International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
June 2020, Vol. 5, No. 7, pp. 196-203.
Effect of ‘Mg’ doping concentration on ZnO thin films by Successive Ionic Layer Adsorption and Reaction (SILAR) Method
K. Radhi Devi¹, G. Selvan², M. Karunakaran³*, K. Kasirajan³, S. Maheswari⁴
¹Department of Physics, Sethupathy Govt. Arts College, Ramanathapuram - 623 502, India.
²Department of Physics, Thanthai Hans Roever College, Perambalur - 621 220, India.
³Department of Physics, Alagappa Government Arts College, Karaikudi – 630 003, India.
⁴Department of Physics, Caussanel College of Arts and Science, Muthupettai – 623 523, India.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mg doped zinc oxide (ZnO) thin films have been successfully coated onto glass substrates at various Mg doping level such as 0, 5, 10, and 15% (w/w) by Low cost Successive Ionic Layer Adsorption and Reaction (SILAR) coating technique. The film thickness was estimated using weight gain method and it revealed that the film thickness increased with Mg doping concentration values. The prepared film structural, morphological, optical and electrical properties were studied using X-ray diffraction (XRD), scanning electron microscope (SEM) and UV-Vis-NIR spectrophotometer respectively. The structure of the films were found to be hexagonal structure with polycrystalline in nature with preferential orientation along (002) plane. X-ray line profile analysis was used to evaluate the micro structural parameters such as crystallite size, micro strain, dislocation density and stacking fault probability. The crystallite size values are decreased with increase of Mg doping concentration values and maximum value of crystallite size was estimated at 47 nm at doping concentration of 0%. Morphological results showed that the concentration of the Mg has a marked effect on morphology of the ZnO thin films. The optical studies revealed that the band gap can be tailored between 3.93 eV to 3.955 eV by altering doping concentration. EDX studies showed that the presence of Zinc, oxygen and magnesium content.
Keywords: Zinc oxide; Thin films; Structural studies; Morphological studies; Optical properties.
- Krunks M, Enn M. Zinc oxide thin films by the spray pyrolysis method. Thin Solid Films 1995;270(1-2):33-6.
- Lee C, Koengsu L, Jinsoo S. Highly textured ZnO thin films doped with indium prepared by the pyrosol method. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 1996;43(1):37-45.
- Lucio-Lopez MA, Luna-Arias A, Maldonado M, de la L, Olvera, Acosta DR. Preparation of conducting and transparent indium-doped ZnO thin films by chemical spray. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 2006;90(6):733-41.
- Major S, Satyendra K, Bhatnagar M, Chopra KL. Effect of hydrogen plasma treatment on transparent conducting oxides. Applied Physics Letters 1986;49(7):394-6.
- Ohtomo YA, Kawasaki M, Koinuma H KTZ, Tang ZK, Yu P, Wong GKL. Growth of ZnO thin film by laser MBE: lasing of exciton at room temperature. Physica Status Solidi (B) 1997;202(2):669-72.
- Devi, Radhi K, Selvan G, Karunakaran M, Kasirajan K, Mohd Shkir, AlFaify A. A SILAR fabrication of nanostructured ZnO thin films and their characterizations for gas sensing applications: An effect of Ag concentration. Superlattices and Microstructures 2020;(2020):106547.
- Chopra KL, Major S, Pandya DK. Transparent conductors - a status review. Thin Solid Films 1983;102(1):1-46.
- Pati S, Banerji P, Majumder SB. Properties of indium doped nanocrystalline ZnO thin films and their enhanced gas sensing performance. RSC Advances 2015;5(75):61230-8.
- Ma QB, Zhi-Zhen Y, Hai-Ping H, Shao-Hua H, Jing-Rui W, Li-Ping Z, Yin-Zhu Z, Bing-Hui Z. Structural, electrical, and optical properties of transparent conductive ZnO: Ga films prepared by DC reactive magnetron sputtering. Journal of Crystal Growth 2007;304 (1):64-8.
- Ramakrishna Reddy KT, Reddy TBS, Ian F, Miles RW. Highly oriented and conducting ZnO: Ga layers grown by chemical spray pyrolysis. Surface and Coatings Technology 2002;151:110-113.
- Kaul AR, Yu Gorbenko O, Botev AN, Burova LI. MOCVD of pure and Ga-doped epitaxial ZnO. Superlattices and Microstructures 2005;38(4-6):272-82.
- Snure M, Ashutosh T. Structural, electrical, and optical characterizations of epitaxial Zn 1− x Ga x O films grown on sapphire (0001) substrate. Journal of Applied Physics 2007;101(12):124912.
- Wang Z, Xue-feng Q, Jie Y, Zi-kang Z. Large-scale fabrication of tower-like, flower-like, and tube-like ZnO arrays by a simple chemical solution route. Langmuir. 2004;20(8):3441-8.
- Fathollahi V, Mohammadpour Amini M. Sol–gel preparation of highly oriented gallium-doped zinc oxide thin films. Materials Letters 2001;50(4):235-9.
- Iwata K, Sakemi T, Yamada A, Fons P, Awai K, Yamamoto T, Matsubara M, Tampo H, Niki S. Growth and electrical properties of ZnO thin films deposited by novel ion plating method. Thin Solid Films 2003;445(2):274-7.
- Karunakaran M, Rubanancy K, Rajini M, Kavitha G, Chandramohan R. Influence of Dipping Cycle on Physical Properties of Nanocrystalline CdO Thin Films Prepared by SILAR Method. Int J Chem Tech Res 2016;2(01):84-9.
- Chandrasekar, Bruno L, Chandramohan R, Vijayalakshmi R, Chandrasekaran S. Preparation and characterization of Mn-doped ZnS nanoparticles. International Nano Letters 2015;5(2):71-5.
- Chandrasekar, Bruno L, Chandramohan R, Vijayalakshmi R. Effect of Mn doping on micro-structural and optical properties of cadmium sulfide nanoparticles. Journal of Nanoengineering and Nanomanufacturing 2013;3(3):253-7.
- Vijayan TA, Chandramohan R, Valanarasu S, Thirumalai J, Subramanian SP. Comparative investigation on nanocrystal structure, optical, and electrical properties of ZnO and Sr-doped ZnO thin films using chemical bath deposition method. Journal of Materials Science 2008;43(6):1776-82.
- Cullity BD. Elements of X-ray Diffraction. Addison-Wesley Publishing, 1956.
- Valanarasu S, Dhanasekaran V, Karunakaran M, Chandramohan R, Mahalingam T. Role of solution pH on the microstructural properties of spin coated cobalt oxide thin films. J Nanosci Nanotechnol 2013;13:1-6.
- Dhanasekaran V, Mahalingam T. Surface modifications and optical variations of (− 1 1 1) lattice oriented CuO nanofilms for solar energy applications. Materials Research Bulletin 2013;48(9):3585-93.
- Annalakshmi V, Kasirajan K, Maheswari S, Karunakaran M, Subbu C. International Journal for Science and Advanced Research in Technology 2018;4(1):382-6.
- Prabhu YT, Venkateswara Rao K, Sesha Sai Kumar V, Siva Kumari B. X-ray analysis of Fe doped ZnO nanoparticles by Williamson-Hall and size-strain plot. International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology 2013;2(4):268-74.
- Inbaraj P, Fermi H, Joseph Prince J. Optical and structural properties of Mg doped ZnO thin films by chemical bath deposition method. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics 2018;29(2):935-43.
- Alsaad Ahmad M, Ahmad A. Ahmad, Qais M. Al-Bataineh, Areen A. Bani-Salameh, Hadeel S. Abdullah, Issam A. Qattan, Zaid M. Albataineh, Ahmad D. Telfah. Optical, Structural, and Crystal Defects Characterizations of Dip Synthesized (Fe-Ni) Co-Doped ZnO Thin Films. Materials 2020;13(7):1737.
- El Hallani G, Nasih S, Fazouan N, Liba A, Khuili M, Sajieddine M, Mabrouki M, Laanab L, Atmani EH. Comparative study for highly Al and Mg doped ZnO thin films elaborated by sol gel method for photovoltaic application. Journal of Applied Physics 2017;121(13):135103.
- Wang Z, Ziwei T, Dongmei H, Fubo G. Highly sensitive and selective ethanol sensor fabricated with In-doped 3DOM ZnO. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. 2016;8(8):5466-74.
- Znaidi L, Tahar T, Dominique V, Nacer S, Sana BY, Ovidiu B, Alexis F, Azzedine B. AZO thin films by sol-gel process for integrated optics. Coatings 2013;3(3):126-39.