International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
December 2019, Vol. 4, No. 12, pp 298-301.
Antibacterial Activity of Ulva Lactuca Extract against various Bacterial Species
G. Baskar*, S. Preethi, K. B. Revathy
Department of Biotechnology, St. Joseph's College Of Engineering, Chennai - 600119. India.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Antimicrobial activity for pathogenic microbes is ubiquitous and is the main cause of human health problem issues. In medicine various preventive and curative interventions have been adopted. Development of synthetic and natural drugs is one of the critical ways to treat the human health problems. Ulva lactuca is macroalgae grows on rocks and form stable, multi-layered and perennial vegetation. U. lactuca has been reported as a potent source of antimicrobial and antitumor agent. Antibacterial activity of extracted product was observed. The zone of inhibition observed after 24 h for B. subtilis was 15 mm. The zone of inhibition observed after 24 h for Klebsiella pneumoniae was 13 mm. These results confirmed that the extract of U. lactuca has good antibacterial property.
Keywords: Antimicrobial activity; Ulva lactuca; Macroalgae; Zone of inhibition.
- Alves A, Sousa R, Reis RL. A practical perspective on ulvan extracted from green algae. Journal of Applied Phycology 2012;25(2):407-24.
- Sobrino I, Silva L, Bellido JM, Ramos F. Rainfall, river discharges and sea temperature as factors affecting abundance of two coastal benthic cephalopod species in the gulf of Cadiz (SW Spain). Bull Mar Sci 2002;71:851-65.
- Devi KP, Suganthy N, Kesika P, Pandian SK. Bioprotective properties of seaweeds: In vitro evaluation of antioxidant activity and antimicrobial activity against food borne bacteria in relation to polyphenolic content. BMC Complement Altern Med 2008;8:38.
- Wolela AD, N Govindan N. Ecofriendly antimicrobial finishing of cotton with extract of lemon peels. International Journal of Modern Science and Technology 2019;4 (10):252-59.
- Cherian E, Rajan A, Baskar G. Synthesis of manganese dioxide nanoparticles using co-precipitation method and its antimicrobial activity. International Journal of Modern Science and technology 2016;1 (1):17-22.
- Arya A, Gupta K, Chundawat TS, Vaya D. Biogenic synthesis of copper and silver nanoparticles using green Alga Botryococcus braunii and Its Antimicrobial Activity. Bioinorganic Chemistry and Applications 2018;2018:Article ID 7879403.
- Razarinah W, Rizlan Ross EE, Farinna N, Rahim A. Antimicrobial activity of marine green algae extract against microbial pathogens, Malaysian Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 2018;2(2):42-6.
- Smit AJ. Medicinal and pharmaceutical uses of seaweed natural products: A review. Journal of Applied Phycology 2004;16(4):245-62.
- Spolaore P, Joannis-Cassan C, Duran E, Isambert A. Commercial applications of microalgae. Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering 2006;101(2):87-96.
- Lartigue L, Sherman T. Field assays for measuring nitrate reductase activity in Enteromorpha sp. (Chloropphyceae), Ulva spp. (Chlorophyceae), and Gelidium sp. (Rhodophyceae). J Phycol 2002;38:971-82.