December 2018, Vol. 3, No. 12, pp. 262-268.
Effects of Background Colour on Incubation and Larval Rearing of African Catfish Clarias gariepinus (Burchell, 1822) in Water Recirculating System
Alabi I Korede¹,*, S. Ocholi Oyigene²
¹Department of Agricultural Extension and Management, Federal College of Forestry, Jos. Nigeria.
²Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture, Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi, Nigeria.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
The present study investigated the effects of background colour on hatchability and growth performance of Clarias gariepinus (Burchell, 1822) larvae in Water Recirculatory System. A simple 660 Litres Water Recirculation System (WRS) technology made of black and white rearing tanks was developed, built and evaluated for this study. The experiment was divided into two phases; artificial propagation using synthetic Ovaprim hormone and rearing the hatchlings for 14 days; and rearing the 14 days old fry for 42 days. In the first phase of the experiment, 2 grams fertilized eggs were incubated. Hatchability was estimated 24hours after incubation, while in the second phase, growth performance and feed utilization of hatchlings were investigated. Daily water replacement was maintained at 66 Litres for 42days. Hatchability results indicated that Black trough had high hatchability rate of 83.45±3.17%. Mean Weight Gain (MWG) of fry in black trough were significantly higher (4.55±0.09) than White trough (4.47±0.09). Specific Growth Rate (SGR) was observed to be lower in White trough (8.49±0.87). Food Conversion Ratio (FCR) followed a different pattern as fry in black trough (109.89±16.88) recorded low mean values. However, there were no significant difference (p>0.05) between the White and Black troughs in growth parameters investigated. Shooters (%) were observed to be higher in Black troughs (26.67%) while %Survival was high in white troughs (78.67%). Results of Water quality parameters indicated an optimum water quality for growth and survival of Clarias gariepinus within the facility. This study revealed that Black background tanks performed better for incubation and rearing Clarias gariepinus.
Keywords: Clarias gariepinus; Trough; Hatchlings; Fry; Ovaprim; Water Recirculatory System.
- Summerfelt ST, Williams JB, Tsukuda S. Controlled System Water Reuse and Recirculation in G.A. Wedemeyer editor. Fish Hatchery Management Second edition. American Fisheries Society. 2001. Bathesday, Maryland.
- Martins, CIM, Eding EH, Verdegem MCJ, Heinsbroek LTN, Schneider O, Blancheton JP, Roque d’Orbcastel E, Verreth JAJ. New developments in recirculating aquaculture systems in Europe: A perspective on environmental sustainability. Aquacultural Engineering 2010;43:83-93.
- Hutchinson W, Jeffrey M, O‟Sullivan D, Casement D, Clark S. Recirculating Aquaculture System Minimum Standard for Design, Construction and Management. South Australia Research and Development Institute. 2004.
- Timmons MB, Ebeling JM, Wheaton FW, Summerfelt ST, Vinci BJ. Recirculating Aquaculture Systems. 2nd Northeastern Regional Aquaculture Center Publication 2002:01-002.
- Rasmussen MR, Laursen J, Craig SR, McLean E. Do fish enhance tank mixing?. Aquaculture 2005;250:162-74.
- Salze G, McLean E, Schwarz MH, Craig SR. Dietary manner; Oligosaccharides enhance stress resistance and gut development of larval cobia Rachycentron canadum (L. 1766). Aquaculture 2008;274:148-52
- Sumner FB. The adjustment of flatfishes to various backgrounds: A study of adaptive color change. Journal of experimental Zoology 1911;10:409-506.
- Martins CIM, Pistrin MG, Ende SSW, Eding EH, Verreth JAJ. The accumulation of substances in Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (RAS) affects embryonic and larval development in Common carp Cyprinus carpio. Aquaculture 2009;291: 65-73.
- Ostrowski AC. Effect of rearing tank background color on early survival of dolphin larvae. Progressive Fish Culture 1989;51:161-63.
- Duray MN, Estudillo CB, Alpasan LG. The effect of background color and rotifer density on rotifer intake, growth and survival of the grouper (Epinephelus suillus) larvae. Aquaculture 1996;146;217-24.
- Martinez–Cardenas L, Purser GJ. Effect of tank color on Artemia ingestion, growth and survival in cultured early juvenile pot–bellied Seahorses (Hippocampus abdominalis). Aquaculture 2007;264:92-100.
- Rotllant J, Tort L, Montero D, Pavlidis M, Martinez M, Bonga SEW, Balm PHM. Background color influence on the stress response in cultured red porgy Pagrus pagrus. Aquaculture 2003;223:129-39.
- Barcellos LJG, Kreutz LC, Quevedo RM, da Rosa JGS, Koakoski G, Centenaro L, Pottker E. Influence of color background and shelter availability on Jundia (Rhamdia quelen) stress response. Aquaculture 2009;288:51-6.
- Tamazouzt L, Chatain B, Fontaine P. Tank wall colour and light level affect growth and survival of Eurasian perch larvae (Perca fluviatilis L.). Aquaculture 2000;182:85-90.
- Alabi K.I., Solomon S.G., and Okayi R. G. Design, construction and use of a model water recirculating system for incubation and rearing of cyprinus carpio. Banat’s Journal of Biotechnology 2017;8(15):5-11.
- Losordo TM, Hobbs AO, Delong DP. The design and Operational Characteristics of the C.P & L/EPRI fish barn a Demonstration of Recirculating Aquaculture Technology. Aquaculture Engineering 2000;22:3-16.
- Akinwole AO, Faturoti EO. Biological performance of African catfish (Clarias gariepinus) cultured in recirculating system in Ibadan. Aquaculture Engineering 2007. 36:18-23.
- Ferencz A, Juhasz R, Butnariu M, Deer AK, Varga IS, Nemcsok J. Expression analysis of heat shock genes in the skin, spleen and blood of common carp (Cyprinus carpio) after cadmium exposure and hypothermia. Acta Biologica Hungarica 2012;63(1):15-25.
- Timmons MB, Summerfelt ST, Vinci BJ. Review of circular tank technology and management. Aquaculture Engineering 1998;18:51-69.
- Losordo TM, Masser MR, Rakocy J. Recirculating Aquaculture Tank Production Systems. An Overview of Critical Considerations. Southern Regional Aquaculture Centre. 1998;451:6.
- Papoutsoglou SE, Mylonakis G, Miliou H, Karakatsouli NP, Chadio S. Effects of Background colour on growth performances and physiological responses of scaled carp (Cyprinus carpio L.) reared in a closed circulated system. Aquaculture Engineering. 2000;22:309-18
- Karakatsouli N, Papoutsoglou SE, Manolessos G. Combined effects of rearing density and tank colour on the growth and welfare of juvenile White sea bream Diplodus sargus L. in a recirculating water system. Aquaculture Research 2007;38:1152-60.
- Adamu KM, Nwadukwe FO. Growth and physiological profiles of hybrid catfish fed practical diet in different water regimes. Wayamba Journal of Animal Science 2013;5:743-52.
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology