International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
June 2019, Vol. 4, No. 6, pp 161-167.
Radiant Exposure Fractal Dimension for Characterizing Shajara Reservoirs of the Permo-Carboniferous Shajara Formation
Khalid Elyas Mohamed Elameen Alkhidir
Department of Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering, College of Engineering, King Saud University, Saudi Arabia.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
The quality and assessment of a reservoir can be documented in details by the application of radiant exposure. This research aims to calculate fractal dimension from the relationship among radiant exposure, maximum Radiant exposure and wetting phase saturation and to approve it by the fractal dimension derived from the relationship among capillary pressure and wetting phase saturation. Two equations for calculating the fractal dimensions have been employed. The first one describes the functional relationship between wetting phase saturation, Radiant exposure, maximum Radiant exposure and fractal dimension. The second equation implies to the wetting phase saturation as a function of capillary pressure and the fractal dimension. Two procedures for obtaining the fractal dimension have been utilized. The first procedure was done by plotting the logarithm of the ratio between Radiant exposure and maximum Radiant exposure versus logarithm wetting phase saturation. The slope of the first procedure = 3- Df (fractal dimension). The second procedure for obtaining the fractal dimension was determined by plotting the logarithm of capillary pressure versus the logarithm of wetting phase saturation. The slope of the second procedure = Df -3. On the basis of the obtained results of the fabricated stratigraphic column and the attained values of the fractal dimension, the sandstones of the Shajara reservoirs of the Shajara Formation were divided here into three units.
Keywords: Shajara Reservoirs; Shajara Formation; Radiant exposure fractal dimension; Capillary pressure fractal dimension.
- Frenkel J. On the theory of seismic and seismoelectric phenomena in a moist soil. Journal of Physics 1944;3(4):230-41.
- Li K, Williams W. Determination of capillary pressure function from resistivity data. Transport in Porous Media 2007;67(1):1-15.
- Revil A. Jardani A. Seismoelectric response of heavy oil reservoirs: theory and numerical modelling. Geophysical Journal International 2010; 180(2):781-97.
- Dukhin A, Goetz P, Thommes M. Seismoelectric effect: a non-isochoric streaming current.1 Experiment. Journal of Colloid Interface Science 2010;345(2): 547-53.
- Guan W, Hu H, Wang Z. Permeability inversion from low-frequency seismoelectric logs in fluid- saturated porous formations. Geophysical Prospecting 2012;61(1):120-33.
- Hu H, Guan W, Zhao W. Theoretical studies of permeability inversion from seismoelectric logs. Geophysical Research Abstracts 2012;14.
- Borde C., S´en´echal P, Barri`ere J. et al. Impact of water saturation on seismoelectric transfer functions: a laboratory study of co-seismic phenomenon. Geophysical Journal International 2015; 200(3):1317-1335.
- Jardani A, Revil A. Seismoelectric couplings in a poroelastic material containing two immiscible fluid phases. Geophysical Journal International 2015; 202(2):850-70.
- Holzhauer J, Brito D, Bordes C, Brun Y, Guatarbes B. Experimental quantification of the seismoelectric transfer function and its dependence on conductivity and saturation in loose sand. Geophysical Prospecting 2016;65:1097-120.
- Ping R, Wei J-X, Di B-R, Ding P-B, Liu Z-C. Experimental research on seismoelectric effects in sandstone. Applied Geophysics 2016;13:425-36.
- Djuraev U, Jufar SR, Vasant. P. Numerical Study of frequency-dependent seismo electric coupling in partially-saturated porous media. MATEC Web of Conferences 87, 02001 (2017).
- Alkhidir KEME. Pressure head fractal dimension for characterizing Shajara Reservoirs of the Shajara Formation of the Permo-Carboniferous Unayzah Group, Saudi Arabia. Archives of Petroleum and Environmental Biotechnology 2017; 2:1-7.
- Al-Khidir KE. On Similarity of Pressure Head and Bubble Pressure Fractal Dimensions for Characterizing Permo-Carboniferous Shajara Formation, Saudi Arabia. Journal of Industrial Pollution and Toxicity 2018;1(1):1-10.
- Alkhidir KEME. Geometric relaxation time of induced polarization fractal dimension for characterizing Shajara Reservoirs of the Shajara Formation of the Permo-Carboniferous Unayzah Group, Saudi Arabia. Scifed Journal of Petroleum 2018;2(1):1-6.
- Alkhidir KEME. Geometric relaxation time of induced polarization fractal dimension for characterizing Shajara Reservoirs of the Shajara formation of the Permo-Carboniferous Unayzah Group-Permo. International Journal of Petrochemistry and Research 2018;2(1):105-8.