International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology, Vol. 2, No. 1, 2017, Pages 8-12.
Influence of Access to Professional Development on Organizational Performance of Public Universities in Kisumu County, Kenya
Charity Osuwo1, Maria Anyango1, N. B. Okelo2,*
1School of Business and Economics, Jaramogi Oginga Odinga University of Science and Technology,
P. O. Box 210-40601, Bondo-Kenya.
2School of Mathematics and Actuarial Science, Jaramogi Oginga Odinga University of Science and Technology, P. O. Box 210-40601, Bondo-Kenya.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
All public Universities have functional human resource empowerment policies in place yet observations are that several workers in these institutions have assumed a work behaviour in which they keep shuttling between different campuses. It is therefore not clear if the human resources in these public Universities are adequately empowered to execute their roles meaningfully. This paper gives results on the influence of access to professional development as a component of human resource empowerment in public Universities in Kisumu County, Kenya and shows how adequately they have empowered their human resources with the view of achieving improved organizational performance. A Pearson’s correlation coefficient of r=0.556 was obtained showing that there is a positive relationship between access to professional development and organizational performance.
Keywords: Professional Development; Influence; Organizational performance; Human resource.
- Alusa K, Kariuki A. Human resource management practices, employee outcome and performance of Coffee Research Foundation, Kenya. European Journal of Business Management. 2015;7(3):72-79.
- Halellay A. Employee Development on a Shoe string. American Society for Training and Development Press, USA: 2012.
- Bliese PD. Within-group agreement, non independence, and reliability:Implications for data aggregation and analysis. Multilevel theory, research, and methods in organizations, San Francisco: 2000.
- Constantine D. Professional Development: Employers should take Responsibility for employee Development. The Evollution. 2012.
- Creswell J. Research design: Qualitative, quantitative and mixed methods approaches. (2nd Ed.). SAGE Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA: 2003.
- Dessler G. Human Resource Management. (11thEd). Printice Hall, New Delhi, India: 2008.
- Erasmus B, Schenk H. South African Human Resource Management: Theory and Practice. (4thEd). Juta and Company Ltd., Cape Town, SouthAfrica: 2008.
- John F. Higher Education Staff Development: A continuing Mission. Paris, France: Commonwealth Secretariat, 1998.
- Kinyanjui K. The Transformation of Higher Education in Kenya: Challenges and Opportunities. Paper Presented at the ‘Mijadala on Social Policy, Governance and Development in Kenya’ sponsored by Development Policy Management Forum. 2007.
- Kothari CR. Research Methodology: Methods and Techniques. (2ndEd.). New Age International Publishers, New Delhi, India: 2004.
- Leedy P, Ormrod J. Practical research: Planning and design. (7thEd.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill Prentice Hall. Thousand Oaks: SAGE Publications: 2001.
- Jean PM, Stanley GM. Human Resource Management. Cengage Learning, Nartop Boulevard Mason, USA: 2013.