International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
August 2018, Vol. 3, No. 8, pp 181-189.
Nanobiocomposite of fungal asparaginase and magnetic nanoparticle: Synthesis, Characterization and Anticancer Activity against MCF-7 and HT-29 Cancer cell lines
G. Baskar*, Garrick Bikku George
Department of Biotechnology, St. Joseph’s College of Engineering, Chennai – 600 119. India.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
Nanobiotechnology is a new era paving a way to develop advanced technology especially in the field of medicine. In the present work, magnetic nanobiocomposite of fungal asparaginase was produced using polyethylene glycol. The formation of magnetic nanobiocomposite of asparaginase was confirmed by laser light scattering and confirmed using UV-Visible spectrophotometer. The specific activity of fungal asparaginase was increased from 320 U/mg of crude asparaginase to 385.81 U/mg of magnetic nanobiocomposite. The primary amines majorly involved in binding of asparaginase on magnetic nanoparticls were confirmed using FT-IR analysis. The AFM analysis has revealed the size of magnetic nanobiocomposite in the range of 130 to 160 nm. The synthesized magnetic nanobiocomposite has shown good cytotoxicity on MCF-7 and HT-29 cancer cell lines. Hence synthesized magnetic nanobiocomposite of fungal asparaginase could be used as an active anticancer drug.
Keywords: Fungal asparaginase; Nanobiocomposite; Anticancer drug; Cancer cells; Magnetic nanoparticles; Characterization.
- Shiho T, Yojiro Y, Hiroshi SB, Tsutomu N. Synthesis and bioanalytical applications of specific-shaped metallic nanostructures: A review. Analytica Chimica Acta 2012;716:76-91.
- Buzea C, Pacheco II, Kevin R. Nanomaterials and nanoparticles: sources and toxicity. Biointerphases 2007;02:MR17-71.
- Freitas Jr AR. What is nanomedicine, Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine 2005;1:2-5.
- Choi CH, Alabi CA, Webster P, Davis ME. Mechanism of active targeting in solid tumors with transferrin-containing gold nanoparticles. Proc Natl Acad Sci 2010;107:1235-40.
- Baskar G, Chandhuru J, Fahad KS, Praveen AS, Chamundeeswari M, Muthukumar T. Anticancer activity of fungal L-asparaginase conjugated with zinc oxide nanoparticle. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine 2015;26:43.
- Smith AM, Dave S, Nie S, True L, Gao X. Multicolor quantum dots for molecular diagnostics of cancer. Expert Rev Mol Diagn 2006;6:231-44.
- Suphiya P, Ranjita M, Sanjeeb KS. Nanoparticles: A boon to drug delivery, therapeutics, diagnostics and imaging. Analytica Chimica Acta 2012;716:7-91.
- Gullotti E, Yeo Y. Extracellularly activated nanocarriers: a new paradigm of tumor targeted drug delivery. Mol Pharm 2009;6:1041-51.
- Haley EE, Fisher GA. The requirement of L-asparagine of mouse leukemia cells L5178Y in culture. Cancer Res 1961;21:532-36.
- Mitchell I, Hoogendoorn H, Giles AR. Increased endogenous thrombin generation in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia: risk of thrombotic complications in L-asparaginase induced antithrombin III deficiency. Blood 1994;83:386-391.
- Baskar G, Renganathan S. Statistical and evolutionary optimisation of operating conditions for enhanced production of fungal L-asparaginase. Chemical Pap 65;2011:798-804
- Hawkins DS, Park JR, Thomson BG, Felgenhauer JL, Holcenberg JS, Panosyan EH, Avramis VI. Asparaginase pharmacokinetics after intensive polyethylene glycol conjugated L-asparaginase therapy for children with relapsed acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Clinical Cancer Research 2004;10:5335-41.
- Rizzari C, Citterio M, Zucchetti M, Conter V, Chiesa R, Colombini A, Malguzzi S, Silvestri D, D'Incalci M. A pharmacological study on pegylated asparaginase used in front-line treatment of children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Haematologica 2006;91:24-31.
- Baskar G, Chandhuru J, Praveen AS, Fahad KS. Anticancer activity of iron oxide nanobiocomposite of fungal asparaginase. International Journal of Modern Science and Technology 2017;2:98-104.
- Baskar G, Renganathan S. Optimization of L-asparaginase production by Aspergillus terreus MTCC 1782 using response surface methodology and artificial neural network linked genetic algorithm. Asia-Pac J Chem Eng 2012;7:212-20.
- Shen YF, Tang J, Nie ZH, Wang YD, Ren Y, Zuo L. Preparation and application of magnetic Fe3O4 nanoparticles for wastewater purification. Sep Purif Technol 2009;68:312-319.
- Wriston Jr JC, Yellin TO. L-asparaginase: A review. Adv Enzymol Relat Areas Mol Biol 1973;39:185-248.
- Bradford M. A rapid and sensitive method method for the quantification of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem 1974;72: 248-54.
- Mosmann T. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: Application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods 1983;65:55-63.Baskar G, George GB. Glutaraldehyde-Mediated Synthesis of Asparaginase-Bound Maghemite Nanocomposites: Cytotoxicity against Human Colon Adenocarcinoma Cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2016;17:4237-40.