March 2018, Vol. 3, No 3, pp 53-58.
Organizational Culture in Telangana Construction Projects
A. M. Naveen, P. Vidhya Priya
Department of Management Studies,Kongu Engineering College, Perundurai – 638060. India.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
In Telangana, infrastructure development has increased the growth of the state economy and has generated large amount of job opportunities. Hence those projects involve a large amount of investment to carry out. In view of that, if any sort of impact of culture would lead to waste of resources and delay of construction. In this connection, this study mainly discusses the critical cultural factors and its assessment techniques through comparative study of construction projects across Telangana by using questionnaire survey which would reveal the strong correlation between the culture followed in project and the outcome of the project. About 60 relevant articles published over the last 20 years have been reviewed. The review resulted that a simple assessment technique will be developed for each project task to assess the impact of culture in construction project easily and quickly, which will encourage the practitioners to do the cultural analysis in their project. This study concluded that the earlier cultural identification in the project assessment of the construction will lead to the better estimation of the escalation on time overrun. Such cultural assessments help to successful completion of the project.
Keywords: Telangana; Construction Projects; Culture; Performance; Questionnaire survey; Practitioners.
- Hofstede G. Cultural Constraints in Management Theories. The Academy of Management Executive.1993;7(1):81-94.
- Fuber A, Smith S, Crapper M. A Case Study of the Impact of Cultural differences during a construction project in Ghana. In: Smith SD (Ed) Proceedings of the ARCOM 28th Annual Conference, Edinburg, UK: 2012.
- Chang SY, Al Bahar SK, Husain AM, Zhao J. Advances in Civil Engineering and Building Materials. CRC Press; Hong Kong: 2014.
- Renuka SM, Umarani C, Kamal S. A Review on Critical Risk Factors in the Life Cycle of Construction Projects. Journal of Civil Engineering Research. 2014;4(2):31-36.
- Mustafa MA, Jamal F, Al-Bahar. Project Risk Assessment Using the Analytic Hierarchy Process. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management. 1991;38(1):46-52.
- Chapman JA. The Work of Managers in new Organizational Contexts. Journal of Management Development. 2001;20(1):55-68.
- Mohammad R, Kirana K, Kamaruddin BH, Zainuddin A, Ghazali MC. The Mediatory Effect of Self-Efficacy on the Relationship between Religious Values and Entrepreneurial Orientations: A Case of Malay Owner Managers of SMEs in Manufacturing Industry. Journal of Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2014;130(1):96-104.
- Rezakhani P. Classifying Key Risk Factors in Construction Projects. Journal of Buletinul Institutului Politehnic din lasi Sectia Constructii Arhitectura. 2012;58(2):27-38.
- Joshua Goh OS, Andrew Hebrank C, Bradley Sutton P, Michael Chee WL, Sam Sim KY, Denise Park C. Culture-related differences in default network activity during visual-spatial judgments. Journal of Social Cognitive Neuro Science. 2013; 8(2):134-142.
- Lazzerini B, Mkrtchyan L. Analyzing Risk Impact Factors Using Extended Fuzzy Cognitive Maps. IEEE Systems Journals. 2011;5(2):288-297.
- Rezakhani P. A Review of Fuzzy Risk Assessment Models for Construction Projects. Slovak Journal of Civil Engineering.2012;20(3):35-40.
- Abedi M, Mohamad MF, Fathi MS. Effects of Construction Delays on Construction Project Objectives. 1st Iranian Students Scientific Conference in Malaysia. UPM, Malaysia: 2011.
- Dey PK. Benchmarking project management practices of Caribbean organizations using analytic hierarchy process. Benchmarking: An International Journal. 2002;9(4):326-356.
- Ai Hasani M, Tularam GA, Regan M. Impact of Cultural Risk Factors on Project Success in the UAE Construction Industry. Proceedings of the 22nd International Congress on Modeling and Simulation: Managing cumulative risks through model-based processes, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia: 2017.
- Trigunarsytah B. Organizational culture influence on client involvement. Journal of Construction and Architectural Management. 2017;24(6):1155-1169.
- Zhao Y, Feng Y, Li C. Effect of organizational cultural differences and mutual trust on contract management of nonequity construction project alliances. Journal of Advances in Civil Engineering. 2018;8(1):80-88.
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology