International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
June 2020, Vol. 5, No. 6, pp. 149-156.
Effect of Methanolic Extract of Chromolaena odorata Leaves on Lipid Profile, Hmgco-A Reductase Enzyme Activity and haematological Activity of P407 induced Hyperlipidemic Albino Rats
A. Mukhtar¹*, I. Bawa¹, G. O. Ogo²
¹Department of Biochemistry Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi Benue State, Makurdi, Nigeria.
²Department of Biochemistry Benue State University Makurdi, Makurdi, Nigeria.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The research was aimed at determining the effect of Chromolaena odorata on lipid profile, HMGCO-A reductase enzyme activity and Haematogical indices of P407 induced hyperlipidemic albino rats. The Lipid profile, HMGCO-A enzymes activity and Haematological indices of rat blood were measured. It was observed that after induction with poloxamer 407, there was an increase in the lipid profile activity from 133.30±33 to 154.23±4.55, 104.10±1.23 to 120.23±3.45. An induction with poloxamer 407 led to an increase in the HMG COA enzyme activity from 1.33±0.4 to 3.41±0.50 also there was an increase in the WBC count from 12.46±0.23 to 18.17±1.23 while there was a reduction in PCR count from 23.42±0.45 to 15.2±0.01. The values were statistically significant different down the groups. The findings of the present study demonstrated that poloxamer407 induced hyperlipidemia is associated with a change in Lipid profile, HMG-COA reductase enzyme activity and Haematological parameters which were ameliorated by treatment with C. odorata. The effect observed could be as a result of interactions between supplements biological active constituents and endogenous antioxidant system in the experimental animal model.
Keywords:Chromolaena odorata; Poloxamer 407; Methanolic extract; Hyperlidemia; HMGCO-A reductase; Haematological parameters.
- Ojieh AE, Adegor EC, Ewhre OL. Preliminary Phytochemical Screening, Analgesic and Anti-inflammatory Properties of Celosia isertii. European Journal of Medicinal 2013;3(7):309-20.
- Wang GP, Deng Z. D. Ni J, Qu ZL. Oxidized low density lipoprotein and very low density lipoprotein enhance expression of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 in rabbit peritoneal exudate macrophages. Atherosclerosis 1997;133(1):31-6.
- Schaefer TS, Sanders LK, Nathans D. Cooperative transcriptional activity of Jun and Stat3 beta, a short form of State. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 1995;92(20):9097-101.
- Krieger M. The “best” of cholesterols, the “worst” of cholesterols: a tale of two receptors. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 1998;95(8):4077-80.
- Reinhardt D. Health Watch: The atlas of heart disease and stroke. UN Chronicle online 2005.
- Martinez-Flores HE, Chang YK, Martinez-Bustos F, Sgarbieri V. Effect of high fiber products on blood lipids and lipoproteins in hamsters. Nutritional Resources 2004;24 (3):85-93.
- Li RW, Douglas TD, Maiyoh GK, Adeli K, Theriault AG. Green tea leaf extract improves lipid and glucose homeostasis in a fructose-fed insulin-resistant hamster model. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 2006;104(1-2):24-31.
- Ji W, Gong BQ. Hypolipidemic effects and mechanisms of Panaxnotoginseng on lipid profile in hyperlipidemic rats. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 2007;113(2):318-24.
- Hakimoglu F, Kizil G, Kizil ZM, Isi I. The effect of ethanol extract of Hypericumlysimachioideson lipid profile in hypercholesterolemic rabbits and it’s in vitro antioxidant activity. Atheroscler 2007;192(12):113-22.
- Salahdeen H, Yemitan O. Neuropharmacological Effects of aqueous leaf Extract of BryophyllumPinnatum in mice. African Journal of Biomedical Research 2006;9(9):101-7.
- Khattab FK. Histological and ultrastructural studies on the testis of rat after treatment with aluminum chloride Aust. Journal of Basic Applied Sciences 2006;1(1):63-72.
- Agarwal P, Agarwal PK, Nair S, Sopory SK, Reddy MK. Stress-inducible DREB2A transcription factor from Pennisetum glaucum is a phosphoprotein and its phosphorylation negatively regulates its DNA-binding activity. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 2007;277(2):189-98.
- Hostettmann K, Olivier P, Jean-luc W.The potential of higher plants as source of new drugs. CHIMIA International Journal for Chemistry 1998;52(1-2):10-7
- Okoro IS, Tor-Anyiin TA. Evaluation of cytotoxicity and phytochemical screening of Pycnanthusangolensis (Welw.)Warb dichloromethane and ethyl acetate stem bark extracts against HeLa cells. International Journal of Cancer Resources 2017;13(10):71-5.
- Onyeama HP, Ebong PE, Eteng ME, Igile GO et al. Evaluation of the effects of Calliandraportoricensis extracts on oxidative stress enzymes in Wistar rats challenged with venom of Echisocellatus. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Sciences 2012;2(2):199-202.
- Schmolka IR. In: Tarch, PJ (Ed). Polymers for controlled drug delivery.CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1991 pp. 189-215.
- Tiez NW. Clinical guide to laboratory tests 2nd Edn., W.B. Saunders company, Philadelphia, USA, 1990, pp: 554.
- Assman G, Jabs HU, Kohnert U, Nolte U, Schriewer H. LDL cholesterol determination in blood serum following precipitation of LDL with polyvinyl sulphate. Journal of Analytical Chimica Acta 1984;140(15):77-83.
- Burstein M, Scholnick HR, Morfin R. Rapid method for the isolation of lipoproteins from serum by precipitation with polyanions. Scandinavian Journal of Clinical and Laboratory Investigation 1980;40:583-95
- Farzadfar S, Zarinkamar F, Mehmanesh H, Hojati M. Magnesium and manganese interactively modulate parthenolide accumulation and the antioxidant defense system in the leaves of Tanacetumparthenium. Journal of Plant Physiology 2016;21(20):10-20.
- Friedwald WT, Levy WT, Fredickson DS. Estimation of the concentration of low density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma without use of preparativeultra centrifuge. Clinical Chemistry 1972;18 (12):499-502.
- Omonije OO, Saidu AN, Muhammad HL. Anti-diabetic activities of Chromolaenaodorata methanol root extract and its attenuation effect on diabetic induced hepatorenal impairments in rats. Clinical Phytoscience 2009;5 (1):23.
- Liu JC, Sempos R, Donahue J, Dorn J, Grundy SM. Joint Distribution of non-HDL and LDL Cholesterol and Coronary Heart Disease Risk Prediction among Individuals with and without Diabetes‖. Diabetes Care 2005;28(8):1916-21.
- Lawal B, Shittu OK, Inje OF, Berinyuy EF, Muhammed H. Potential antioxidants and Hepatoprotectives from African natural products: a review. Clinical Phytoscience 2017;2 (23):1-66.
- Katzung BG. Basic and Clinical Pharmacology, 9th edition (Lange Basic Science), McGraw-Hill Medical: New York; 2004.
- Salvetti G, Ghiadoni L. Thiazide diuretics in the treatment of hypertension: an update. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 2006;17(4):25-9.
- Ginter E, Simko V.Statins: the drugs for the 21st century?, Bratisl. Lek. Listy 2014;110(13):664-8.
- Aldler I, Stephens J,Manley E,Bilous R, Cull A, Holman R. Development and progression of nephropathy in type 2 diabetes: the United Kingdom prospective Diabetes study (UKPDS 64). Kidney International 2003;63(20):225-32.
- Al-Shohaib A. Simvastatin-induced rhabdomyolysis in a patient with chronic renal failure. American Journal Nephrology 2007;20:212-3.
- Johnston TP. Poloxamer 407 increases soluble adhesion molecules, ICAM-1, VCAM-1, and E-selectin, in C57BL/6 mice. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology 2009;61(23):1681-8.
- Yakubu, MT, Afoloayan, AJ. Effects of aqueous extracts of Bulbinenatalensis Baker stem on Hematological and serum lipid profile of male wistar rats. Indian Journal of Expository Biology 2009;47(12):283-8.
- Okoroiwu HU, Okafor, IM. Demographic characteristics of blood and blood components transfusion recipients and pattern of blood utilization in a tertiary health institution in southern Nigeria. BMC Hematology 2018;18(1):16.
- Lee, KW, Kim, YJ, Lee HJ, Lee, CY.Cocoa has phenolic phytochemicals and higher antioxidant capacity than tears and red wine. Journal of Agriculture Food and Chemistry 2003;51(4):7292-5.