International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology, Vol. 2, No. 2, 2017, Pages 50-55.
Ethanol Determination using Immobilized Enzymes
K. Vidhyarthy¹, S. Chittibabu²,*
¹Department of Biotechnology, Periyar Maniammai University, Vallam, Thanjavur- 613 403, Tamil Nadu, India.
²Department of Biotechnology & Chemical Engineering, Periyar Maniammai University, Vallam, Thanjavur- 613 403, Tamil Nadu, India.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
Several analytical methods have been developed during the years for use in food, forensic, fuels, clinical, and pharmaceutical industries. These include the use of chemical, spectroscopic and chromatographic methods. Though these methods are precise and reliable, they are complex, expensive and time consuming. Such drawbacks could be overcome by the use of enzymatic methods. Enzymes are highly specific biological catalysts and find a widespread application in biosensors. Their nature, specificity and catalytic properties make them excellent tools for chemical analysis. Biosensors based on the enzymes such as alcohol oxidase and horseradish peroxidase are intended to be discussed in this review, concerning their applications and detection mechanism in determination of compounds.
Keywords: Enzymes; Biosensors; Alcohol oxidase; Horseradish peroxidase.
- Ana M. Azevedo, Veronica C. Martins, Duarte M. F. Prazeres, Vojislav Vojinovic, Joaquim M. S. Cabral, Luis P. Fonseca. Horseradish peroxidase: A valuable tool in biotechnology. Biotechnology Annual Review. 2003;9:1387-2656.
- Ana M. Azevedo, D. Miguel F. Prazeres, Joaquim M. S. Cabral, Luis P. Fonseca. Ethanol biosensors based on alcohol oxidase-Review. Biosensors and Bioelectronics. 2005;21:235-247.
- Bambang Kuswandi, Titi Irmawati, Moch Amrun Hidayat, Jayus & Musa Ahmad. A simple visual ethanol biosensor based on alcohol oxidase immobilized onto polyaniline film for halal verification of fermented beverage samples. Sensors. 2014;14:2135-2149.
- Dan Shan, Qing Bo- Li, Shou- Nian Ding, Jia- Qi Xu, Serge Cosnier, Huai- Guo Xue. Reagentless biosensor for hydrogen peroxide based on self- assembled films of horseradish peroxidase/ laponite/ chitosan and the primary investigation on the inhibitory effect by sulphide. Biosensors and Bioelectronics. 2010;26:536-541.
- Dilek Odact, Suna Timur, Azme Telefoncu. Carboxyl esterase-alcohol oxidase based biosensor for the aspartame determination. Food Chemistry. 2004;84:493-496.
- Eliana M. Alhadeff, Andrea M. Salgado, Oriol Cos, Nei Pereira Jr, Belkis Valdman, Francisco Valero. Enzymatic microreactors for the determination of ethanol by an automatic sequential injection analysis system. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology. 2007;136:17-25.
- Farough Salimi, Masoud Neghadary, Gholamreza Mazaheri, Hajar Akbari- dastjerdi, Yousoof Ghanbari- kakavandi, Sholeh Javadi, Seyed hosein Inanloo, Maryam Mirhashemi- route, Mohammad hani Shokoohnia,
- Aida Sayad. A novel alcohol biosensor based on alcohol dehydrogenase and modified electrode with ZrO2 nanoparticles. International Journal of Electrochemical Science. 2012;7:7225- 7234.
- Gaia Rocchitta, Angela Spanu, Sergio Babudieri, Gavinella Latte, Giordano Madeddu, Grazia Galleri, Susanna Nuvoli, Paola Bagella, Maria Illaria Demartis, Vito Fiore, Roberto Manetti, Pier Andrea Serra. Enzyme biosensors for biomedical applications: Strategies for safeguarding analytical performances in biological fluids. Sensors. 2016;16(6):E780.
- Guangming Wen, Yan Zhang, Shaomin Shuang, Chuan Dong & Martin M. F. Choi. Application of a biosensor for monitoring of ethanol. Biosensors and Bioelectronics. 2007;23:121- 129.
- Haiying Liu, Xiaolin Zhang, Jianjun Wei, Xinxin Wu, Deyao Qi, Yongcheng Liu, Miao Dai, Tongyin Yu, Jiaqi Deng. An amperometric meldola blue-mediated sensor high sensitive to hydrogen peroxide based on immobilization of horseradish peroxidase in a composite membrane of regenerated silk fibroin and polyvinyl alcohol. Analytica Chimicia Acta. 1996; 329;97-103.
- Haiying Liu, Zhanen Zhang, Xiaolin Zhang, Deyao Qi, Yongcheng Liu, Tonyin Yu, Jiaqi Deng. A phenazine methosulphate- mediated sensor sensitive to lactate based on entrapment of lactate oxidase and horseradish peroxidase in composite membrane of polyvinyl alcohol and regenerated silk fibroin. Electrochimica Acta. 1997;42(3):349-355.
- Hyun Jung-Chung, Hyun Young-cho & Kwang-Hoon Kong. Immobilization of Hansenula polymorpha alcohol oxidase for alcohol biosensor applications. Bulletin of the Chemical Korean Society. 2009;30(1):57-60.
- Kuan Chung- Fang, Chen- Pin Hsu, Yen- Wen Kang, Jung- Ying Fang, Chih- Cheng Huang, Chia- Hsien Hsu, Yu- Fen Huang, Chih- Chen Chen, Sheng- Shian Li, J. Andrew Yeh, Da-Jeng Yao, Yu- Lin Wang. Realization of an ultra- sensitive hydrogen peroxide sensor with conductance change of horseradish peroxidase-immobilized polyaniline and investigation of the sensing mechanism. Biosensors and Bioelectronics. 2014;55:294-300.
- Lata Sheo Bachan Upadhyay, Nishant Verma. Enzyme inhibition based biosensors: A review. Analytical Letters. 2013;46(2) 225-241.
- Man Bock Gu, Hak-Sung Kim. Biosensors based on aptamers and enzymes. Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology. 2014;140. Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Mambo Moyo. Horseradish peroxidase biosensor to detect zinc ions in aqueous solutions. Open Journal of Applied Biosensor. 2014;2:1-7.
- Michael V. Mikrin, Shigeru Amemiya. Nanoelectrochemistry. 2015. CRC Press.
Nigel C. Veitch. Horseradish peroxidase: A modern view of a classic enzyme. Phytochemistry. 2004;65:249-259.
- Nuno M. T. Lourenco, Johannes Osterreicher, Pedro Vidinha, Susana Barreiros, Carlos A. M. Afonso, Joaquim M. S. Cabral, Luis P. Fonseca. Effect of gelatin ionic-liquid functional polymers on glucose oxidase and horseradish peroxidase kinetics. Reactive and Functional Polymers. 2011;71:489-495.
Pranab Goswami, Soma Sekhar R. Chinnadayyala, Mitun Chakraborty, Adepu Kiran Kumar, Ankana Kakoti. An overview of alcohol oxidases and their potential applications. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. 2013;97:4259-4275.
- Presnova G. V, Rybcova M. Yu, Egorov A. M. Electrochemical biosensors based on horseradish peroxidase. Russian Journal of General Chemistry. 2008;78(12):2482-2488.
- Ratislav Monosik, Miroslav Stredansky, Jan Take & Ernest Sturdik. Application of enzyme biosensors in analysis of food and beverages. Food Analytical Methods. 2012;5:40-53.
- Reshetilov Anatoly N, Reshytilova Tatyana A, Kitova Anna E. Alcohol oxidase enzyme of methylotrophic yeasts as a basis of biosensors for detection of lower aliphatic alcohols. Rai, Mahendra, (Eds.). Progress in Mycology. 2010;385-407. Springer Netherlands.
- Sanoe Chairman, Peerawich Buddhalee, Maliwan Amatatongchai. A novel hydrogen peroxide biosensor based on horseradish peroxidase immobilized on Poly (aniline- co- o- aminobenzoic acid) modified glassy carbon electrode coated with chitosan film. International Journal of Electrochemical Science. 2013;8:10250-10264.
- Sevinc Kurbanoglu, Levent Toppare. Ethanol biosensor based on immobilization of alcohol oxidase in a conducting polymer matrix via crosslinking with glutaraldehyde. Revue Roumaine de Chimie. 2015;60:453-460.
- Saleh Ahammad A. J. Hydrogen peroxide biosensors based on horseradish peroxidase and hemoglobin. Journal of Biosensor and Bioelectronics. 2013;S9:001. doi: 10.4172/2155-6210.S9-001.
- Xiao Jun Wu, Martin M. F. Choi. Spongifrom immobilization architecture of ionotropy polymer hydrogel coentrapping alcohol oxidase and horseradish peroxidase with octadecylsilica for optical biosensing alcohol in organic solvent. Analytical Chemistry. 2004;26:4279-4285.
- Yongcheng Liu, Jianghong Qian, Xiaolin Fu, Haiying Liu, Jiaqi Deng, Tongyin Yu. Immobilization of horseradish peroxidase onto a composite membrane of regenerated silk fibroin and polyvinyl alcohol and its application to a new methylene blue- mediating sensor for hydrogen peroxide. Enzyme and Microbial Technology. 1997;21:154-159.
- Zhao J. G, Henkens R. W, Crumbliss A. L. Mediator-free amperometric determination of toxic substances based on their inhibition of immobilized horseradish peroxidases. Biotechnology Progress. 1996;12:703-708.