January 2019, Vol. 4, No 1, pp 19-25.
Helminth Parasites of Bagrus filamentosus from Lower River Benue, Nigeria
S. Ocholi Oyigene*՚¹, I. Alabi Korede¹՚²
¹Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture, Federal University of Agriculture. Makurdi, Nigeria.
²Department of Agricultural Extension and Management, Federal College of Forestry, Jos, Nigeria.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
The present study was designed to investigate the possible Helminth parasites of Bagrus filamentosus in Lower River, Nigeria. Eighty (80) Bagrus filamentosus (39 Males, 41 Females) were evaluated for this study. Examination of the fish species revealed that, they were infected with three helminth parasites species: Diphillobothrum latum, Camalanus and Eustrongyllus species. Of the 80 Bagrus filamentosus examined, 17(21.3%) were not infected by any helminthes parasite while 63 (38.7%) were infected and observed to harbour a total number of 163 parasites each belonging to one species of Cestode (Diphillobothrium latum) and two species Nematode (Camalanus and Eustrongyllus species). Diphillobothrium latum, 63 (38.7%) was found to be the most abundant species, while Camalanus species 39 (23.9%) had the least. Among the body parts examined, stomach and intestine harboured the observed parasites. The results of parasitic prevalence of Bagrus filamentosus in relation to Sex also showed that the females had the highest percentage parasite load of 96 (59.51%) while the male recorded the least 67 (41.10%). Percentage infestation followed the same trend as 47.5% for female and 31.25% for male. Fish with smaller body weight haboured more parasites than those with larger body weight while parasitic prevalence was also observed to be high for the studied specie.
Keywords: Helminthes; Bagrus filamentosus; Cestode; Nematode.
- Kawe SM, God'spower RO, Balarabe MR, Akaniru RI. Prevalence of gastrointestinal helminth parasites of Clarias gariepinus in Abuja, Nigeria. Sokoto Journal of Veterinary Science 2016;14:26-33.
- Ibeun, MO. Information for Fisheries Management in Nigeria; The role of Libraries and Networking. National Institute for Freshwater Fisheries Research. New Bussa, Niger state. Nigeria 2006; Pp. 158
- Aken'Ova TO. Helminthes infection of the gills of Clarias species in Zaria. Nigeria Journal of Parasitology 1999;20:113-21.
- Abdel-Gaber R, El Garhy M, Morsy K. Prevalence and Intensity of Helminth Parasites of African Catfish Clarias gariepinus in Lake Manzala, Egypt. Advance Bioscience Biotechnology 2015;6:464-9.
- Roberts RJ. Fish Pathology: Parasitology of Teleosts (Robert R.L.)(Online). http://www.afip.org/ vetpath/POLA/99/Diseases of fish.htm. 2001
- Roberts LS, Janovy J, Schmidt GD, Roberts LS. Foundations of parasitology, 6th Edition. International Editions, Bosto,. 2000.
- Eyo JE, Iyaji FO, Obiekezie AI. Parasitic Infestation of Synodontis batensoda (Ruppell 1832, Siluriformes, Mockokidae) at Rivers Niger-Benue Confluence, Nigeria. African Journal of Biotechnology 2013;12:3029-39.
- Ibiwoye TII, Owolabi OO, Ajala AA, Oketoki TO, Adio SM, Adedapo AO, Ajeka PO, Agbontale JJ. Helminthes Parasites in freshwater fish species from Jebba Lake and Bida Flood Plain Area of River Niger, Nigeria. Proceedings of the 21st Annual Conference of the Fisheries Society of Nigeria (FISON) 2004.
- Ukoli FMA. Preliminary report of the helminthes infection of fish in the River Niger at Shagamu. Ghana University Press 2008; Pp. 269-285
- Omeji S, Tiamiyu IO, Annune PA, Solomon SG. Ecto and intestinal parasites of Malapterurus electricus from upper River Benue. Journal of global Bioscience 2014;3(6):895-903.
- Yanong RP. Nematode parasites of animals and Humans. Fishes & Aquatic Science [SFRC], Florida. 2002; Pp. 34.
- Klinger R, Francis-Floyd R. Introduction to Freshwater Fish Parasites. Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS) University of Florida. 2012; Pp. 123.
- Anthony EO, Christopher EO, Blessing JO. Gastrointestinal Helminths parasites in a community of fish species in a Niger Delta Tidal Creek, Nigeria. Journal of Ecosystems 2014; Article ID 246283.
- Lom J, Dyková I. Protozoan parasites of fishes. In Developments in Aquaculture and Fisheries Science, Elsevier, Amsterdam; 1992.
- Bondad-Reantaso MG, Subasinghe RP, Arthur JR, Ogawa K, Chinabut S, Adlard R, Tan Z, Shariff M. Disease and health management. Asian aquaculture. Veterinary Parasitology 2005;132:249-72.
- Feist SW, Longshaw M. Histopathology of fish parasite infections importance for populations. Journal of Fish Biology 2008;73:2143-60.
- Paperna I. Parasites infections and disease of fishes in Africa. CIFA Technical paper No. 31. Food and Agriculture Organization, Rome; 1996.
- Obiekezie AI, Moller H, Anders K. Diseases of the African estuarine Catfish Chrysichthys nigrodigitatus (Lacepede) from the Cross River estuary, Nigerian Journal of Fish Biology 1998;32:207-21.
- Ukoli FMA. Preliminary report on the helminthic infection of fish in the river Niger- Shagunu, In: White E. Ed. First Scientific Report of the Kainji Biological Research team. Liverpool Biology Research team, Kainji, 2005; Pp. 70-73.
- Dankishiya AS, Zakari M. Study on the gastrointestinal helminth parasites of Clarias gareipinus (teugels) in Gwagwalada, FCT Nigeria. Best Journal 2007;4(2):79-81
- Ugbor ON, Odo GE, Nwani CD, Ochang SN, Somdare PO, Agbakwuo CA. Parasitic fauna of two dominant clariid (Siluriformes) catfishes in a tropical freshwater ecosystem, Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Fisheries 2014;11:744-52.
- Oniye, S. J. and Annune, P. A. Common Fish Diseases, Prevention and Control. Proceeding of the National Workshop in Fisheries Extension Delivery. 1993; Pp 24.
- Biu AA, Akorede GJ. Prevalence of Endoparasites of Clarias gariepinus (Burchell, 1822) in Maiduguri, Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Fisheries and Aquaculture 2013;1:1-6.
- Jimeta RS. The Parasites of Chrysichthys auratus in the Tiga Lake, Kano, Nigeria. Unpublished M.Sc. Thesis B.U.K Kano, Nigeria. 1988.
- Ndifon GT, Jimeta RS. Preliminary observation on the parasites of Chrysichthys auratus [Geoffrey] in Tiga lake, Kano. The Nigerian Journal of parasitology 1990 9-11:139-44.
- Omeji S, Obande RA, Member ST. Prevalence of endoparasites of Synodontis shcall and Synodontis ocellifer (Upside-Down Cat Fish) from Lower River Benue, Nigeria. International Journal of Animal Biology 2015;5:176-81.
- Babatunde DO, Aminu R. Field Guide to Nigerian Freshwater fishes, 2nd Edition, Federal College of Freshwater Fisheries Technology, New Bussa, Nigeria. 2004
- Pouder DB, Curtis EW, Yanong RPE. Common freshwater fish parasites pictorial guide: Sessile ciliates. 2011.
- Margolis L, Esch GW, Holmes JC, Kuris AM, Schad GA. The use of ecological terms in parasitology (Report of the American Society of Parasitologists). Journal of Parasitology 1982;68:131-3.
- Marcogliese DJ. Food webs and the transmission of parasites to marine fish. Parasitology. 2002;124:S83-99
- Nunn AD, Noble RAA, Harvey JP, Cowx IG. The diets and parasites of larval and 0+ juvenile twaite shad in the lower reaches and estuaries of the rivers Wye, Usk and Towy, UK. Hydrobiologia 2008;614:209-18.
- Lagrue C, Kelly DW, Hicks A, Poulin R. Factors influencing infection patterns of trophically transmitted parasites among a fish community: host diet, host-parasite compatibility or both. Journal of Fish Biology 2011;79:406-85.
- Nmor JC, Egwunyenga AO, Ake JE. GObservation of the intestinal helminth parasites of cichlid in the upper reaches of River Orogodo, a freshwater body in Delta State, Southern Nigeria. Tropical Freshwater Biology 2004;13:131-6.
- Peterson, MS, Slack WT, Waggy GL, Finley J, Woodley CM, Partyka ML. Foraging in non-native environments: comparison of Nile Tilapia and three co-occurring native centrarchids in invaded coastal Mississippi watersheds. Environmental Biology of Fish 2006;76:283-301.
- Brummett RE. Clarias catfish: biology, ecology, distribution and biodiversity. In: Ponzoni RW, Nguyen NH (eds) Proceedings of a workshop on the development of a genetic improvement program for African catfish Clarias gariepinus. World Fish Center conference proceedings, no. 1889. World Fish Center, Penang; 2008.
- Mwita C, Nkwengulila G. Determinants of the parasite community of clariid fishes from Lake Victoria, Tanzania Journal of Helminthology 2008;82:7-16.
- Karoline R, Serge M, Pavel H, Sona T, Martin F, Andrea S. Are fish immune system realy affected by parasites? An immunoecological study of Common carp (Cyprinus carpio). Parasites and vectors. 2011.
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology