June 2018, Vol. 3, No. 6, pp 138-144.
Ultrasonic assisted extraction of biooil from Ricinus communis seeds: Optimization using Response Surface Methodology and Artificial Neural Network
G. Baskar¹՚*, N. Mohanapriya¹, S. Roselin Nivetha¹, R. Saravanathamizhan²
¹Department of Biotechnology, St. Joseph’s College of Engineering, Chennai – 600 119. India.
²Department of Chemical Engineering, A. C. Technology, Anna University, Chennai- 600025. India.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Currently, there is high energy demand due to fast depletion of fossil fuel resources. Biofuels are the best alternative sources to meet the future energy demand. The present work was focused on optimization of ultrasonic assisted extraction of biooil from Ricinus communis seeds using Response Surface Methodology (RSM) and Artificial Neural Network (ANN) linked Genetic Algorithm (GA). Extraction parameters such as solvent concentration, mass of seed, extraction time and temperature were optimized under the constant influence of ultrasonic bath at 50 KHz. The RSM and ANN predicted biooil yields were compared to the experimental yield. The ANN model was found more efficient than RSM. The maximum biooil yield of 55.23% was obtained for optimal solvent concentration of 8 (v/w), mass of seed of 4 g, extraction time of 40 min at 40°C under the ultrasonic bath.
Keywords: Ultrasonic extraction; Ricinus communis seeds; Biooil; Optimization; Artificial Neural Network.
- Demirbas A. New liquid biofuels from vegetable oils via catalytic pyrolysis. Energ Educ Sci Technol. 2008;21:1-59.
- Panwar NL, Shrirame HY, Rathore NS, Jindal S, Kurchania AK. Performance evaluation of a diesel engine fueled with methyl ester of castor seed oil. Appl Therm Eng. 2010;30:245-49.
- Ong HC, Silitonga AS, Masjuki HH, Mahlia TMI, Chong WT, Boosroh MH. Production and comparative fuel properties of biodiesel from non-edible oils: Jatropha curcas, Sterculia foetida and Cei pentandra. Energ Convers Managt. 2013;73:245-55.
- Forero CLB. Biodiesel from castor oil: A promising fuel for cold weather. Renew Energ Power Qual J. 2005;1:59-62.
- Mutlu H, Meier MAR. Castor oil as a renewable resource for the chemical industry. Eur J Lipid Sci Technol. 2010;112:10-30.
- Aldrich Handbook of Fine Chemicals and Laboratory Equipment. Sigma-Aldrich. 2003.
- Rajagopal D. Rethinking Current Strategies for Biofuel Production in India. Energy and Resources Energy and Resources Group, University of California, Berkeley, USA. 2007.
- Vinay RP, Gerard GD, Lakshmi CKV, Randall M, Bryan John JS. Castor Oil: Properties, uses, and optimization of processing parameters in commercial production. Lipid Insights. 2016;9:1-12.
- Orijajogun JO, Ayegba CO. Physicochemical properties and fatty acid composition of castor bean Ricinus communis L. seed oil. Am J App Ind Chem, 2017;3:1-4.
- Meneghetti M. Biodiesel from Castor Oil: A Comparison of Ethanolysis versus Methanolysis. Energy Fuels. 2006;20:2262-65.
- Sarve A, Sonawane SS, Varma MN. 2015. Ultrasound assisted biodiesel production from sesame (Sesamum indicum L.) oil using barium hydroxide as a heterogeneous catalyst:Comparative assessment of prediction abilities between response surface methodology (RSM) and artificial neural network (ANN). Ultrason Sonochem. 26:218–228.
- Hardcastle, J. L., J. C. Ball, F. Hong, R. G. Compton, S. D. Bull, and S. G. Davies. 2000. Sono electrochemical and sonochemical effects of cavitation: correlation with interfacial cavitation induced by 20 KHz ultrasound. Ultrason. Sonochem. 7:7–14.
- Baskar G, Renganathan S. Statistical and evolutionary optimization of operating conditions for enhanced production of fungal L-asparaginase. Chem Pap. 2011;65:798-804.
- Mohamed L, Kettani YE, Ali A, Mohamed E, Mohamed J. Application of Response Surface Methodology for Optimization of Extracellular Glucoamylase Production by Candida guilliermondii. Pak J Biol Sci. 2017;20:100-107.
- Nasouri K, Shoushtari AM, Khamforoush M. Comparison between artificial neural network and response surface methodology in the prediction of the production rate of polyacrylonitrile electrospun nanofibers. Fiber Polym. 2013;14:1849-56.
- Huang SM, Kuo CH, Chen CA, Liu YC, Shieh CJ. RSM and ANN modeling-based optimization approach for the development of ultrasound-assisted liposome encapsulation of piceid. Ultrason Sonochem. 2017;32:112-22.
- Eghtedaei R, Abdi-khanghah M, Najar BSA, Baghban A. 2017. Viscosity estimation of mixed oil using RBF-ANN approach. Petrol Sci Technol. 2017;35:1731-36.
- Ameer K, Chun BS, Kwon JH. Optimization of supercritical fluid extraction of steviol glycosides and total phenolic content from Stevia rebaudiana (Bertoni) leaves using response surface methodology and artificial neural network modeling. Ind Crops Prod. 2017;109:672-85.
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology