International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology, Vol. 2, No. 4, 2017, Pages 168-178.
Thermodynamic Sorption Studies of Metal Ions on Polyaniline-Sn(IV)Tungstophosphate: Hybrid Cation Exchanger
A. Akhtar¹,*, G. Nizami¹, Haroon²
¹Analytical Research Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, ²Physics Laboratory (Electronics), Department of Physics,Sir Syed Faculty of Science, Mohammad Ali Jauhar University Rampur, India-244901.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
A novel polymer based organic-inorganic cation exchanger (polyaniline-Sn(IV)tungstophosphate) has been synthesized using a sol−gel method by the incorporation of precipitates of Sn(IV)tungestophosphate into the matrices of polyaniline. It exhibits good cation exchange capacity as well as thermodynamic properties suitable for ion exchange process and ion exchange equilibria of bivalent [Mg(II), Ba(II)],trivalent [Y(III), Nd(III), Gd(III)] and tetravalent metal ions [Th(IV), Zr(IV)] with the hydrogen form of sorbent have been evaluated at different temperatures 30, 40, 50 and 60oC. Equilibrium constant (K°) and thermodynamic parameters like standard free energy (∆G°), entropy (∆S°) and enthalpy (∆H°) were also determined during the exchange reactions on this ion-exchange material. A correlation has been made for these parameters with the ion exchange characteristics of the exchanger. The variation of selectivity coefficients (log scale) with the equivalent fraction (Xm) of metal ions in the exchanger at constant ionic strength (0.03 M), gives a non-linear function against Xm.
Keywords: Exchanger; Ion exchange equilibria; Thermodynamic parameters; Selectivity coefficient.
- Nabi SA, Akhtar A, Khan MdDA, Khan MA. Synthesis, Characterization and Electrical Conductivity of Polyaniline‒Sn(IV) tungstophosphate Hybrid Cation Exchanger; Analytical Application for Removal of Heavy Metal Ions from Wastewater. Desalination. 2014;340:73-83.
- Nabi SA, Shalla AH. Synthesis, characterization and analytical application of hybrid; acrylamide zirconium (IV) arsenate a cation exchanger, effect of dielectric constant on distribution coefficient of metal ion. . Hazard Mater. 2009;163:657–664.
- Akhtar A, Khan MdDA, Nabi SA. Synthesis, characterization and photolytic degradation activity of poly-o-toluidine–thorium(IV) molybdophosphate cation exchanger: Analytical application in metal ion treatment. Desalination. 2015;361:1-12.
- Pandith AH, Varshney KG. Synthesis and ion exchange behavior of acrylonitrile-based zirconium phosphate-A new hybrid cation exchanger. Colloids Surf A. 2002;201:1–7.
- Al-Othman ZA, Inamuddin, Naushad Mu. Organic–inorganic type composite cation exchanger poly-o-toluidine Zr(IV)tungstate: Preparation, physicochemical characterization and its analytical application in separation of heavy metals. Chem Eng J. 2011;172:369–375.
- Li H, Zheng Z, Cao M, Cao R. Stable gold nanoparticle encapsulated in silica-dendrimers organic–inorganic hybrid composite as recyclable catalyst for oxidation of alcohol. Microporous Mesoporous Mater. 2010;136:42–49.
- Dallmann K, Buffon R. Sol–gel derived hybrid materials as heterogeneous catalysts for the epoxidation of olefins. Catal Commun. 2000;1:9–13.
- Zhang Y, Zhanga H, Bi C, Zhua Xi. Inorganic/organic self-humidifying composite membranes for proton exchange membrane fuel cell application. Electrochimica Acta. 2008;53:4096–4103.
- Nabi SA, Alam Z, Inamuddin. A cadmium ion-selective membrane electrode based on strong acidic organic inorganic composite cation-exchanger: polyaniline Ce(IV) molybdate. Sens Transd J. 2008;92:87–89.
- Iwata M, Adachi T, Tonidokoro M, Ohta M, Kobayashi T. Hybrid sol–gel membranes of polyacrylonitrile–tetraethoxysilane composites for gas permselectivity. J Appl Polym Sci. 2003;88:1752-1759.
- Kumar M, Tripathi BP, Shahi VK. Ionic transport phenomenon across sol-gel derived organic-inorganic composite mono-valent cation selective membranes. J Membr Sci. 2009;340:52-61.
- Chen Li, Ramadan A, Lu Li, Shao W, Luo F, Chen Ji. Biosorption of Methylene Blue from Aqueous Solution Using Lawny Grass Modified with Citric Acid. J Chem Eng Data. 2011;56:3392-3399.
- Robinson RA, Stokes RH. Table of osmotic coefficient of electrolytes in aqueous solution at 25°C. Trans Faraday Soc 1949;45:612-624.
- Singhal JP, Singh RP, Singh CP, Gupta GK. Thermodynamics of the exchange of nicotine on aluminium- montmorillonite. J Soil Sci.1976;27:42-47.
- Gains GL, Thomas HC. Adsorption studies on clay mineral, II. A formulation of the thermodynamic of exchange adsorption. J Chem Phys. 1953;21:714-718.
- Pehlivan E, Ersoz M, Pehlivan M, Yildiz S, Duncan HJ. The effect of pH and temperature on the sorption of Zinc(II), cadmium(II), and Aluminium(III) onto new metal-ligand complexes of sporopollenin. J Colloid Interface Sci. 1995;170:320-325.
- Ho YS. Removal of copper ions from aqueous solution by tree fern. Water Res. 2003;37:2323-2330.
- Kurtoğlu AE, Atun G. Determination of kinetics and equilibrium of Pb/Na exchange on clinoptilolite. Sep Purif Technol. 2006;50:62-70.
- Akhtar A, Khan MdDA, Nabi SA. Ion exchange kinetics and equilibrium studies of metal ions onto a hybrid cation exchanger: Polyaniline-Sn(IV)tungstophosphate. International Journal of Engineering Sciences and Research Technology. 2015;4(1):89-98.