International Journal of Modern Science and Technology, Vol. 2, No. 9, 2017, Pages 311-317.
Heavy Metal Removal and Dye Decolourization by Adsorption using Mangifera indica
C. Gomadurai¹,*, S.Vaishnavi², L. Dharani³
¹,³Department of Chemical Engineering, Kongu Engineering College, Erode, Tamilnadu – 638 060. India.
²Department of Petrochemical Engineering, RVS College of Engineering, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu – 641 402. India.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
The removal of heavy metal (Cu) and decolourisation of dye (Congo red, acid violet, reactive yellow) from aqueous solution using an adsorbent prepared from Mango leaf was investigated in this study. The influence of time of mechanical shaking, mass of adsorbent (0.5, 1, 1.5,2 mg), initial pH, initial concentration (2000, 1500, 1000,500,250 mg/L) on adsorption has been evaluated. It is shown that adsorbent prepared from Mango leaf powder has a relatively high adsorption capacity for these adsorbates. For 500 mg/L of solution prepared, the percentage of decolourisation for 2 g of adsorbent and 1 hour of mechanical shaking was found to be 39.4% for the metal, and 41.4, 50.9 and 22.7% for Congo red, acid violet, reactive yellow, respectively. All the experiments were carried out at normal room temperature (25 -28 ºC) and neutral pH. A set of readings taken by varying pH shows that the adsorption capacity is also influenced by pH. Of the two kinds of adsorbent prepared, adsorbent prepared by oven drying is found to be more effective than adsorbent by natural drying. A kinetic models applied to the adsorption by mango leaf powder was evaluated and it was found that the equilibrium data were well described by Type-I adsorption model.
Keywords: Adsorption; Heavy metal; Dye; Decolourization; Mango leaf.
- Bailey SE, Olin TJ, Bricka RM, Adrian DD. A review of potentially low cost sorbents for heavymetals. Water Res. 1999;33:2469-2479.
- Khairia M. Al-Qahtani. Water purification using different waste fruit cortexes for the removal of heavy metals. J Taibah Univ Sci. 2016;10:700-708.
- Gupta VK, Gupta M, Sharma S. Process development for the removal of lead and chromium from aqueous solution using red mud – an aluminum industry waste. Water Res. 2001;35:1125-1134.
- Huang CP and Smith EH. Removal of Cd (II) from plating wastewater by an activated Carbon process. Env Sci Technol. 1981; 25: 437-446.
- Bhattacharya K, Venkobachar C. Removal of cadmium (II) by low cost adsorbents. J Env Eng. 1984;110:110-112.
- Xin Y, Guoren X, Huarong Y. Removal of lead from aqueous solutions by ferric activated sludge-based adsorbent derived from biological sludge. Arabian Journal of Chemistry. 2016; https:\\doi.org\10.1016\j.arabjc.2016.04.017.
- Karnitz O, Gurgel LVA, de Melo JCP, Botaro VR, Melo TMS, de Freitas Gil RP, Gil LF. Adsorption of heavy metal ion from aqueous single metal solution by chemically modified sugarcane bagasse. Bioresour Technol. 2007;98:1291-1297.
- Cao X, Ma L, Gao B, Harris W. Dairy-Manure Derived Biochar Effectively Sorbs Lead and Atrazine. Env Sci Technol. 2009;43:3285-3291.
- Azimi A, Azari A, Rezakazemi M, Ansarpour M. Removal of heavy metals from industrial wastewaters: A review. Chem Bio Eng Rev. 2017;4:37-59
- W.S. Wan Ngah , M.A.K.M. Hanafiah. Removal of heavy metal ions from wastewater by chemically modified plant wastes as adsorbents: a review. Bio Technol. 2008;99:3935-3948
- Cowan CE, Zachara JM and Resch CT. Cadmium adsorption on iron oxides in the presence of alkaline-earth element. Env Sci Technol. 1991;25:437-446.
- García-Rosales G, Colín-Cruz A. Biosorption of lead by maize (Zea mays) stalk sponge. J Environ Manage. 2010;91(11):2079-2086.
- Low KS, Lee CK and Leo AC. Removal of metals from electroplating wastes using banana pith. Bioresour Technol. 1995;51:227-231.
- Patterson JW, Allen and John J.Scala. Carbonate precipitation for heavy metal pollutants. J Water Pollut Control Fed. 1977;49:2397-2410.
- Creamer AE, Gao B, Zhang M. Carbon dioxide capture using biochar produced from sugarcane bagasse and hickory wood. Chem Eng J. 2014;249:174-179.
- Hidayu AR, Mohamad NF, Matali S, Sharifah ASAK. Characterization of Activated Carbon Prepared from Oil Palm Empty Fruit Bunch Using BET and FT-IR Techniques. Procedia Eng. 2013;68:379-384.
- Liu C, Tang Z, Chen Y, Su S, Jiang W. Characterization of mesoporous activated carbons prepared by pyrolysis of sewage sludge with pyrolusite. Bioresour Technol. 2010;101:1097-1101.