International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology, Vol. 2, No. 1, 2017, Pages 20-26.
Preparation of an anti-corrosive coating from waste pet bottles to inhibit the corrosive effects of water
K. Sathish Kumar*, Vignesh Balasubramanian, Pranav Sivadas Menon, K. R. Rohit Narayanan
Department of Chemical Engineering, SSN College of Engineering, Chennai, Tamilnadu, India- 603110.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
It has been determined that among all types of corrosions, water corrosion is responsible for a large fraction of the total expenditure incurred in several industries. Therefore it is imperative that we minimize the ill-effects of the aforementioned corrosion. Since Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) absorbs very little water and shows good resistance towards it, it can be used to form a coating that will help protect several key equipment in industries such as boilers, pipes etc. Furthermore PET can easily be obtained from the discarded soft-drink bottles, alcoholic beverages etc. In addition to finding an effective means to combat water corrosion, the present study will also help to facilitate the overall reduction of PET waste using landfills and other waste disposal techniques. Basically the PET obtained from waste bottles is converted to Bis-2 Hydroxyethyl Terephthalate (BHET) by transesterification, followed by the synthesis of poly ethylene terephthalate-co-isophthalate .The poly ethylene terephthalate-co-isophthalate is then converted into nano form through sonication technique . Mild steel has been chosen as the substrate for this study, due to its low cost and high preference in the salt industry. Polyethylene terephthalate-co-isophthalate nanoparticles are coated onto the substrates surface and is then tested for its efficiency against 5% salt water solution using a salt spray chamber.
Keywords: Polyethylene; Terephthalate-co-Isophthalate; Anticorrosive coating; Nanoparticles; Salt spray analysis.
- Al-Fozan SA, Malik AU. Effect of seawater level on corrosion behavior of different alloys. Desalination. 2008;228(1):61-67.
- Al-Salem SM, Lettieri P, Baeyens J.Recycling and recovery routes of plastic solid waste (PSW): A review. Waste Management. 2009:29(10):2625-2643.
- Bang JH, Suslick KS. Applications of ultrasound to the synthesis of nanostructured materials. Advanced Materials. 2010;22:1039-1059.
- Claydon DA. Performance Testing of Anti-Corrosive Coatings. In SSPC Conference–November, 2002.
- Demirel B, Yaras A, Elçiçek H. Crystallization behavior of PET materials. Journal Bau Fen Bil Enst Dergisi Cilt. 2011;13:26-35.
- Fang H, Young D, Nešić S. Elemental sulfur corrosion of mild steel at high concentrations of sodium chloride, NACE International. 2009;25:2592.
- Farro NW, Veleva LP, Aguilar P. Mild Steel Marine Corrosion: Corrosion Rates in Atmospheric and Seawater Environments of a Peruvian Port. In Meeting Abstracts. 2009:645-645.
- Hung WI, Yeh JM, Chang KC, Chang YH. Advanced anticorrosive coatings prepared from polymer-clay nanocomposite materials. INTECH Open Access Publisher. 2011.
- Hu YS, Hiltner A, Baer E. Improving oxygen barrier properties of poly (ethylene terephthalate) by incorporating isophthalate. II. Effect of crystallization. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 2005;98:1629-1642.
- Li Y, Yang L. Li X, Liu J, Hou B. Corrosion behavior of sprayed Zinc-Aluminum (ZZA) coatings in simulated marine environment. Int J Electrochem Sci. 2013;8:9886-9893.
- Liu RYF, Hu YS, Hibbs MR, Collard DM, Schiraldi DA, Hiltner A, Baer E. 'Improving oxygen barrier properties of poly (ethylene terephthalate) by incorporating isophthalate. I. Effect of orientation. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 2005;98:1615-1628.
- Nagahata R, Sugiyama JI, Nakao Y, Asai M, Takeuchi K. Selective synthesis of macrocyclic ethylene isophthalate dimer. Macromolecules. 2003;36:2582-2583.
- Nagahata R, Sugiyama JI, Velmathi S, Nakao Y, Goto M, Takeuchi K. Synthesis of poly (ethylene terephthalate-co-isophthalate) by copolymerization of ethylene isophthalate cyclic dimer and bis (2-hydroxyethyl) terephthalate. Polymer Journal. 2004;36:483-488.
- Nik WW, Zulkifli F, Rahman MM, Rosliza R. Corrosion behaviour of mild steel in seawater from two different sites of Kuala Terengganu coastal area. International Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences. 2011;11:75-80.
- Pilati, Francesco Torino (IT) 'Process to prepare bis (2-hydroxyethyl) terephthalate' European Patent. 0 723 951 A1.
- Roberge PR. Corrosion engineering: principles and practice. New York: McGraw-Hill. 2008.
- Sarma H, Sarma KC. X-ray peak broadening analysis of ZnO nanoparticles derived by precipitation method. Int J Sci Res Publ. 2014;41-7.
- Sørensen PA, Kiil S, Dam-Johansen K, Weinell CE. Anticorrosive coatings: a review. Journal of Coatings Technology and Research. 2009;6:135-176.
- Ubach J, De Ilarduya AM, Quintana R, Alla A, Rudé E, Muñoz‐Guerra S. Poly (ethylene terephthalate‐co‐isophthalate) copolyesters obtained from ethylene terephthalate and isophthalate oligomers. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 2010;115:1823-1830.