December 2019, Vol. 4, No. 12, pp 294-297.
The Effect of Weave Structure on Mechanical Property of Denim Fabric
Derseh Yilie Lemeneh, Amanuel Borena, Alamaw Gezahegn, Temesgen Dekeba
Ethiopian Institute of Textile and Fashion Technology, Bahir Dar University, Bahir Dar, Ethiopia.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fabrics are designed to fit different projected demands in order to be suitable for their end use. Strength and abrasion resistance of fabric is very important for the end use of the fabric for its performance. The mechanical and physical properties of the fabric are affected by different factors. The study conducted focuses preliminarily on the effect of weave structure on the strength and abrasion resistance of the fabric. An investigation was undertaken to determine the effects that affect the mechanical and physical properties of fabric which is strength and abrasion resistance of the fabric by taking sample fabrics with different construction and testing the required property. The effects are studied were carried out by using laboratory testing with suitable testing equipment’s.
Keywords: Fabric structures; Denim fabric; Tensile strength; Tear strength; Abrasion resistance.
- Witkowska B, Frydrych I. Static Tearing, Part II: Analysis of Stages of Static Tearing in Cotton Fabrics for Wing-shaped Test Specimens. Text Res J 2008;78:977-87.
- Doustaneh AH, Mahmoudian S, Mohammadian M, Jahangir A. The effects of weave structure and yarn fiber specification on pilling of woven fabrics. World Appl Sci J 2013;24:503-6.
- Göktepe Ö. Fabric Pilling Performance and Sensitivity of Several Pilling Testers. Text Res J 2002;72:625-30.
- Gintis D, Mead EJ. The Mechanism of Pilling. Text Res J 1959;29:578-85.
- Lomov SV, Truevtzev AV, Cassidy C. A Predictive Model for the Fabric-to Yarn Bending Stiffness Ratio of a Plain-Woven Set Fabric. Text Res J 2000;70:1088-96.
- Saville BP. Physical testing of textiles. Science Research, Elsevier. 1999.
- Peerzada MH, Abbasi SA, Khatri A. Effect of weave strucrure on tensile strength and yarn crimp of three-dimensional fibre woven fabric. Sci Int 2012;24:47-50.
- Hu J. Structure and Mechanics of Woven Fabrics, Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge, 2004.
- Zaneta R, Rimvydas M, Influence of Reed on Fabric Inequality in Width, Fibres and Textiles in Eastern Europe 2006;14:44-7.
- Behera BK, Rajesh Mishra JM, Dana K. Modeling of Woven Fabrics Geometry and Properties, in Woven Fabrics, H.Y. Jeon, (Ed). In Tech, 2012.
- Realff ML, Seo M, Boyce MC, Schwartz P, Backer S. Mechanical Properties of Fabrics Woven from Yarns Produced by Different Spinning Technologies: Yarn Failure as a Function of Gauge Length, Text Res J 2005;61:517-30.
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology