International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
March 2019, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp 67-69.
Comparison between Automated and Manual methods of PT and APTT in Khartoum – Sudan
Mosaab Adam Jobair¹, Fatima Mahmoud Salih², Samar Aba-yazied Alhag³
¹Haj alsafi Teaching Hospitals, El Hikma Organization, Sudan.
²Bashaer Hospital, Al balsam Medical Centre, Sudan.
³Gharb Alneel College, Sudan.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The present study was designed to compare between prothrombin time (PT) and activated partial thromboplastin time (APTT) using the manual and automated methods of analysis. Determine PT, APTT using automated coagulometer (clot2; SEAC) and manually. Then results was collected, compared, and analyzed using the statistical program (SPSS). The mean of PT in automated method was 19.36±11.4 SD, in manual method the mean was 20.99±11.3 SD. The mean of APTT in automated method was 34.2±5.2 SD, in manual method the mean was 37.3±5.3 SD.The study concluded that there was a significant variation between manual and automated methods of PT and APTT.
Keywords: Manual method; Automated method; Coagulometer; Prothrombin time; Activated partial thromboplastin time.
- Bishop J. NixA. 1993.
- Hincheliff KW, Kaneps AJ, Geor RJ. Equine sports medicine and surgery. In: Basicand clinical science of the equine athlete. WB Saunders, Philadelphia, PA: 2004.
- Lazbik CG, Gray TL, Kociba G. Effect of storage condition on hemostatic parameters of canine plasma obtained for transfusion. American Journal of Veternary Research 2001;62:734-35.
- Furlanchello T, Caldin M, Stocco A. Stability of stored canine plasma for hemostasis testing. Veterinary Clinical Pathology 2006;35:204-7.
- Boon GD. An overview of hemostasis. Toxicology Pathology 1993;21:170-79.
- Clemetson KJ. Platelets and primary hemostasis. Thrombosis Research 2012; 129.3:220-24.
- Fritsma GA. Evaluation of Hemostasis Hematology: Clinical Principles and Applications. Ed. Bernadette Rodak.W.B.Saunders Company: Philadelphia, 2002:719-53.
- Scheckenbach K, Bier H, Hoffmann TK, Windfuhr JP, Bas M, Laws HJ, et al. Risk of hemorrhage after adenoidectomy and tonsillectomy. Value of the preoperative determination of partial thromboplastin time, prothrombin time and platelet count. Hno. 2008;56(3):312-20.
- Cunningham MT, Brandt JT, Laposata M, Olson JD. Laboratory diagnosis of dysfibrinogenemia. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. 2002;126(4):499-505.
- SallyAnne L, Ness Marjory B. Brooks. Clotting Times (aPTT and PT). Interpretation of Equine Laboratory Diagnostics 2017:9781118922798.