International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
August 2020, Vol. 5, No. 8, pp. 218-223.
Determination of Arsenic and Cadmium in Soil, Water and Some Vegetables Irrigated with River Tudun Wada, Kaduna State, Nigeria
Shaapera Ugbidye¹, Yakubu Yahaya¹, Godwin Magit Mafuyai²
¹Department of Chemistry, Federal University of Agriculture, P.M.B.2373, Makurdi, Benue State, Nigeria.
²Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Natural Science University of Jos, Nigeria.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
The concentrations of Arsenic (As) and Cadmium (Cd) were determined in soil, water and three vegetables (Moringa oleifera leaves, Spinach leaves and cassava leaves) around river Tudun Wada, Kaduna State, Nigeria. The results of the soil, samples revealed the mean concentration of 8.04 ± 3.3 µg/kg As and 31767 ± 11403 µg/kg Cd; in water 0.0085 ± 0.003 µg/L As and 279 ± 2.9 µg/L Cd and in vegetables: Moringa Oleifera (7.90 ± 0.2 µg/kg As and 14850 ± 100 µg/kg Cd); Spinach (7.70 ± 0.3 µg/kg As and 14800 ± 346 µg/kg Cd) and Cassava (8.10 ± 0.5 µg/kg As and 14950 ± 574 µg/kg Cd) respectively. The values of As recorded in this research in soil, water and vegetables are below FAO/WHO permissible limits with exception of Cd which is higher than FAO/WHO permissible limits in all the samples analyzed. Therefore, we solicit that farmers should engage in prudent agricultural practice to minimize the uptake of toxic metals by plants.
Keywords: Arsenic; Cadmium; River Tudun Wada; Vegetables.
- Idakwoji PA, Sheneni VD, Anyalowu PC, Odo CE, Ihuoma VE. Assessment of heavy metal levels of green leafy vegetables sourced from different markets in Lokoja, Kogi State, Nigeria. Intl J Advan Res Bio Sci 2018;5(8):5-15.
- Sobukola OP, Dairo OU, Sanni LO, Odunewu AL, Fafiolu BO. Thin layer drying process of some leafy vegetables under open sun. Food Sci Tech Interven 2007;13(1):35-40.
- D' Mellon JPF. Food safety, contamination and toxins. CABI Publishing, Wallingford, Oxon, UK, Cambridge, M.A. 2003.
- Cao HB, Chen JJ, Zhang J, Zhang H, Qiao L, Men Y. Heavy metals in rice and garden vegetables and their potential health risks to inhabitants in the vicinity of an industrial zone in Jiangsu, China. J Envi Sci 2010;22(11):1792-9.
- Osundiya MO, AYejuyo OO, Olowu RA, Bamgboye OA, and Ogunlola AO. Bioaccumulation of heavy metals in frequently consumed leafy vegetable grown along Nigeria-Benin Seme Border, West Africa. Advan Appl Sci Res 2014;5(1):1-7.
- Arora M, Kiran B, Rani S, Rani A, Kaur B, Mittal N. Heavy metal accumulation in vegetables irrigated with water from different sources. Food Chem 2008;111:811-5.
- Adah CA, Abah J, Ubwa ST, Ekele S. Soil availability and uptake of some heavy metals by three staple vegetables commonly cultivated along the south Bank of River Benue, Makuurdi, Nigeria. Intl J Envi and Bioergy 2013;8(2):56-67.
- Wang ZW, Deng XW. The Assessment of Heavy Metal Pollution in soil Tiajin Suburb in Chinese. J Tianjin Normal Uni Nat Sci Edi 2005;25(1):69-79.
- Abimbola W, Akindele S, Jokotagba O, Agbolade O, Sam-Wobo S. Analysis of heavy metals in vegetables sold in Ijebu-Igbo, Ijebu North Local Government, Ogun State, Nigeria. Intl J Sci Engr Res 2015;6:130-36.
- Mohammed SS, Batu MA, Mohammed MB. Analysis of Cr in dumpsite soil samples using AAS and EDXRF techniques. Res J Chemi Sci 2012;2:65-8.
- Nagaraj P, Aradhana N, Shivakumar A, Shrestha AK, Gowda AK. Spectrophotometric method for the determination of chromium (VI) in water samples. Envi Moni Ass 2009;157:575-82.
- Rodrigo FDS, Marco AKD, Helcio JIF. Evaluation of sample preparation methods and optimization of nickel determination in vegetable tissue, Revista Brasileira de Ciencia do Solo 2011;35:241-48.
- Mafuyai GM, Eneji IS, Sha’Ato R, Nnamonu LA. Heavy metals in soil and vegetables irrigated with Ex – tin mining ponds water in Barkin – Ladi Local Government Area Plateau State, Nigeria. Agric Food Sci Res 2019;6:211-20.
- Liatu TY, Auta IK, Tanko K, Gajere EN, Magu J. Study on heavy metals concentration in irrigated soil samples of some selected locations along river Kaduna, Nigeria. J Bio Sci 2017;3:79-90.
- Hong HA, Law PL, Onni SS. Environmental burden of heavy metals contamination levels in soil from sewage irrigated area of Geriyo catchment, Nigeria. Civil Envi Res 2014;6:118-24.
- Eze OC, Tukura BW, Atolaiye BO, Opaluwa OD. Assessment of some physicochemical parameters of soil and heavy metals in vegetables cultivated on irrigated sites along the bank of Mpape river in FCT, Abuja, Nigeria. J Envi Sci Toxicol Food Tech 2018;12:28-38.
- Abubakar AJ, Yusuf S, Shehu K. Heavy metals pollution on surface water sources in Kaduna Metropolis, Nigeria. Sci Wld J 2015;10:1-5.
- Ahoule DG, Lalanne F, Maiga AH. Arsenic in African Waters: A review. Water Air Soil Poll 2015;226:302.
- Lapshak LJ, Lepzem NG, Mankilik MM, Dafil RP. Heavy metal contamination in selected Cruciferous vegetables grown in Jos, Nigeria. Intl J Curr Res Chem Pharm Sci 2018;5(4):26-34.
- Ogunkunle ATJ, Bello OS, Ojofeitim OS. Determination of heavy metals contamination of street-vended fruits and vegetables in Lagos State, Nigeria. Intl Food Res J 2014;21(6):2115-20.
- Akan JC, Kolo BG, Yikala BS, Ogugbuaj VO. Determination of some heavy metals in vegetable samples from Biu Local Government area, Borno State, North Eastern Nigeria. Intl J Envi Moni Anal 2013;1(2):40-6.
- Akan JC, Abdulrahman FI, Dimari GA, Ogugbuaja VO. Physicochemical determination of pollutants in wastewater and vegetable samples along the Jakara wastewater channelin Kano metropolis, Kano State, Nigeria. Euro J Sci Res 2008;6(1):122-33.
- Iwuanyanwu KP, Chioma CN. Evaluation of heavy metals content and human risk assessment via consumption of vegetables from selected markets in bayelsa State, Nigeria. Biochem Anal Biochem 2017;6:332-8.
- Kudirat LM, Funmilayo DV. Heavy metal levels in vegetables from selected markets in lagos, Nigeria. Afri J Food Sci Technol 2011;2(10):18-21.
- Ayer RS, Westcot DW. Water quality for agriculture. FAO irrigation and drainage paper 29 Rev. 1; FAO: Rome, Italy. 1985.
- Ministry of the environment Finland. Threshold and guideline values for harmful substances insoil. In Government Decree on the Assessment of soil Contamination and remediation Needs (214/2007, March 1, 2007); Ministry of the Environment Finland: Helsinki, Finland, 2007.