International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology, Vol. 2, No. 2, 2017, Pages 74-80.
Retinal Vessel Extraction based on Firefly Algorithm guided Multi-scale Matched Filter
K. Keerthana¹, T.J. Jayasuriya¹, N. Sri Madhava Raja², V. Rajinikanth²,*
¹Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, St. Joseph’s College of Engineering, Chennai 600 119, Tamilnadu, India.
²Department of Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering, St. Joseph’s College of Engineering, Chennai 600 119, Tamilnadu, India.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Retinal image inspection is necessary to perceive and supervise a variety of retinal diseases. Extraction of vital retinal region is generally chosen to have a clear idea about the disease and the infected section. In the literature, the idea of matched filter is broadly accepted by the researchers to extract the retina vessel from the RGB retinal fundus images. In the proposed work, Firefly Algorithm (FA) assisted multi-scale matched filter is designed to extract the retinal vessel from a chosen RGB retinal image database. The major aim of the proposed work is to determine the optimal filter parameters of the multi-scale matched filter in order to achieve better accuracy in retinal vessel segmentation. During this study, the proposed work is tested on the DRIVE retinal image database. The efficiency of the proposed approach is confirmed by computing the image similarity measures, such as Jaccard, Dice, False Positive Rate (FPR) and False Negative Rate (FNR). The image statistical measures, such as sensitivity, specificity and accuracy are also calculated. These values are then compared against other similar procedures available in the literature and found that, the sensitivity and specificity of the proposed approach is better compared to the alternatives considered in this work.
Keywords: Fundus retinal image; firefly algorithm; multi-scale matched filter; performance evaluation.
- Raja NSM, Kavitha G, Ramakrishnan S. Assessment of retinal vasculature abnormalities using slantlet transform based digital image processing. Biomedical Sciences Instrumentation. 2011;47:88-93.
- Ramakrishnan S, Raja NSM,. Kavitha G. Analysis of vasculature detection in human retinal images using bacterial foraging optimization based multi thresholding. International Journal of Swarm Intelligence and Evolutionary Computation. 2014;3: 107. doi: 10.4172/2090-4908.1000107.
- Raja NSM, Kavitha G, Ramakrishnan S. Analysis of vasculature in human retinal images using particle swarm optimization based Tsallis multi-level thresholding and similarity measures. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 2012;7677:380-387.
- Hajeb SH, Rabbani H, Akhlaghi MR. Diabetic retinopathy grading by digital curvelet transform. Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine. 2012;2012:761901.
- Hajeb SH, Rabbani H, Akhlaghi MR. A new combined method based on curvelet transform and morphological operators for automatic detection of foveal avascular zone. Signal, Image and Video Processing. 2014;8(2):205-222.
- Golabbakhsh M, Rabbani H, Vessel-based registration of fundus and optical coherence tomography projection images of retina using a quadratic registration model. IET Image Processing. 2013;7(8):768-776.
- Ross JE, Bron AJ, Reeves BC, Emmerson PG. Detection of optic nerve damage in ocular hypertension. British Journal of Ophthalmology.1985;69(12):897-903.
- Nath MK, Dandapat S. Techniques of glaucoma detection from color fundus images: A review. International Journal of Image, Graphics and Signal Processing. 2012;4(9):44-51.
- Zhao Y, MacCormick IJC, Parry DG, Leach S, Beare NAV, Harding SP, Zheng Y. Automated detection of leakage in fluorescein angiography images with application to malarial retinopathy. Scientific Reports. 2015;5:10425.
- McClintic BR, McClintic JI, Bisognano JD, Block RC. The relationship between retinal microvascular abnormalities and coronary heart disease: A review. The American Journal of Medicine. 2010;123(4):374.e1–374.e7.
- Michael PD, Sumeet D. Optic disk detection using feature clustering and classification in retinal fundus images. Journal of Medical Imaging and Health Informatics. 2011;1:56-60.
- Pradeepa P, Vennila I. Retinal Fundus Image Registration via Blood Vessel Extraction Using Binary Particle Swarm Optimization. Journal of Medical Imaging and Health Informatics. 2016;6:328-337.
- Tang S, Lin T, Yang J, Fan J, Ai D, Wang Y. Retinal Vessel Segmentation Using Supervised Classification Based on Multi-ScaleVessel Filtering and Gabor Wavelet. Journal of Medical Imaging and Health Informatics. 2015;5:1571-1574.
- Sivakamasundari J, Kavitha G, Natarajan V, Ramakrishnan S. An Approach to Content Based Retinal Image Retrieval Using Papamarkos Multilevel Thresholding Method. Journal of Medical Imaging and Health Informatics. 2015;5:527-532.
- Sreejini KS, Govindan VK. Improved multiscale matched filter for retina vessel segmentation using PSO algorithm. Egyptian Informatics Journal. 2015;16:253-260.
- Sofka M, Stewart CV. Retinal vessel centerline extraction using multiscale matched filters, confidence and edge measures. IEEE Transaction on Medical Imaging. 2006;25(12):1531-1546.
- Yang XS. Firefly algorithms formultimodal optimization. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 2009;5792:169-178.
- Raja NSM, Manic KS, Rajinikanth V. Firefly algorithm with various randomization parameters: an analysis. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 2013;8297:110-121.
- Raja NSM, Rajinikanth V, Latha K. Otsu Based Optimal Multilevel Image Thresholding Using Firefly Algorithm. Modelling and Simulation in Engineering, 2014;2014:794574.
- Manic KS, Priya RK, Rajinikanth V. Image Multithresholding based on Kapur/Tsallis Entropy and Firefly Algorithm. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016;9(12):89949.
- Chaddad A, Tanougast C. Quantitative evaluation of robust skull stripping and tumor detection applied to axial MR images. Brain Informatics. 2016;3:53-61.
- Staal JJ, Abramoff MD, Niemeijer M, Viergever MA, Ginneken BV. Ridge based vessel segmentation in color images of the retina. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging. 2004;23:501-509.
- Frederic Z, Klein JC. Segmentation of vessel-like patterns using mathematical morphology and curvature evaluation. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 2001;10(7):1010-1019.
- Fraz Muhammad Moazam, Barman SA, Remagnino Paolo, Hoppe Andreas, Basit Abdul, Uyyanonvara Bunyarit, Rudnicka Alicja R, Owen Christopher G. An approach to localize the retinal blood vessels using bit planes and centerline detection. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine. 2012;108(2):600-616.
- Zhang Bob, Zhang Lin, Zhang Lei, Karray Fakhri. Retinal vessel extraction by matched filter with first order derivative of gaussian. Computers in Biology and Medicine. 2010;40(4):438-445.
- Perez MEM, Hughes Alun D, Thorn SA, Parker Kim H. Improvement of a retinal blood vessel segmentation method using the insight segmentation and registration toolkit (ITK). In: Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 2007. EMBS 2007. 29th Annual international conference of the IEEE. 2007;892-895.
- Martinez-Perez, Hughes Alun D, Stanton Alice V, Thom Simon A, Bharath Anil A, Parker Kim H. Retinal blood vessel segmentation by means of scale-space analysis and region growing. In: Medical image computing and computer-assisted intervention, MICCAI99, Springer; 1999; 90–97.
- Saleh MM, Ali M. Retinal image analysis using curvelet transform and multistructure elements morphology by reconstruction. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 2011;58(5):1183-1192.
- Rajinikanth V, Couceiro MS. RGB histogram based color image segmentation using firefly algorithm. Procedia Computer Science. 2015;46:1449-1457.