November 2020, Vol. 5, No. 11, pp. 274-277.
Kinetics of oxidation of vanilin by 1-chlorobenzimidazole in acid medium
Department of Chemistry, Arasu Engineering College, Kumbakonam, Tamilnadu, India - 612 501.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
The kinetics of oxidation of vanillin by 1-Chlorobenzimidazole (CBI) had been studied in aqueous acetic acid medium. The reaction was followed potentiometrically at regular time intervals. The order of the reaction with respect to [CBI] and [H+] are unity and the order in substrate was found to be zero. The rate of oxidation increases with decrease in dielectric constant of solvent medium indicating ion-dipole interaction. The rate of the reaction is not influenced by the addition of electrolyte like sodium perchlorate. Polymerization was not observed with acrylonitrile. The reactions were studied at different temperatures and the thermodynamic parameters have been calculated. Product analysis showed the formation of vanillic acid which was confirmed by physical constants and spectral analysis. CBIH+ has been postulated as the reactive oxidizing species.
Keywords: Kinetics; 1-Chlorobenzimidazole; Deamination; Decarboxylation; Vanilin.
- Guseinova EA, Adzhamov KYu, Mursalova LA and Safarova SR. Formation Kinetics of Hydrocarbon compounds in the Vacuum gas oil Oxycracking process. Reaction Kinetics, Mechanisms and Catalysis. 2020;131:57-74.
- Guizhi S, Jinsong G. Theoretical study on the reaction between silacyclopropenylidene and three-membered heterocyclic compounds (azirane and oxirane): An alternative approach to the formation of heterocyclic silylene. Progress in Reaction Kinetics and Mechanism 2020;45:1-10. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1468678320902059
- Anil Kumar J, Sondu S. Kinetics and mechanism of oxidation of chalcones by trichloroisocyanuric acid [TCICA] in HOAc-HClO₄ medium. Indian J Chem 2007;46A:1792-95.
- Mohamed Farook NA. Kinetics of Oxidation of 4-Oxoacids by N-Chlorosaccharin in Aqueous Acetic Acid Medium. J Sol Chem 2007;36:345-56.
- Jagdish Bharad, Balaji Madje, Fulchand Chavan, Mazahar Farooqui, Millind Ubale.: Kinetics study of phosphotungstic acid catalyzed oxidation of cyclic alcohols by N - bromophthalimides. Bull Catl Soc India 2008;7:168-76.
- Kabilan S, Kirubashankar P, Krishnasamy K. Kinetic study on electron induced transfer reaction in Pentaamine Cobalt (III)complexes of A-Hydroxy acids by Quinolinium in chromate in Micellar medium. Oxidn Commun 2006;29:335-42.
- Priya V, Balasubramaniyan M, Mathiyalagan N. Kinetic study on the reaction of N-Chlorosuccinimide with Benzylphenyl ethers in aqueous acetic medium. J Chem Pharm Res 2011; 3(1):522-8.
- Ramkumar B. Kinetics and mechanism of oxidation of aromatic aldehydes by 1-chlorobenzimidazole in aqueous acetic acid medium. Afinidad 2003;60:257-61.
- Rukmangathan M, Santhoshkumar V, Ramkumar B. Kinetics of Oxidation of Furfural by 1 - chloro benzimidazole in aqueous acetic acid medium. Acta Ciencia Indica 2011;XXXVII C(1):1-3.
- Rukmangathan M, Santhoshkumar V, Ramkumar B. Kinetics of Oxidation of Cyclanols by 1-chlorobenzimidazole in aqueous acetic acid medium. J Chem Pharm Res 2012;4(3):1740-4.
- Rukmangathan M, Santhoshkumar V, Ramkumar B. Reactivity of Benzyl alcohol and substituted Benzyl alcohols with 1-Chlorobenzimidazole in acid medium – A Kinetic and Mechanistic approach. IRA International Journal of Applied Sciences 2016;3:493-506. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.21013/jas.v3.n3.p20
- Rukmangathan M, Santhoshkumar V, Ramkumar B. Kinetics and mechanism of oxidation of aliphatic primary alcohols with 1-chlorobenzimidazole in aqueous acetic acid medium. Z Phys Chem 2015;230(8). DOI: 10.1515/zpch-2015-0680.
- Ramakrishnan K, Ramkumar B. Oxidative Cleavage of Glycine with N-Chlorobenzimidazol in aqueous acetic acid medium. IOSR-Journal of Applied Chemistry 2018;11(4):20-3.
- Rukmangathan M, Santhoshkumar V, Ramkumar B. Oxidimetric determination of some common reductants with 1-chlorobenzimidazole in aqueous acetic acid medium. J Indian Chem Soc 2010;87:1011-2.
- Parasuram Mishra. Kinetics and Mechanisms of Oxidation of 4-hydroxy -3-methoxy benzaldehyde (Vanillin) by Bi (V) in Aqueous Alkaline medium. Int J Pharm Tech Res 2009;1(4):1234-40.
- Chandrashekhar K, Pandurang P, Sharanappa, N. The Kinetics and Mechanism of Oxidation of Vanillin by Diperiodatonickelate(IV) in Aqueous Alkaline Medium. Turk J Chem 2002;26:229-36.
- Ramkumar B. Preparation and characterization of 1-Halobenzimidazoles. Asian J Chem 2001;13:777-9.
- Vogel AI. Quantitative Organic Analysis, London, Langmann Green, 1958: 708.
- Feigl F, Spot Tests, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1954:20.
- Amis ES. Solvent effects on reaction rates and mechanisms. Academic Press New York. 1967;42.
- Alhaji NMI, Uduman Mohideen AM, Sofia Lawrence Mary S. Mechanism of oxidation of (p-Substituted Phenylthio) Acetics acids with N-Chlorosaccharin. E J Chem 2011;8(1):159-66.
- Mohamed Farook NA. Kinetics and mechanism of oxidation of 4-oxyacids N-bromo succinimide in aqueous acetic acid medium. J Iranian Chem Soc 2006;3(4): 378-86.
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology