April 2018, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp 90-97.
Studies on phytochemical constituents, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of Annona reticulata peel extracts
J. Iyyappan¹,*, S. Rohinipriya¹, B. Bharathiraja¹, G. Baskar²
¹Vel Tech High Tech Dr. Rangarajan Dr. Sakunthala Engineering College, Chennai - 600062. India.
²Department of Biotechnology, St. Joseph’s College of Engineering, Chennai - 600119. India.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
In the present work, Annona reticulata fruit peel extracts were investigated for antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities. The peel extracts of Annona reticulata were acquired by using different solvent systems. Total phenolic contents were estimated by Folin–Ciocalteau method and flavonoid content were measured by aluminum chloride method. Proximate analysis such as total protein, carbohydrate, ash, and moisture contents were also carried out by standard methods. The plant extracts were analyzed by GC-MS method and simultaneously antioxidant activity was investigated by DPPH (1, 1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl) assay. Anti-inflammatory activity was also explored. Among five different solvents used, the maximum antioxidant activity and anti-inflammatory activity was found in ethanol extract followed by others. The total phenol and flavonoid content in peel extract were found to be 20.14 mg gallic acid equivalents (GAE)/g and 5.58+1.98 mg Quercetin Equivalent (QE)/g respectively. Thus, Annona reticulata fruit peel could serve as best lead composite for manipulating a persuasive anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory drug.
Keywords: Annona reticulata fruit peel; Extraction; Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity; Compound identification.
- Baskar R, Rajeswari V, Sathishkumar T. In vitro antioxidant studies in leaves of Annona species. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. 2007;45:480–85.
- Rout PS, Kar DM. Identification of chemical compounds present in different fractions of Annona reticulata L. leaf by using GC–MS. Natural Product Research. 2014;28 (20):1786–88.
- Wang XH, Li WZ. Antioxidant activity of polyphenols from Toona sinensis roem seeds and the inhibition of aldose reductase. African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicines. 2016;13(1):99–104.
- Zaman K, Pathak K. Pharmacognostical and phytochemical studies on the leaf and stem bark of Annona reticulata Linn. J Pharmacogn Phytochem. 2013;1:1–7.
- Sousa OV, Vieira GD, Pinho J, Yamamoto CH, Alves MS. Antinociceptive and Anti-Inflammatory Activities of the Ethanol Extract of Annona muricata L. Leaves in Animal Models. Int J Mol Sci 2010;11(5):2067–78.
- Rani JD, Devi RR, Shri MV. Phytochemical screening and antimicrobial activity of various solvent extracts of Annona reticulata leaves. International Journal of Science Inventions Today. 2013;2:347–58.
- Iqbal E, Salim KA, Lim LBL. Phytochemical screening, total phenolics and antioxidant activities of bark and leaf extracts of Goniothalamus velutinus (Airy Shaw) from Brunei Darussalam. Journal of King Saud University–Science. 2015;27: 224–32.
- Ganguly B, Kumar N, Ahmad AH, Rastogi SK. Influence of phytochemical composition on in vitro antioxidant and reducing activities of Indian ginseng [Withaniasomnifera (L.) Dunal] root extracts. Journal of Ginseng Research. 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jgr.2017.05.00
- Chigayo K, Mojapelo PEL, Moleel SM, Misihairabgwi JM. Phytochemical and antioxidant properties of different solvent extracts of Kirkiawilmsii tubers. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed. 2016 ;6(12):1037–43.
- Dhanani T, Shah S, Gajbhiye NA, Kumar S. Effect of extraction methods on yield, phytochemical constituents, and antioxidant activity of Withaniasomnifera. Arabian J Chem. 2017;10(1):1193–9.
- Iyyappan J, Balamurali MN, Bhuvaneshwari R, Baskar G, Seenuvasan M. Effective extraction of total phenolic compounds bearing anti-obesity activity from Eucalyptus globulus. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016;9(1):250–55.
- Subedi L, Timalsena S, Duwadi P, Thapa R, Paudel A, Parajuli K. Antioxidant activity and phenol and flavonoid contents of eight medicinal plants from Western Nepal. J Tradit Chin Med. 2014; 34(5):584–90.
- Bhandary SK, Kumari N, Bhat VS, Sharmila K, Bekal MP. Preliminary phytochemical screening of various extracts of Punica granatum peel, whole fruit and seeds. Nitte Univ J Health Sci. 2012;2:34–8.
- Shabbir M, Khan MR, Saeed N. Assessment of phytochemicals, antioxidant, antilipid peroxidation, and antihemolytic activity of extract and various fractions of Maytenus royleanus leaves. BMC Comp Alt Med. 2013;3(1);1–13.
- George VC, Kumar DR, Suresh PK, Kumar AR. Antioxidant, DNA protective efficacy and HPLC analysis of Annona muricata (Soursop) extracts, J Food Sci Technol. 2015;52(4):2328–35.
- Maria KM, Ayyanar M, Arumugam T, Enkhtaivan G, Jin K, Kim DH. Phytochemical screening and antioxidant activity of different solvent extracts from Strychnos minor Dennst leaves. Asian Pac J Trop Dis. 2015;5:204–9.
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ. Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem. 1951;193:265–75.
- Dubois M, Gilles KA, Hamilton JK, Rebers PA, Smith F. Calorimetric method for determination of sugars and related substances. Anal Chem. 1956;28:350–56.
- Brand-Williams W, Cuvelier ME, Berset C. Use of a free radical method to evaluate antioxidant activity. LWT Food Sci Technol. 1995;28:25–30.
- Rajkumar V, Guha G, Kumar RA. Antioxidant and anti-cancerpotentials of Rheum emodi rhizome extracts. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2011; Article ID 697986.
- Wang SY Jiao H, Correlation of antioxidant capacities to oxygen radical scavenging enzyme activities in blackberry. J Agri Food Chem. 2000;48(11):5672–76.
- Sahu R, Saxena J. Screening of total phenolic and flavonoid contentin conventional and nonconventional species of Curcuma. J Pharmacogn Phytochem. 2013;2:176–9.
- Singh KL, Bag G. Phytochemical analysis and determination of total phenolics content in water extracts of three species of Hedychium. Int J Pharm Tech Res. 2013;5:1516–21.
- Mizushima Y, Kobayashi M. Interaction of anti‐inflammatory drugs with serum preoteins, especially with some biologically active proteins. Journal of Pharma Pharmacol. 1968;20:169–73.
- Fridovich I. Fundamental aspects of reactive oxygen species, or what’s the matter with oxygen?. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1999;893:13–18.
- Othman A, Ismail A, Abdul NG, Adenan I. Antioxidant capacity and phenolic content of cocoa beans. Food Chem. 2007; 100:1523–30.
- Biswas S, Shahriar M, Khanam JA, Ahsan CR, Investigation of Antioxidant, In-vitro Cytotoxic, and In-vivo Antitumor Effects of Leaf Extracts of Annona Reticulata, Bangladesh J Microbiol. 2012 ;29(2):70–4.
- Marcia TP, Eliana CF, Luis AE, Brasil E, Paulo VF, Fabio AS. Phytochemical screening, antioxidant, and antimicrobial activities of the crude leaves’ extract from Ipomoea batatas (L.) Lam. Pharmacognosy Magazine. 2011;7(26):165–70.
- Sharma KR, Kalauni SK, Awale S, Pokharel YR. In vitro free radical scavenging activity of methanol extracts of some selected medicinal plants of Nepal. Austin J Biotechnol Bioeng. 2015;2(1):1035.
- Bajalan I, Zand M, Goodarzi M, Darabi M, Antioxidant activity and total phenolic and flavonoid content of the extract and chemical composition of the essential oil of Eremostachys laciniata collected from Zagros. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. 2017;7(2):144–46.
- Leelaprakash G, Mohan Dass S, Invitro Anti-Inflammatory activity of Methanol extract of Enicostemma Axillare. Int J Drug Dev Res. 2011;3(3):189–96.
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology