International Journal of Modern Science and Technology, Vol. 2, No. 2, 2017, Pages 61-69.
Correlation of Wear Rate with Surface Hardness of Pure Nylon and Graphite-Reinforced Nylon Composites
A. Ayesha, M. A. Islam
Department of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka-1000.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
Comparative tribological performance of pure nylon and 1 % (w/w) micron sized graphite particle reinforced nylon composite has been investigated. The influence of increasing sliding velocity and time on the wear rate has been revealed in this study. Wear test was carried out in a pin-on-disc type arrangement using 2 kg dead load under 0.43, 0.86 and 1.26 m/s sliding velocities in dry sliding condition. Interestingly, wear rate seems to show a downward trend with time in the composite sample but increases with the sliding velocity for both cases, although the effect is less pronounced in the composite samples. The addition of graphite was found to cause up to 7 fold decrease in wear rate and enhance tribological properties. The trends in wear rate variations at all conditions were found to be well correlated with surface hardness which were further complemented by surface roughness and morphological examinations.
Keywords: Nylon; Graphite; Sliding wear; Hardness.
- Czichos H, Klaffke D, Santner E, Woydt M. Advances in tribology: the materials point of view. Wear. 1995;190:155-161.
- Zhang S. State-of-the-art of polymer tribology. Tribology International. 1998;31:49-60.
- Zhao R-g, Luo W-b, Xiao H-m, Wu G-z. Water-absorptivity and mechanical behaviors of PTFE/PA6 and PTFE/PA66 blends. Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China. 2006;16:s498-s503.
- Meng H, Sui G, Xie G, Yang R. Friction and wear behavior of carbon nanotubes reinforced polyamide 6 composites under dry sliding and water lubricated condition. Composites Science and Technology. 2009;69:606-611.
- Chen Z, Li T, Yang Y, Liu X, Lv R. Mechanical and tribological properties of PA/PPS blends. Wear. 2004;257:696-707.
- Kumar SS, Kanagaraj G. Investigation on Mechanical and Tribological Behaviors of PA6 and Graphite-Reinforced PA6 Polymer Composites. Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering. 2016;41:4347-4357.
- Sun L-H, Yang Z-G, Li X-H. Mechanical and tribological properties of polyoxymethylene modified with nanoparticles and solid lubricants. Polymer Engineering and Science. 2008;48:1824-1832.
- Srinivas CL, Sarcar M, Suman K, Prakash K. Dry sliding wear behavior of graphite filled polyamide 66 composite material. International Journal of Materials Engineering and Technology 2013;10:9-18.
- Jia Z, Hao C, Yan Y, Yang Y. Effects of nanoscale expanded graphite on the wear and frictional behaviors of polyimide-based composites. Wear. 2015;338:282-287.
- Rodriguez Fereira V, Sukumaran J, De Baets P, Ost W, Perez Delgado Y, Andó M. Friction and wear properties of polyamides filled with molybdenum disulphide (MoS₂). Mechanical Engineering Letters. 2011;5:68-80.
- Unal H, Mimaroglu A. Friction and wear performance of polyamide 6 and graphite and wax polyamide 6 composites under dry sliding conditions. Wear. 2012;289:132-137.
- Xin Deng DXL, Jin Wang, Jun Yang. Polyamide 6/Polyurethane/Graphite Composites Prepared by Anionic Polymerization Process. II. Friction and Wear. Advanced Materials Research. 2012; 532-533:30-34.
- Wang J, Gu M. Wear properties and mechanisms of nylon and carbon‐fiber‐reinforced nylon in dry and wet conditions. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 2004;93:789-795.
- Yang J, Tian M, Jia QX, Zhang LQ, Li XL. Influence of graphite particle size and shape on the properties of NBR. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 2006;102:4007-4015.
- Harnoy A. Bearing design in machinery: engineering tribology and lubrication. CRC press; 2002.
Standard A. G99, Standard test method for wear testing with a pin-on-disk apparatus. ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA; 2006.
- Mody PB, Chou T-w, Friedrich K. Effect of testing conditions and microstructure on the sliding wear of graphite fibre/PEEK matrix composites. Journal of Materials Science. 1988;23:4319-4330.
- Bahadur S. The development of transfer layers and their role in polymer tribology. Wear. 2000;245:92-99.
Eiss, N. S., Wood, K. C., Herold, J. A., & Smyth, K. A. Model for the transfer of polymer to rough, hard surfaces. Journal of Lubrication Technology. 1979;101:212-218.
- Jia B-B, Li T-S, Liu X-J, Cong P-H. Tribological behaviors of several polymer–polymer sliding combinations under dry friction and oil-lubricated conditions. Wear. 2007;262:1353-1359.
- Watanabe M, Karasawa M, Matsubara K. The frictional properties of nylon. Wear. 1968;12:185-191.
- Shin M, Kim S, Jang H. Friction and wear of polyamide 66 with different weight average molar mass. Tribology Letters. 2011;44:151.
- Wang J, Gu M, Songhao B, Ge S. Investigation of the influence of MoS 2 filler on the tribological properties of carbon fiber reinforced nylon 1010 composites. Wear. 2003;255:774-779.
- Vroegop P, Bosma R. Subsurface melting of nylon by friction-induced vibrations. Wear. 1985;104:31-47.
- Prabu SS, Prathiba S, Garg ASS, Manikandan G, Sriram C. Investigation on adhesive wear behaviour of industrial crystalline and semi-crystalline polymers against steel counterface. International Journal of ChemTech Research. 2014;6:3422-3430.
- Barrett T, Stachowiak G, Batchelor A. Effect of roughness and sliding speed on the wear and friction of ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene. Wear. 1992;153:331-350.
- Friedrich K, Karger-Kocsis J, Lu Z. Effects of steel counterface roughness and temperature on the friction and wear of PE (E) K composites under dry sliding conditions. Wear. 1991;148:235-247.
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology