International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
December 2018, Vol. 3, No. 12, pp. 269-276.
Extraction and Characterization of Ethiopian Pineapple Leaf Fiber
Gemeda Gebino, Nuredin Muhammed
Textile Chemistry Research and Innovation Centre, Ethiopian Institute of Textile and Fashion Technology, Bahir Dar University, Bahir Dar, Ethiopia..
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
Natural fibers particularly pineapple leaf fiber (PALF) plays important role in the uprising world industry. This fiber is extracted from the leaves of pineapple plant. Pineapple is cultivated for local consumption in Ethiopia within the regions. The pineapple leaves produce agro waste that cause problems for its disposal. This waste can be used as a raw material for value added processing contributing to maintain an ecological balance in nature. This study investigates simple methods of extracting fibres from its leaves. The method of extraction is Scrapping, retting and decorticating methods. The leaves are processed to explore practical utilization of the fibres. The pineapple leaf fiber yielded between 2.5-3%. Under this study the fibers physical and mechanical structure (morphology and molecular structures) are analyzed through different instrument.
Keywords: Pineapple leaf fiber; Extraction; Retting; Cultivation.
- Adam A, Yusof Y, Yahya SA. Performance of pineapple leaf fiber extraction apparatus through different feeding angle. In: International Integrated Engineering Summit (IIES 2014), 1-4 December 2014, Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia, Johor, Malaysia.
- Motaleb K, Shariful Islam M, Hoque MB. Improvement of Physicomechanical Properties of Pineapple Leaf Fiber Reinforced Composite. International Journal of Biomaterials 2018;Article ID 7384360.
- Adam A, Yusof Y, Yahya A. Extraction of Pineapple Leaf Fibre: Josapine and Moris. Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences 2016; 11(1):161-65.
- Nadirah W.W., M. Jawaid, AA Al Masri. Cell wall morphology, chemical and thermal analysis of cultivated pineapple leaf fibres for industrial applications. Journal of Polymers and the Environment 2012;20(2):404-11.
- Reddy MI, Kumar MA, Raju CRB. Tensile and flexural properties of jute, pineapple leaf and glass fiber reinforced polymer matrix hybrid composites. Materials Today: Proceedings 2018;5(1):458-62.
- Paul D, Bhattacharyya SK, Banik S, Basu MK, Mukherjee AB. Extracting pineapple leaf fibre. Appropriate Technology 1998; 24(4):1-27.
- Hidayat P. Teknologi pemanfaatan serat daun nanas sebagai alternatif bahan baku tekstil. Teknoin 2008;13(2):31-35.
- Vaidya Soocheta A, Rajeswaree S. Extraction and Processing of Pineapple Leaf Fibres. University of Mauritius Research Journal 2017;23A:42-63.
- Asim M, Nasir M, Jawaid M, Dashtizadeh Z. A review on pineapple leaves fibre and its composites. International Journal of Polymer Science 2015;Article ID 950567.
- Sri Endah S, Didit S. Assessing mechanical Properties of Pineapple Leaf Fiber Reinforced Composites to Automotive Applications. International Journal of Composite Materials 2018:8(3):57-63.
- Mengesha A, Ayenew B, Tadesse T. Acclimatization of in vitro propagated pineapple (Ananas comosuss (L.), var. smooth cayenne) plantlets to ex vitro condition in Ethiopia. American Journal of Plant Sciences 2013;4(2):317-23.
- Lemma M, Gebremedhin B, Hoekstra D. Capacity Development for Market-oriented Agricultural Development: Approaches, Experiences and Lessons from LIVES Project in Ethiopia. 2016.
- Debasis N, Sanjoy D. A pineapple leaf fibre decorticator assembly. India Patents, 2007:2334.
- Kannojiya R, Kumar G, Ravi R, Tiyer NK. Pandey KM. Extraction of pineapple fibres for making commercial products. Journal of Environmental Research and Development 2013;7(4):1385-90.
- Hidayat P. Pineapple Leaves The Use of Fiber Technology As An Alternative Textile Raw Materials. Bahasa). Teknoin 2008;13:31-5.
- Dong CH, Zhou LV, Liang Z, Hong JS, Na Na L, Ping Z. Structure and Characteristics of Pineapple Leaf Fibers Obtained from Pineapple Leaves. Advanced Materials Research. 2014; 998-999:316-319.
- Rowell RM, Han JS, Rowell JS. Characterization and factors effecting fiber properties. Natural Polymers and Agrofibers Bases Composites. Embrapa Instrumentacao Agropecuaria, Sao Carlos, Brazil, 2000.