International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology, Vol. 2, No. 4, 2017, Pages 144-151.
Grey Scale Histogram Based Image Segmentation Using Firefly Algorithm
S. Soundarya, B. Nemisha, R. Vishnu Priya, D. Sankaran
Department of Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering. St. Joseph’s College of Engineering, Chennai-600119, India.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the present work, optimal multi-level image segmentation is proposed using the Firefly Algorithm (FA). RGB histogram image is considered for both bi-level and multi-level segmentation. Multi-thresholding is used to enhance the information such as intensity, pixels of images based on the chosen threshold. In this work, heuristic algorithm based multi-thresholding such as Otsu’s thresholding and Kapur’s entropy function is implemented for Gray scale test images. Proposed technique are validated for mostly used benchmark images and the outcome of these algorithms are validated for already determined quality measures which is existing in the literature. The Performance of the gray scale images on Firefly Algorithm is carried out using these parameters, like objective value, PSNR, SSIM. From this paper, it is observed that, the considered heuristic algorithms are efficient to extract the information of image based on the chosen threshold values.
Keywords: Gray scale test image; Segmentation; Otsu; Kapur’s function; Firefly Algorithm; Image quality measure.
- Pal NR, Pal SK. A review on image segmentation techniques. Pattern Recognition, 1993;26(9):1277-1294.
- Sezgin M, Sankar B. Survey over image thresholding techniques and quantitative performance evaluation. Journal of Electronic Imaging. 2004;13(1):146–65.
- Tuba M. Multilevel image thresholding by nature-inspired algorithms: A short review. Computer Science Journal of Moldova. 2014;22(3):318–38.
- Manikantan K, Arun BV, Yaradonic DKS. Optimal Multilevel Thresholds based on Tsallis Entropy Method using Golden Ratio Particle Swarm Optimization for Improved Image Segmentation. Procedia Engineering. 2012;30:364 – 371.
- Akay B.A study on particle swarm optimization and artificial bee colony algorithms for multilevel thresholding. Applied Soft Computing. 2013;13(6):3066–3091.
- Sri Madhava Raja, N; Rajinikanth, V; and Latha, K. Otsu Based Optimal Multilevel Image Thresholding Using Firefly Algorithm. Modelling and Simulation in Engineering. 2014;Article ID:794574.
- Sarkar S, Das S. Multilevel image thresholding based on 2D histogram and maximum Tsallis entropy – A Differential Evolution Approach. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing. 2013;22(12):4788-4797.
- Rajinikanth V, Couceiro MS. RGB Histogram based coolor image segmentation using firefly algorithm. Procedia Computer Science. 2015;46:1449-1457.
- Martin D, Fowlkes C, Tal D, Malik J. A database of human segmented natural images and its application to evaluating segmentation algorithms and measuring ecological statistics. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Computer Vision. Vancouver, BC. 2001;2:416–423.
- Lee SU, Chung SY, Park RHA. Comparative Performance Study Techniques for Segmentation, Computer Vision, Graphics and Image Processing. 1990;52(2):171-190.
- Raja NSM, Suresh Manic K, Rajinikanth V. Firefly algorithm with various randomization parameters: an analysis. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 2013;8297:110-121.
- Otsu NA. Threshold selection method from Gray-Level Histograms, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics. 1979;9(1):62-66.
- Rajinikanth V, Sri Madhava Raja N, Satapathy SC. Robust Color Image Multi-thresholding Using Between-Class Variance and Cuckoo Search Algorithm. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing. 2016;433:379-386.
- Bhandari AK, Kumar A, Singh GK (2015) Modified artificial beecolony based computationally efficient multilevel thresholdingfor satellite image segmentation using Kapur’s, Otsu and Tsallisfunctions. Expert Syst Appl 42(3):1573-1601.
- Suresh Manic K, Krishna Priya R and Rajinikanth V. Image Multithresholding Based on Kapur/Tsallis Entropy and Firefly Algorithm, Comparative analysis between Kapur/Tsallis. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016;9(12):1-6.
- Krishnan PT, Balasubramanian P, Krishnan C. Segmentation of brain regions by integrating meta heuristic multilevel threshold with markov random field. Current Medical Imaging Reviews. 2016;12(1):4–12.
- Rajinikanth V, Sri Madhava Raja N, Latha K. Optimal Multilevel Image Thresholding: An Analysis with PSO and BFO Algorithms. Aust J Basic Appl Sci. 2014;8(9):443-454.
- Oliva D, Cuevas E, Pajares G, Zaldivar D, Osuna V.A Multilevel Thresholding algorithm using electromagnetism optimization. Neurocomputing. 2014;139:357-381.
- Yang XS. Firefly algorithms formultimodal optimization. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 2009;5792:169–178.
- Yang XS. Firefly algorithm, Levy flights and global optimization. Research and Development in intelligent Systems. London: Springer-Verlag;2009.p.209-218.
- Sathya PD, Kayalvizhi R. PSO-based Tsallis Thresholding Selection Procedure for Image Segmentation. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2010;5(4):39–46.
- Wang Z, Bovik AC, Sheikh HR, Simoncelli EP. Image quality assessment: from error visibility to structural similarity. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing. 2004;13(4):600-601
- Agrawal S, Panda R, Bhuyan S, Panigrahi BK. Tsallis entropy based optimal multilevel thresholding using cuckoo search algorithm. Swarm and Evolutionary Computation. 2013;11:16-30.
- Pun T.A new method for gray-level picture thresholding using the entropy of the histogram. Signal Process. 1980; 2(3):223-237.
- Oliva D, Cuevas E, Pajares G, Zaldivar D, Perez-Cisneros M. Multilevel Thresholding Segmentation Based on Harmony Search Optimization. Journal of Applied Mathematics, 2013;Article ID: 575414.