94:2197-201.
- Franks S. Polycystic ovary syndrome. N Engl J Med 1995;333:853-61.
- Franks S, Stark J, Hardy K. Follicle dynamics and anovulation in polycystic ovary syndrome. Hum Reprod Update 2008;14:367-78.
- Erickson, G. F., Magoffin, D. A., Garzo, V. G., Cheung, A. P., & Chang, R. J. Granulosa cells of polycystic ovaries: are they normal or abnormal? Human Reprod 1992;7(3);293-9.
- Mason HD, Willis DS, Beard RW, Winston RM, Margara R, Franks S. Estradiol production by granulosa cells of normal and polycystic ovaries: relationship to menstrual cycle history and concentrations of gonadotropins and sex steroids in follicular fluid. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1994;79:1355-60.
- Willis DS, Watson H, Mason HD. Premature response to luteinizing hormone of granulosa cells from anovulatory women with polycystic ovary syndrome: relevance to the mechanism of anovulation. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1998;83:3984-91.
- Dumesic DA, Meldrum DR, Katz-Jaffe MG, Krisher RL, Schoolcraft WB. Oocyte environment: follicular fluid and cumulus cells are critical for oocyte health. FertilSteril 2015;103:303-16.
- Pasquali R, Pelusi C, Genghini S, Cacciari M, Gambineri A. Obesity and reproductive disorders in women. Hum Reprod Update 2003;9(4):359-72.
- Clark AM, Ledger W, Galletley C, Tomlinson L, Blaney F, Wang X, Norman R. Weight loss results in significant improvement in pregnancy and ovulation rates in anovulatory obese women. Human Reprod 1995;10(10):2705-12.
- Teitelman M, Grotegut CA, Williams NN, Lewis JD. The impact of bariatric surgery on menstrual patterns. Obes Surg 2006;16:1457-63.
- Thessaloniki ESHRE/ASRM–Sponsored PCOS Consensus Workshop Group. Consensus on infertility treatment related to polycystic ovary syndrome. Fertil Steril 2008;89:505-22.
- Jungheim ES, Frolova AI, Jiang H, Riley JK. Relationship between serum polyunsaturated fatty acids and pregnancy in women undergoing in vitro fertilization. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2013;98:e1364-8.
- Amer SAK. Polycystic ovary syndrome: diagnosis and management of related infertility. Obstet Gynaecol Reprod Med 2009;19:263-70.
- Huber-Buckholz MM, Carey DG, Norman RJ. Restoration of reproductive potential by lifestyle modification in obese polycystic ovary syndrome: role of insulin sensitivity and luteinizing hormone. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1999;84:1470-4.
- Wright CE, Zborowski JV, Talbott EO, McHugh-Pemu K, Youk A. Dietary intake, physical activity, and obesity in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2004;28:1026-32.
- Ahmadi A, Akbarzadeh M, Mohammadi F, Akbari M, Jafari B, Tolide-Ie HR. Anthropometric characteristics and dietary pattern of women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Indian J Endocrinol Metab 2013;17:672-6.
- Barr S, Hart K, Reeves S, Sharp K, Jeanes YM. Habitual dietary intake, eating pattern and physical activity of women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Eur J Clin Nutr 2011;65:1126-32.
- Moran LJ, Ranasinha S, Zoungas S, McNaughton SA, Brown WJ, Teede HJ. The contribution of diet, physical activity and sedentary behavior to body mass index in women with and without polycystic ovary syndrome. Hum Reprod 2013;28:2276-83.
- Álvarez-Blasco F, Luque-Ramirez M, Escobar-Morreale HF. Diet composition and physical activity in overweight and obese premenopausal women with or without polycystic ovary syndrome. Gynecol Endocrinol 2011;27:978-81.
- Graff SK, Mario FM, Alves BC, Spritzer PM. Dietary glycemic index is associated with less favorable anthropometric and metabolic profiles in polycystic ovary syndrome women with different phenotypes. Fertil Steril 2013;100:1081-8.
- Lin AW, Lujan ME. Comparison of dietary intake and physical activity between women with and without polycystic ovary syndrome: a review. Adv Nutr 2014;5:486-96.
- Teede H, Deeks A, Moran L. Polycystic ovary syndrome: a complex condition with psychological, reproductive and metabolic manifestations that impacts on health across the lifespan. BMC Med 2010;8:4.
- Legro, R., Barnhart, H., Schlaff, W., Carr, B., Diamond, M., Carson, S., Myers, E. Clomiphene, Metformin, or both for infertility in the polycystic ovary syndrome. New England Journal of Medicine 2007;356(6):551-66.
- Wathes DC, Abayasekara DR, Aitken RJ. Polyunsaturated fatty acids in male and female reproduction. Biol Reprod 2007;77:190-201.
- Stamets K, Taylor DS, Kunselman A, Demers LM, Pelkman CL, Legro RS. A randomized trial of the effects of two types of short-term hypocaloric diets on weight loss in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Fertil Steril 2004;81(3):630-7.
- Moran LJ, Noakes M, Clifton PM, Tomlinson L, Galletly C, Norman RJ. Dietary composition in restoring reproductive and metabolic physiology in overweight women with polycystic ovary syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003;88(2):812-9.
- Douglas CC, Gower BA, Darnell BE, Ovalle F, Oster RA, Azziz R. Role of diet in the treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome. FertilSteril 2006;85(3):679-88.
- Kasim-Karakas SE, Almario RU, Gregory L, Wong R, Todd H, Lasley BL. Metabolic and endocrine effects of a polyunsaturated fatty acid-rich diet in polycystic ovary syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2004;89(2):615-20.
- Krebs M, Krssak M, Bernroider E, Anderwald C, Brehm A, Meyerspeer M. Mechanism of amino acid induced skeletal muscle insulin resistance in humans. Diabetes 2002;51(3):599-605.
- Linn T, Santosa B, Gronemeyer D, Aygen S, Scholz N, Busch M. Effect of long-term dietary protein intake on glucose metabolism in humans. Diabetologia 2000;43(10):1257-65.
- Bozdag G, Mumusoglu S, Zengin D, Karabulut E, Yildiz BO. The prevalence and phenotypic features of polycystic ovary syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Hum Reprod 2016;31:2841-55.
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology