March 2020, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 72-77.
Amalgamation of Phoenix dactylifera L Seed Powder in Food Products
J. Jayabarath*, J. Suriya, R. Sathurya, R. U. Ragesh
Department of Food Technology, Dhanalakshmi Srinivasan Institute of Research and Technology, Siruvachur, Perambalur - 621113. India.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
The healing effect on liver diseases, gastrointestinal disorder, diabetes, can be easily cured by the dates seed that belongs to “Ajwa”, which is commonly considered as a waste product in the dates. Phoenix dactylifera (dates) is commonly belongs to the order of arecales and the family of arecaceae is commonly cultivated in the tropical and sub-tropical areas. The incorporation of Ajwa dates seed powder into the wheat flour and the cookies were prepared from the eight formulations. For the comfort of drying the seeds the tray dryer is used, due to the presence of 40% moisture content in seeds. So it is mechanically dried to 11-12% (at 66°C for 3 hr), other than this fat (unsalted butter), sugar, vanilla extract, sodium bicarbonate was mixed. This material is generally blended into the dough. For several analyses such as moisture content, ash content, microbial content, carbohydrates and etc., the sample has taken in 5 different concentrations such as 100%, 80%, 60%, 40%, 20%, and other ingredients were added according to it. In this type of biscuits contain high nutritional values because the seed has high nutrient content such as vitamin, fibre, protein and etc. Commercially this type of biscuits reduces the risk of cancer due to high antioxidant contents.
Keywords: Phoenix dactylifera L; Composite flour; Cookies; Amalgamation; Antioxidant.
- Mhlonga PK. Adverse effects of shift work at a biscuit manufacturer. Thesis: Masters in Technology, Environmental Health, Durban University of Technology, 2017.
- Bojana FOS. Mariji BS. Enrichment of ginger nut biscuits with wholegrain buckwheat and rye flour. The European Journal of Plant Science and Biotechnology 2012;6:S57-62.
- Nanditha BR, Jena BS, Prabhasankar P. Influences of natural antioxidants and their carry through properly in biscuit processing. Journal Of The Science of Food and Agriculture 2009;89:288-98.
- Mishra N, Chaqndra R. Development of functional biscuit from soy flour and rice bran. Journal of Agricultural and Food Science 2012;2(1):14-20.
- Oluwamukomi MO, Oluwalana IB, Akinbowale OF. Physicochemical and sensory properties of wheat cassava composite biscuit enriched with soy flour. African Journal of Food Science 2011;5(2):50-6.
- Yadav RB, Chaudhary D, Yadav BS. Extraction, characterization and utilization of rice bran protein concentrate for biscuit making. British Food Journal 2011;113:1173-82.
- Ester G, Franico JM, Dolores Del Castillo M. Use of coffee silverkin and stevia to improve the formulation of biscuit. Polish Journal of Food and Nutrition Science 2014;64(4):243-51.
- Akpapunam MA, Da Akpapunam MA, Darbe JW, Rbe JW. Chemical composition and functional properties of blend of maize Barbara groundnuts flour for cookies production. Plant Food for Human Nutrition 1994;46(2):147-55.
- Xu F, Oruna MJ, Elmora J. The use of asparaginase to reduce acrylamide levels in cooked foods. Food Chemistry 2016;210:163-71.
- Singh G, Sehgal S, Kawatra A. Mineral profile, antinutrients and in vitro digestibility of biscuit preparation from blanched and malted pearl millet flour. Nutrition and Food Science 2006;36:231-39.
- Banureka VD, Mahendran T. Formulation of wheat-soybean biscuit and their quality characteristics. Tropical Agricultural Research and Extension 2009;12:62-6.
- AOAC Official method of analysis. 15th Ed., Association of analytical chemistry. Washington, D.C. 1990.
- Mridula D. Physic chemical and sensory characteristics of ß-carotene rich defatted soy fortified biscuit. African Journal of Food Science 2011;5(5):305-12.
- Nagi HPS, Kaur J, Dar BN, Sharma S. Effect of storage period and packaging on the shelf life of cereal bran incorporated cookies. American Journal of Food Technology 2012;7(5):301-10.
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology