February 2019, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp 48-53.
Polyurethane Foam Production using Sunflower oil and Soybean oil as Polyol and Surfactant
E. I. Victor¹*, J. O. Okechukwu², M. A. Femi², O. M. Ogbonneya³
¹Production Department, Exotic Foam and Chemical Limited, Nkpor, Anambra State, Nigeria.
²Department of Chemistry, Modibbo Adamawa University of Technology, Yola, Adamawa State, Nigeria.
³Holy Rosary College, Okposi, Ebonyi State, Nigeria.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
In recent times, vegetable oils have shown promising characteristics in the replacement of petroleum-based chemicals. This is very attracting because they are inexpensive, readily available and most importantly renewable in nature hence reducing environmental pollution and degradation. Sunflower oil and soybean oil were blended with polyol and silicone oil in different percentages and were used to produce samples of flexible polyurethane foam as a partial replacement for polyol and silicone oil respectively. Physico-mechanical tests carried out on the various samples revealed that foam made with 15% soybean oil and 10% sunflower oil had outstanding properties which are very similar to a control sample (S0) made with only silicone oil and polyol respectively.
Keywords: Flexible foam; Vegetable oil; Sunflower oil; Soybean oil; Elongation at break point; compression set.
- Ashida K. Polyurethane and Related Foams Chemistry and Technology. 1st ed. Florida: Taylor & Francis Group; 2017.
- Szycher M. Szycher's Handbook of Polyurethanes. 2nd ed. New York: CRC Press; 2006.
- Victor EI, Louis IC. Replacement of polyurethane resin with castor oil-based alkyd resin in gloss paint production. International Journal of Industrial Engineering 2018;2(12):247-51.
- Boustead I. Polyurethane Flexible Foam: Eco-profiles of the European Plastics Industry. Plastics Europe. 2005.
- Aremu MO, Ojetade JO, Olaluwoye OS. Production of flexible polyurethane foam using soya bean oil and palm kernel oil as surfactant and polyol respectively. Chemical and Process Engineering Research 2015;35:24-31.
- Beltran AA, Boyaca LA. Production of rigid polyurethane foams from soy-basedpolyols. Latin American Applied Research 2011;41:75.
- Shufen L, Zhi J, Kaijun Y, Shuqin Y, Chow WK. Studies on the thermal behaviour of polyurethanes. Polymer Plastic Technology Engineering 2006;45:95-108.
- Niemeyer T, Patel M, Geiger E. A further examination of soy-based polyols in polyurethane systems. Alliance for the Polyurethane Industry Technical Conferences. Salt Lake City, UT, 2006.
- Yusuf AK, Mamza PAP, Ahmed AS, Agunwa U. Physico-mechanical properties of rigid polyurethane foams synthesized from modified castor oil polyols. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications 2016;6(7):548-56.
- Singh SP, Singh D. Biodiesel production through the use of different sources and characterization of oils and their esters as the substitute of diesels. Renew Sustain Energy Rev 2010;14:200-16.
- Evangelos GG. Analysis of 22 vegetable oils' physico-chemical properties and fatty acid composition on a statistical basis, and correlation with the degree of unsaturation. Renewable Energy 2018;126:403-19.
- Salgin U, Döker O, Çalimli A. Extraction of sunflower oil with supercritical CO2: experiments and modeling. Journal of Supercritical Fluids 2006;38:326-31.
- Öztürk T, Murat M. Effects of the storage period on the physico-mechanical and some quality properties of sunflower seeds (Helianthus annuus L.). GOÜ Ziraat Fakültesi Dergisi 2011;28(2):33-41.
- Les ST, Ramesh NS. Polymeric foams: mechanics and materials. New York: CRC Press; 2004.
- Prodhan UK, Jannatul Q, Sidur MR, Islam MA, Link MR, Rahman MN. Chemical characteristics of different brands of soybean oil available in Bangladesh. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology 2015;4(4):338-343.
- Brien ORD. Fats and oils formulating and processing for application. Boca Raton: CRC Press; 2004, pp. 17-30.
- Kailas MT, Mahajan DT. Studies on physiochemical properties of soybean oil and its blend with petroleum oils. International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology 2012;3(2):511-17.
- World Agricultural Production Report as Published by United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Foreign Agricultural Service, Office of Global Analysis; Circular series WAP 12-18, Dec. 2018. pp. 1-31.
- Usman MA, Adeosun SO, Osifeso GO. Optimum calcium carbonate filler concentration for flexible polyurethane foam composite. Journal of Minerals & Materials Characterization & Engineering 2012;11(3):311-20.
- Ogunfeyitimi OS, Okewale AO, Igbokwe PK. The use of castor oil as a reactive monomer in synthesis of flexible polyurethane foam. International Journal of Multidisciplinary Sciences and Engineering 2012;3(10):10-14.
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology