International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
February 2019, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp 54-60.
Design and Development of Appropriate Tyre Sandal Shoe: Case of Rural Peoples around Bahir Dar city
Leather Engineering Department, Ethiopian Institute of Textile and Fashion Technology (EiTEX), Bahir Dar University, Bahir Dar, Ethiopia.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The current study was conducted with the objective of designing and developing appropriate tyre sandal shoe for rural people around Bahir Dar city, Ethiopia. The study was carried out through questionnaire, interview and observational study. The researcher identified the existing situations and problem happened on tyre sandal users in the area. The current tyre sandal worn by rural people around Bahir Dar city not comfortable for their feet, due to rough surface and hardness of tyre straps and it caused a dry foot and foot crack related problem around their forepart and heel area of foot. More specifically, these tyre sandals are heavy in weight and the straps frequently tend to break at the connecting points, due to poor nail or tack attachment of tyre sole and tyre straps. Based on data analysis, the researcher designed and developed four appropriate shoe collections. Target group showed their willingness to use all shoe collection. The Author gave training on production of new shoe collection for tyre sandal producers in the area. Some of the target users who faced foot crack related problem used the new shoes and the author observed that the new shoes protected the target users feet from dirt and bacteria.
Keywords: Automotive tyre; Footwear; Tyre sandals; Cows hides; Shoe design; Shoe development.
- William AR. The complete Footwear dictionary. 2nd ed. Krieger Pub Co, FL 32950; USA: 2000.
- Harvey A. Footwear material and Process Technology. N.Z. Leather and Shoe Research association. New Zealand: 1992.
- Acevedo B, Fernández A, Barriocanal C. Identification of polymers in waste tyre reinforcing fibre by thermal analysis and pyrolysis. J Anal Appl Pyrol 2015;111: 224-32.
- ETRA. Introduction to Tyre Recycling. The Pioneers of Producer Responsibility. Tyre Recycling in Finland, Sweden And Norway. 2013.
- WBCSD. End-of-life tires: A framework for effective management systems.
- World Business Council for Sustainable Development. Geneva. 2010; http://www.wbcsd.org.
- Jefrey P, Edison M. Qualitative analysis of waste rubber-derived oil as an alternative diesel additive. International Conference on Chemical and Environmental Engineering. 2013. pp 1-5.
- Maorwe LK. From waste to product; recycling waste tyres to save the environment. UG Thesis, University of Nairobi. Kenya. 2009.
- Sharma H, Abebe T, Admassu M, Teshaye T, Aseffa T, Emana M. Municipal Solid Waste Management and community awareness and involvement in management practices: an overview and a case study from Gondar town of Ethiopia. International Journal of Environment and Waste Management 2011;7:294-304.
- Gundan F. Fastest Growing African Shoe-Brand 'SoleRebels' Launches Flagship Store in Silicon Valley. California; USA: 2014.
- NBC Bay Area. Eco-Friendly African Shoe Store Comes to San Jose. NBC Universal Media, LLC. 2014.
- CNN Money. Shoes with an ethical footprint. 2018.
- Britton B. Ethiopian shoe designer hopes for repeat success with coffee. 2017.
- Africa M.E. SoleRebels: An Ethiopian success story. 2016.
- Xan R. Solerebels, recycled tire sandals, Ethiopia. Available at 2010;http://www.guardian.co.uk/world /2010/irm/Solerebels.
- Derm Net NZ. Cracked Heel. 2013; Available at http//: www.dermnetnz. org/scaly/cracked-heels.html.
- Australian Capital Territory. Cracked Heels, Canberra. 2014.
- Heather H. Causes of Sudden Dry Feet. 2017.
- Yamane T. Statistics, an Introductory Analysis. 2nd Ed., Harper & Row, New York, United States: 1967.