International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology, Vol. 2, No. 5, 2017, Pages 212-216.
Design and Simulation of FIR Filter using Multiple Constant Multiplication
S. Kirthica*, A. Unmai
Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Arasu Engineering College, Kumbakonam-612501. India.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
Finite impulse response (FIR) digital filters have potential for high-speed and low-power realization through parallel processing. In this paper, we suggest an efficient implementation of FIR filters using Pipelined Multiple Constant Multiplication (PMCM) technique. MCM methods are widely used for reducing computational complexity of FIR filters. The concept of pipelining has been incorporated that results in reducing the delay of the FIR filter, thereby enhancing the speed and reducing the power dissipation as compared to the non-pipelined techniques. The speed of the multipliers can be increased by reducing the number of partial products. Parallel multipliers are fastest among all multipliers. Booth multiplier is one of the parallel multiplier that operate on signed operands in two’s complement form and have high performance, low power consumption Experimentation on block filters for 16 bits of different block lengths indicates that, compared to sample-by-sample MCM based FIR Filters. The simulation of this design is done by using Modelsim 6.2c. The design synthesis and power analysis are carried out using Xilinx ISE 12.1v.
Keywords: Finite impulse response; Multiple Constant Multiplication; Booth’s Muliplier; Filters.
- Pramod Kumar M, Yu P.MCM-Based Implementation of Block FIR Filters for High-Speed and Low-Power Applications. IEEE/IFIP 19th International Conference on VLSI and System-on-Chip. 2011. pp. 118-121.
- Srilakshmi G, Ratna Kavya P. A low-cost fir filter design based on multiple constant multiplication/accumulation using booth multiplier. International Journal of Advanced Research in Electrical, Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering. 2014;3(11):13364-13371.
- Aarti S, Sanjay K. VLSI implementation of pipelined fir filter. International Journal Of Innovative Research In Electrical, Electronics, Instrumentation And Control Engineering. 2013;1(5):184-188.
- Gopalana R, Parameswari A. MCM Based FIR Filter Architecture for High Performance. South Asian Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2016;2(21):83-88 .
- Venkata Suresh K, Sanath Kumar T. Design of Digit-Serial FIR Filters: Algorithms, Architectures, and a CAD Tool. International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Technology Research. 2014;3(47):9689-9694.
- Mallikarjuna E, Devaraj LS, Naresh Naik R. Design and implementation of fir filter using MCM architecture. Journal of Advancement in Engineering and Technology. 2015;2(4):2348-2931.
- Sai Sreelekha S, Vijaya Bhaskar C. An Area Efficient MCM based Digital FIR Filter for Signal Processing System. International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2015;2(2):151-155.
- Venkata Krishna O, Venkata Narasimhulu C, Satya Prasad K. Efficient VLSI Architectures for FIR Filters. IOSR Journal of VLSI and Signal Processing. 2016;6(6);37-44.
- Megha J, Pallavee J. Implementation of Booths Algorithm Multiplication of Two 16 Bit Signed Numbers using VHDL and Concept of Pipelining. International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2016;3(6):492-496.
- Shubham G, Divyam G. Pipelined structure of Modified Booth’s Multiplier. International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology. 2015;5(5):3268-3270.