International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology, Vol. 2, No. 4, 2017, Pages 122-130.
Highly Dispersed Pt-Sn/GNS Catalysts for Ethanol Electro-Oxidation in Membraneless Fuel cells
S. Thilaga¹, V. Selvarani¹, S. Durga¹, S. Kiruthika², B. Muthukumaran¹,*
¹Department of Chemistry, Presidency College, Chennai – 600 005, India.
²Department of Chemical Engineering, SRM University, Chennai – 603 203, India.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
In the present work, Pt–Sn catalysts were synthesized on graphene nanosheets and their electrocatalytic activity for ethanol oxidation in membraneless fuel cell was investigated and compared with Vulcan XC-72R carbon supports. The physicochemical characterizations demonstrated that all the catalysts have the Pt face-centered cubic (fcc) structure with variations in the lattice parameter, indicating the incorporation of Sn after alloying. In comparison to carbon supports, the mean particle sizes of graphene-supported Pt–Sn catalysts were smaller. The electrochemical results obtained at room temperature showed that the Pt–Sn catalysts supported on graphene nanosheets showed superior electrochemical activity toward ethanol oxidation compared to Pt–Sn/Vulcan XC-72R. The enhancement of the electrocatalytic activities were discussed with respect to Pt–Sn alloy formation and the resulting modification of the electronic properties of Pt by Sn in the alloy structure. During the experiments performed on single membraneless fuel cells, graphene-supported Pt–Sn catalysts performed better than the carbon supported catalysts with power density of 37.5 mW cm-2. The better performance of graphene-supported catalysts may be due to the significant increase of electrochemical active surface area and the smaller particle size.
Keywords: Ultrasonic-assisted chemical reduction; Graphene nanosheets; Sodium percarbonate; Membraneless fuel cells.
- Kundu A, Jang J, Gill J, Jung C, Lee H, Kim S, Ku B, Oh Y. Micro-fuel cells-Current development and applications. J Power Sources. 2007;170:67-78.
- Morse JD. Micro fuel cell power source. Int J Energy Res. 2007;31:576-602.
- Tsang CW, Harrison AG. Chemical ionization of amino acids. J Am Chem Soc. 1976;98:1301-1308.
- Teresa I, Elena P. FTIR spectroscopic investigation of adsorbed ethanol on polycrystalline platinum. Electrochimica Acta. 1994;39:531-537.
- Li YS, Zhao TS. Understanding the performance degradation of anion-exchange membrane direct ethanol fuel cells. Int J Hydrogen Energy. 2012;37:4413-4421
- Zignani C, Gonzalezl ER, Baglio V, Siracusano S, Arico AS. Investigation of a Pt3Sn/C electro-catalyst in a direct ethanol fuel cell operating at low temperature for portable applications. Int J Electrochem Sci. 2012;7:3155-3166.
- Antolini E. Catalysts for direct ethanol fuel cells. J Power Sources. 2007;170:1-12.
- Dattta J, Singh S, Das S, Bandyopadhyay NR. A comprehensive study on the effect of Ru addition to Pt electrodes for direct ethanol fuel cell. Bulletin of Material Science. 2009;32:643-652.
- Abu B, Ahmed AN, Illya S, Marga-Martina P, Wolfgang G, Michael B. Rapid microwave-assisted polyol reduction for the preparation of highy active PtNi/CNT electrocatalsyts for methanol oxidation. ACS Catal. 2014;4(8):2449-2462.
- Ramos SG, Calafiore A, Bonesi AR, Triaca WE, Castro Luna AM, Moreno MS, Zampieri G, Bengio S. Supported catalysts for alcohol oxidation synthesis and analysis of their catalytic activity. Int J Hydrogen Energy. 2012;32:995-1001.
- Cunha EM, Ribeiro J, Kokoh KB, de Andrade AR. Preparation, characterization and applicaton of Pt-Ru-Sn/C trimetallic electrocatalysts for ethanol oxidation in direct fuel cell. Int J Hydrogen Energy. 2011;3:11034-11042.
- Almeida TS, Kokoh KB, De Andrade AR. Effect of Ni on Pt/C and PtSn/C prepared by the pechini method. Int J Hydrogen Energy. 2011;36:3808-3810.
- Yong W, Xiaomin W, Yongzhen W, Jinping L. Acid-treatment-assisted synthesis of Pt-Sn/graphene catalysts and their enhanced ethanol electro-catalytic activity. Int J Hydrogen Energy. 2015;40:990-997.
- Radmilovic V, Gasteiger HA, Ross Jr. PN. Structure and chemical composition of a supported Pt-Ru electrocatalyst for methanol oxidation. J Catal. 1995;154:98-106.
- Fei H, Xiaomin W, Jie L, Yongzhen W. The effect of Sn content on the electrocatalytic properties of Pt-Sn nanoparticles dispersed on graphene nanosheets for methanol oxidation oxidation reaction. Carbon. 2012;50:5498-5504.
- Borgna A, Stagg SM, Resasco DE. Interference phenomena in the EXAFS spectra of Pt-Sn bimetallic catalysts. J Phys Chem B. 1998;102:5077-5081.
- Zhou ZH, Wang SL, Zhou WJ, Jiang LH, Wang GX, Sun GQ, Zhou B, Xin Q. . Preparation of highly active Pt/C cathode electrocatalsyts for DMFCs by an improved aqueous impregnation method. Phys Chem Chem Phys. 2003;5:5485-5488.
- Ponmani K, Nayeemunisha SM, Kiruthika S, Muthukumaran B. Electrochemical characterization of platinum based anode catalysts for membraneless fuel cells. Ionics. 2015;19:1-11.
- Arun A, Gowdhamamoorthi M, Ponmani K, Kiruthika S, Muthukumaran B. Electrochemical characterization of Pt-Ru-Ni/C anode electrocatalyst for methanol electrooxidation in membraneless fuel cell. RSC Adv. 2015;5:49643-49650.
- Li Y, Gao W, Ci L, Wang C, Ajayan PM. Catalytic performance of Pt nanoparticles on reduced graphene oxide for methanol electro-oxidation. Carbon. 2010;48:1124-1130.
- Karim K. Decoration of graphene oxide with Platinum Tin nanoparticles for ethanol oxidation. Electrochimica Acta. 2015; 165:330-337.