International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
June 2020, Vol. 5, No. 6, pp. 168-171.
Lead Concentration in Citrus Varieties and Soil from Orchards in Benue State, Nigeria
Shaapera Ugbidye*, Ishaq Shaibu Eneji, Raymond Wuana, Rufus Sha’ Ato
Department of Chemistry, Federal University of Agriculture, P.M.B.2373, Makurdi, Benue State, Nigeria.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
The concentration of lead in three citrus varieties and soil from orchards in Benue State was analyzed using atomic absorption spectrophotometer (AAS). The result of the analysis revealed the concentrations of lead in Washington (21353 µg/kg), Ibadan Sweet (65437 µg/kg), Valencia (62740 µg/kg) and the concentration of lead in soil (708600 µg/kg) respectively. The levels of Pb reported in the three citrus varieties are above the WHO/FAO permissible limits in citrus fruits (100 µg/kg) in all the samples analyzed. The values of Pb detected in the soils analyzed are below the WHO/FAO (90000 µg/kg) limits of Pb in agricultural soils.
Keywords: Soil; Lead; Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer; Ibadan Sweet; Valencia.
- Otitoju O, Akpanabiatu MI, Otitoju GTO, Ndem JI, Uwah AF, Akpanyung EO, Ekanem JT. Heavy metal contamination of green leafy vegetabble gardens in Itam road construction site in Uyo, Nigeria. Res J Environ Earth Sci 2012;4:371-75.
- Aderinola OJ, Clarke EO, Olarinmoye OM, Kusemiju V, Anatekhai MA. Heavy metals in surface water, sediments, fish and perwinkles of Lagos, Lagoon. American-Eurasian. J Agric Environ Sci 2009;5:609-17.
- Omoyajowo KO, Njoku KL, Babalola OO, Adenekan OA. Nutritional composition and heavy metal content of selected fruits in Nigeria. J Agric Environ Int Dev 2017;111:123-39.
- Mausi G, Simiyu G, Lutta SAssessment of Selected Heavy Metal Concentrations in Selected Fresh Fruits in Eldoret Town, Kenya. J Environ Earth Sci 2014;4:1-8.
- Rotimi OT, Ogunyebi AL, Fingesi TS. Evaluation of Heavy Metals Level and Proximate Analysis of Common Fruits from Selected Markets in Lagos, Nigeria. J Appl Sci Environ Manage 2018;22:791-95.
- Khairiah J, Zalifah MK, Yin YH, Aminah A. The uptake of heavy metals by fruit type vegetables grown in selected agricultural areas. Pak J Bio Sci 2004;7(8):1438-42.
- Udo NS, Okon OG. Heavy Metal Concentrations of Citrus Species (Citrus reticulata and Citrus sinensis) Cultivated on Road Sides in Uyo Metropolis in Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. Int J Eco Sci Environ Eng 2017; 4: 86-92.
- Ubom RM, Ogbemudia FO, Benson KO. Soil-Vegetation Relationship in Fresh Water Swamp Forest. Sci J Bio Sci 2012; 1:13-16.
- Suthida A, Sirikhwan T. Effects of types and amount of stabilizers on physical and sensory characteristics of cloudy ready-to-drink mulberry fruit juice. Food Sci Nut 2015;3(3):213-20.
- Kalagbor I, Diri E. Evaluation of heavy metals in orange, pineapple, avocado pear, and pawpaw from a farm in Kaani, Bori, River State Nigeria. Int Res J Pub Environ Health 2014;4:87-94.
- AOAC oﬃcial methods of analysis.15th eds. Association of Oﬃcial Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Virginia, 1990; pp. 84-85.
- Blancher RW, Rehim G, Caldwell ACSulphur in plant materials by digestion with nitric and perchloric acids. Soil Sci Soc Am Proc 1965;29:71-2.
- Ande S, Famuyiwa A, Iorungwa MS. A preliminary assessment of heavy metals in top soils around Wurukum Abbatoir, Makurdi, Benue State, Nigeria. Int J Sci Res 2015;6:144-7.
- Pam AA, Sha’Ato R, Offem JO. Evaluation of heavy metals in soils around auto-mechanics workshop clusters in Gboko and Makurdi, Central Nigeria. J Environ Chem Ecotoxicol 2013;5:298-306.
- Ediene VF, Umoetok SBA. Concentration of heavy metals in soils at the municipal dumpsite in calabar metropolis. Asian J Environ Ecol 2017;3:1-11.
- Joseph DO, Egila JN, Salami SJ. Determination of the contamination levels of cadmium, lead, arsenic and mercury in the vegetables from old mining site of Jos plateau, Nigeria. Int J Interdipl Res and Inn 2016;4:40-4.