International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
April 2019, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp 92-96.
Extraction and Characterization of Natural Cellulosic Fibers from ‘Apple of Sodom’ (Solanum linnaeanum) Plant Stems
Aklilu Azanaw, Adane Haile, G. Nalankilli*
Textile Chemistry Research and Innovation Centre, Ethiopian Institute of Fashion Technology, Bahir Dar University, Bahir Dar, Ethiopia.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
Natural lignocellulose fibers are being utilized in various areas such as apparel manufacturing, automotive building and packaging application to replace conventional manmade fiber due to their environmentally friendly nature and especial properties. The possibility of discovering natural lignocellulose fiber from non-conventional sources is being explored. Plant fiber is one of the lignocellulose fibers that are used in textile industry. However, availability of natural fiber is not enough for any textile application and competes with manmade fiber. In this research, an attempt has been made to extract fiber from the trunk of ‘Apple of Sodom’ plant by water retting method. The extracted fiber was examined for its diameter, fineness, tensile strength and elongation in the laboratory by using the ASTM method. The diameter of the fiber was found to be 14.32 microns with a fineness of 0.262Tex. The tensile strength and elongation of the fiber were found to be 20.3 g/Tex and 5.3 %. Moisture content and moisture regain of fibers were 8.09 and 8.8 % respectively. It is observed that the fibers had properties like those of most natural cellulosic fibers such as jute, sisal and suitability for textile applications as an alternative source.
Keywords: Natural fibre; Cellulose fibres; Apple of Sodom Plant; Water Retting Extraction.
- Balan V. Development ofpreparatory processes for making of banana fibre blended fabrics and their evaluation. Mumbai, Iindia: SNDT Women’s University; 2008.
- Samrat Mukhopadhyay RF, Yusu Arpac, Ulkusendurk. Banana Fibers – Variability and Fracture Behavior. Journal of Engineered Fibres and Fabrics 2008;3(2):39 45.
- Fortunati DP, Monti M, Santulli C, Maniruzzaman M, Kenny JM. Cellulose Nanocrystals Extracted From Okra Fibers In PVA Nano composites. Journal of Applied Polymer Science 2013;128(5):462-80.
- Saravanakumar SS, Nagarajan T, Sudhakar P, Baskaran R. Characterization of a novel natural cellulosic fiber from Prosopis juliflora bark. Carbohydrate Polymers 2013;92(5):1928-33.
- Mohanty AK, Drzal LT. Natural fibers, Biopolymers and Biocomposites: CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group; 2005.
- Maher RR, Wardman R.H. The Chemistry of Textile fibres. Chemistry, Rso (ed.). Cambridge, RSC Publishing; 2015.
- Mwaikamno LY. Tensile Properties of Alkalized Jute Fibers. Bioresources 2009;4(2):566-78.
- Thygesen LG, Hoffmeyer P. Visualisation of dislocations in Hempfibres: A comparison between scanning electron microscopy [SEM] and polarized light microscopy [PLM]. Industrial Crops and Products 2006;24(2):181-85.
- Mwasiagi JI, Yu CW. Phologolo T, Waithaka Kamalha AE, Ochola JR. Characterization of the Kenyan Hibiscus sabdariffa L. [Roselle] Bast Fibre. Fibres and Textiles in Eastern Europe 2014;105(3):31-4.
- Natarajan T, Kumaravel A, Palanivel R. Extraction and Characterisation of Natural cellulosic fibre from Passiflora Foetida stem. International Journal of Polymer Analysis and Charecterisation 2016;2(6):478-85.
- Balasundar P, Narayanasamy P, Sentha marai kannan P, Senthil S, Prithiviraj R, Ramkumar T. Extraction and Characterisation of new natural cellulosic Chloris Barbata fibre. Journal of Natural Fibres 2017;15(8):1-9
- Aklilu Azanaw, Adane Haile, Rotich K. Gideon, Nalankilli G. Characterization of new natural Cellulosic Fiber from Urera hypselodendron Plant for Technical Textile Application, International Journal of Modern Science and Technology 2017; 2(12):377-82.
- Baskaran PG, Kathiresan K, Sentha marai kannan P, Saravana kumar SS. Charecterisation of new natural fibre from the bark of Dichrostachys Cinera. Journal of Natural Fibres 2017;15(4):62-8.
- Guimaraes J, Da Silva C, Wypych F, Satyanarayana K. Characterization of banana, sugarcane bagasse and sponge gourd fibers of brazil. Industrial Crops and Products 2009;30(3):407-15.
- Bezazi A, Belaadi A, Bourchak M, Scarpa F, Boba K. Novel extraction techniques, chemical and mechanical characterisation of Agave americana L. Natural fibres. Composites, Part B: Engineering 2014;66(7):194-203.