International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
February-March 2021, Vol. 6, No. 2-3, pp. 31-42.
A Novel approach for designing Gear tooth Profile by Mathematical equations for three different gear types Spur, Internal, and Helical Gear and creating models using SolidWorks and CATIA
Eng. Moath Zaareer*
Department of Mechanical Engineering, United Arab Emirates University, UAE.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Gears are an important invention that is in almost every mechanical item in our life. Gears have precise calculations to draw their profile for manufacturing to handle high stresses while operating. Previous articles have complicated and time-consuming methods for drawing gear profiles lacking an appropriate method for Inner Gears (Found in Epicyclic) and Helical Gears. In this article, the author demonstrates a novel method for making a full Epicyclic gear, including Spur Gear and Inner Gear, and designing a full 3 Dimensional Computer Aided Design model. Furthermore, the article discusses the theory and equations of a Helical Gear and the method of designing a 3 Dimensional Computer Aided Design model. After outlining each Gear type method, equations are used to simulate coordinates in Excel then implemented in SolidWorks. The unique method used focuses on between teeth profile instead of casual tooth profile, which is not always applicable in unique gear parameters. The method proposed is accurate in every gear case and results in the most precise gear representation while still being simple to implement.
Keywords: Spur Gear, Helical Gear, Planetary Gear, SolidWorks, CATIA.
- Lewis MJT. Gearing in the ancient world. Endeavour 1993;17:110–115. doi: 10.1016/0160-9327(93)90099-O.
- M. ibn A. Bakr. Astrolabe by Muḥammad ibn Abī Bakr. Lewis Evans in 1924, 1221, [Online]. Available: https://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/astrolabe/catalogue/browseReport/Astrolabe_ID=165.html
- Budynas RG, Nisbett JK. Mechanical Engineering Design, 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2015.
- Babu VS. Involute Tooth Spacing, Gear Profile and 3D Gear development with Involute Tooth Spacing , Gear Profile and 3D Gear development with MATLAB ® Graphical User Interface and Solidworks. 2018:2:67–75.
- AGMA, Geometry Factors for Determining the Pitting Resistance and Bending Strength of Spur, Helical and Herringbone Gear Teeth. American Gear Manufacturers Association, 1989.
- Babu V, Tsegaw A. Involute Spur Gear Template Development by Parametric Technique Using Computer Aided Design. African Res. Rev. 2009;3:43640. doi: 10.4314/afrrev.v3i2.43640.
- Reyes O, Rebolledo A, Sanchez G. Algorithm to Describe the Ideal Spur Gear Profile. Lect. Notes Eng. Comput. Sci. 2008;2171:985–91.
- Feng F, Pan H, Hu GJ. PRO/E based parametric design of spur gears. Adv. Mater. Res. 2011;201–203:790–794. doi: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.201-203.790.
- Shrishrimal A, Patil P, Mane R. Design of Two Stage Planetary Gear Train for High Reduction Ratio. International Journal of Advance Engineering and ResearchDevelopment. 2018;5:400–8. doi: 10.15623/ijret.2015.0406025.
- Singal S. Program for involute equation to develop spur gears on Pro/E software. Gear Technol. 2002;19:27–30.
- User G, Gui I, Inventor A. Investigation and Development of Non-Symmetric Gear System using Matlab Investigation and Development of Non-Symmetric Gear System using Matlab Graphical User Interface ( GUI ) ® and Autodesk Inventor. International Journal of Industrial Engineering 2017;1:151-60.
- Abubacker KM, Suresh Babu V. Estimation and Validation of Highest Point Single Tooth Contact in Spur Gears Estimation and Validation of Highest Point Single Tooth Contact in Spur Gears using Spreadsheet Application. International Journal of Modern Science and Technology 2018;3:83-89.
- Lixin W, Wenliang H, Cad I. Solid Model Generation of Involute Cylindrical Gears. Gear Technology 2003;20(5):40-3.
- Yang SC. Study on an internal gear with asymmetric involute teeth. Mech. Mach. Theory 2007;42:977–94.doi: 10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2006.07.010.
- Babu VS, Abubacker KM. Development of Involute Profiled Spur Gear Model with Excel Spreadsheet, Solidworks and CAD Technique. Int J Mech Eng. 2018;5:5–11. doi: 10.14445/23488360/ijme-v5i5p102.
- Shuai M, Ting Z, Guo-guang J, Xiao-lin C, Han-jun G. Analytical investigation on load sharing characteristics of herringbone planetary gear train with flexible support and floating sun gear. Mech. Mach. Theory 2020;144:103670. doi: 10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2019.103670.
- Chen Z, Zhou Z, Zhai W, Wang K. Improved analytical calculation model of spur gear mesh excitations with tooth profile deviations. Mech. Mach. Theory, 2020;149:103838. doi: 10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2020.103838.
- Komal M, Bagadi R, Powar PPP. Investigation of Effect of Helix Angle and Pressure Angle on Bending Stress of Helical Gear. International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology 2020;7:184–91.