September 2018, Vol. 3, No. 9, pp. 196-202.
Extraction, purification and analysis of biological activity of anthocyanin like compound extracted from Punica granatum (Pomegranate) peel
D. Yuvaraj*, R. Jayalakshmi, J. Iyyappan, R. Gnanasekaran
Department of Biotechnology, Vel Tech High Tech Dr. Rangarajan Dr. Sakunthala Engineering College, Avadi, Chennai - 600062.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Anthocyanins are natural plant pigments that have numerous beneficial effect for plant as well as for humans. Anthocyanin protects plants from UV radiation, infection, injury and stress. Health benefits of anthocyanins are innumerable. The aim of this work is to extract anthocyanin like compound from Punica granatum (pomegranate) peel, which is discarded as waste after the consumption of fruit. Both dried peels and fresh peels of pomegranate were used in this study. The idea is to obtain something valuable from waste, which can be used in a beneficial way. Anthocyanins were extracted from peel by extraction with methanol and by using soxhlet apparatus. Quantification of anthocyanins were done by pH differential method. Antioxidant assays such as DPPH assay and ABTS assay were carried out. Antimicrobial studies with bacteria and fungi were also carried out by agar well diffusion method and a good zone of inhibition was obtained, which shows that pomegranate peel is rich in antimicrobial activity. Antioxidant and antimicrobial properties were greater for dried peel in comparison with fresh peels. The extracted anthocyanins can be used as natural colorant, this may be good replacement for chemical colorant. Anthocyanin based colorants are approved for food use all over the world, however there are some regulatory differences among countries.
Keywords: Anthocyanins; Antioxidant; Antimicrobial; HPLC; Food colorants.
- Sun LL, Gao W, Zhang MM, Li C, Wang AG, Su YL, Ji TF. Composition and Antioxidant Activity of the Anthocyanins of the Fruit of Berberis heteropoda Schrenk. Molecules 2014;19:19078-96.
- Ge Q, Ma X. Composition and antioxidant activity of anthocyanins isolated from Yunnan edible rose (Anning). Food Science and Human Wellness 2013;2:68-74.
- Shipp J, Abdel-Aal EM. 2010. Food Applications and Physiological Effects of Anthocyanins as Functional Food Ingredients. The Open Food Science Journal 2010;4:7-22.
- Kayesh E, Shangguan L, Korir NK, Sun X, Bilkish N, Zhang Y, Han J, Song C, Cheng ZM, Fang J. Fruit skin color and the role of anthocyanin. Acta Physiol Plant 2013;35:2879-90.
- Vankar PS, Srivastava J. Evaluation of Anthocyanin Content in Red and Blue Flowers. International Journal of Food Engineering 2010;6:4.
- Brito A, Areche A, Sepúlveda B, Kennelly EJ, Simirgiotis MJ. Anthocyanin Characterization, Total Phenolic Quantification and Antioxidant Features of Some Chilean Edible Berry Extracts. Molecules 2014;19:10936-55.
- Sarkis JR, Jaeschke DP, Tessaro IC, Marczak LDF. Effects of ohmic and conventional heating on anthocyanin degradation during the processing of blueberry pulp. LWT-Food Science and Technology 2013;51:79-85.
- Lima AJB, Corrêa AD, Saczk AA, Martins MP, Castilho RO. Anthocyanins, pigment stability and antioxidant activity in Jabuticaba. Revista Brasileira de Fruticultura 2011;33:877-87.
- Nisco MD, Manfra M, Bolognese A, Sofo A, Scopa A, Tenore GC, Pagano F, Milite C, Russo MT. Nutraceutical properties and polyphenolic profile of berry skin and wine of Vitis vinifera L. (cv. Aglianico). Food Chem 2013;140:623-29.
- Fawole OA, Makunga NP, Opara UL. Antibacterial, antioxidant and tyrosinase-inhibition activities of pomegranate fruit peel methanolic extract. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2012;12:200.
- Liu GL, Guo HH, Sun YM. Optimization of the Extraction of Anthocyanins from the Fruit Skin of Rhodomyrtus tomentosa (Ait.) Hassk and Identification of Anthocyanins in the Extract Using High-Performance Liquid Chromatography-Electrospray Ionization-Mass Spectrometry (HPLC-ESI-MS). Int J Mol Sci 2012;13:6292-302.
- Gao Z. Extraction, separation and purification of blueberry anthocyanin using ethyl alcohol. Kem Ind 2017;66:655-59.
- Veggi PC, Santos DT, M. Angela A. Meireles. 2011. Anthocyanin extraction from Jabuticaba (Myrciaria cauliflora) skins by different techniques: economic evaluation. Procedia Food Science 2011;1:1725-31.
- Chen H, Yu W, Chen G, Meng S, Xiang Z, He N. Antinociceptive and Antibacterial Properties of Anthocyanins and Flavonols from Fruits of Black and Non-Black Mulberries. Molecules 2018,23:1.
- Pengkumsri N, Chaiyasut C, Saenjum C, Sirilun S, Peerajan S, Suwannalert P, Sirisattha S, Sivamaruthi PS. Physicochemical and antioxidative properties of black, brown and red rice varieties of northern Thailand. Food Science and Technology 2015;35(2):331-38 .
- Castaneda-Ovando A, Pacheco-Hernandez ML, Paez-Hernandez ME, Rodriguez JA, Galan-Vidal CA. Chemical studies of anthocyanins: A review. Food Chem 2009;113:859-71.
- Masci A, Coccia A, Lendaro E, Mosca L, Paolicelli P, Cesa S. Evaluation of different extraction methods from pomegranate whole fruit or peels and the antioxidant and antiproliferative activity of the polyphenolic fraction. Food Chem 2016;202:59-69.
- Lee J, Durst RW, Wrolstad RE. Determination of Total Monomeric Anthocyanin Pigment Content of Fruit Juices, Beverages, Natural Colorants, and Wines by the pH Differential Method: Collaborative Study. J AOAC Int 2005;88: 1269-78.
- Yang Y, Yuan X, Xu Y, Yu Z. Purification of Anthocyanins from Extracts of Red Raspberry Using Macroporous Resin, International Journal of Food Properties 2015;18:1046-58.
- Okonogi S, Duangrat C, Anuchpreeda S, tachakittirungrod S, Chowwanapoonpohn S. Comparison of antioxidant capacities and cytotoxicities of certain fruit peels. Food Chem 2007;103(3):839-46.
- Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Rice-Evans C. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Radic Biol Med 1999;26(9-10):1231-37.
- Burin VM, Falcão LD, Gonzaga LV, Fett R, Rosier JP, Bordignon-Luiz MT. Colour, phenolic content and antioxidant activity of grape juice. Food science and Technology 2010;30:1027-32.
- Roy P, Amdekar S, Kumar A, Singh V. Preliminary study of the antioxidant properties of flowers and roots of Pyrostegia venusta (Ker Gawl) Miers. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2011;11:69.
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology