International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
July 2018, Vol. 3, No. 7, pp 161-165.
An Invitro study of Anti-Inflammatory, Antioxidant and Antimicrobial Potential of Artemisia pallens
N.V. Kanimozhi¹, N. Balaji²*
¹Centre for Biotechnology, Anna University, Chennai-600 025. India.
²*Department of Biotechnology, Madha Engineering College, Chennai-600 069. India.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
Artemisia pallens, commonly known as Davana, is an aromatic herb found abundantly in humid habitats in the plains all over India. The plant is accredited with anthelmintic, antipyretic and tonic properties and also considered as a good fodder. Phytochemical screening of this herb showed the presence of various phytoconstituents. Extracts were analyzed for their antimicrobial capacity against bacterial strains and fungal strains and their zone of inhibition was calculated. It was done by well diffusion method. Also anti-inflammatory activity was verified i.e., protein denaturation technique is used to evaluate the anti-inflammatory activity of the extract. Finally antioxidant capacity of the ethanol extract of Artemisia pallens was investigated by phosphomolybdenum method. The extract showed strong antioxidant activities indicating that Artemisia pallens extract functions an efficient antioxidant to scavenge free radicals and reduces free radical induced cellular damage.
Keywords: Artemisia pallens; Antimicrobial; Anti-inflammatory; Protein denaturation; Phosphomolybdenum method.
- Suresh J, Singh A, Vasavi A, Ihsanullah M, Mary S. Phytochemical and pharmacological properties of Artemisia pallens. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research 2011;2(12):3081-3090.
- Subramoniam A, Pushpangadan P, Rajasekharan S, Evans DA, Latha PG, Valsaraj R. Effects of Artemisia pallens wall on blood glucose levels in normal and alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 1996;50(1):13-17.
- Renuga G. Pharmaceutical efficacy of sapanin extracted from Artemisia pallens walls with refrence to MCF-7 Cell Line. Der Pharmacia Sinica 2015;6(11):8-13.
- Suresh J, Sri Vasavi Reddy A, Ahuja J, Sebastian M, Rajan SK. Antioxidant and Antimicrobial activity of Artemisia pallens. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Herbal Formulations 2011;1(2):13-18.
- Ashok P, Upadhyaya K. Preliminary phytochemical screening and physico chemical parameters of Artemisia absinthium and Artemisia annua. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2013;1(6):225-239.
- Ashok P, Upadhyaya K. Preliminary phytochemical screening and physico chemical parameters of aerial parts of Artemisia vulgaris. International Journal of Research in Ayurveda and Pharmacy 2010;1(1):206-211.
- Falodun A, Okunrobe LO, Uzoamaka N. Phytochemical screening and anti-inflammatory evaluation of methanolic and aqueous extracts of Euphorbia heterophylla Linn. African Journal of Biotechnology 2006;5(6):529-531.
- Tiwari P, Kumar B, Kaur M, Kaur G, Kaur H. Phytochemical screening and extraction: A review. International Pharmaceutica Sciencia 2011;1(1):98-106.
- Sabu MC, Kuttan R. Anti-diabetic activity of medicinal plants and its relationship with their antioxidant property. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 2002;81(2):155-160.
- Chakrabathy R, De B, Sen S. Anti-inflammtory, Antinocetive and Antioxidant activities activities of Phyllanthus acidus leaf extracts. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine 2012;12:953-961.
- Jayasri MA, Mathew L, Radha A. Areport on the antioxidant activities of leaves and rhizosomes of Costus pictus D. Don. International Journal of Integretive Biology 2009;5(1):20-26.
- Naik A, Krishnamurthy R, Pathak J. Antioxidant activity and phytochemical screening of Costus pictus D. Don leaf extracts. International Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemical Research 2017;9(6):789-796.
- Devare SM, Patil JA, Gaikwad SA, Torne RC. Deshpande NR, Salvekar JP. Antioxidant potential of Artemisia pallens roots. International Journal of PharmTech Research. 2013;5(3):1360-1363.
- Anjali D.Ruikar, Gayatri S.Kamble, Vedavati G.Puranik, Nirmala R.Deshpande. Antimicrobial Screening Of Medicinal Plant-Artemisia pallens. International Journal of PharmTech Research 2009;1(4): 1164-1166.
- Leelaprakash G, Mohan Dass S. Invitro anti-inflammatory activity of methanol extract of Enicostemma axillare. International Journal of Drug Development and Research 2011;3(3):189-196.
- Arjun K, Sangeetha M, Kamalraj R. Anti Inflammatory Activity Of Artemisia Pallens By Hyman Red Blood Cell Membrane Stabilization Method. Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2016;6(3):4829-4832.
- Sakat S, Juvekar AR, Gambhine MN. Invitro antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity of methanol extract of Oxalis corniculata Linn. International Journal Pharmcy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2010;2(1):146-155.