International Journal of Modern Science and Technology, 1(9), 2016, Pages 324-328.
Implementation of High performance LEDs using drivers triggered with PWM Technique
T. D. Sudhakar, H. Prasad
Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, St. Joseph’s College of Engineering, Chennai – 600 119. India.
Light-emitting diode is a semiconductor technology whose application to general purpose lighting is rapidly growing, with significant room for energy savings. LED devices perform exceptionally well in lab conditions, proving more efficient than incandescent lights by a factor of 10. Now-a-days usage of High Brightness LED to give more Brightness and also with less power consumption is being promoted on a large scale. These LEDs overcome the existing technology like Halogen and HID. For example, the incandescent lamps are producing 12-15 lumens per watt and fluorescent bulbs are producing 40-45 lumens per watt. High Brightness LEDs are found to be efficient in saving energy than incandescent and fluorescent lamps. Another area in which Power LEDs have major potential is the product’s lifespan. By implementing suitable driver by means of converter triggered with the help of PWM pulses, one can achieve highly efficient operation of these High Brightness LEDs. This paper discusses such an implementation methodology.
Keywords: Light-emitting diode; High Brightness LEDs; Driver; Converter; Microcontroller.
- Qu X, Wong SC, Tse CK. A current balancing scheme with high luminous efficacy for high-power LED lighting. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. 2014;29:2649-2654.
- Arias M, Diaz MF, Cadierno JER, Lamar DG, Sebastian J. Digital implementation of the feed forward loop of the asymmetrical half-bridge converter for LED lighting applications. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics. 2015;3:642-653.
- Gereffi G, Lowe M et. al. LED Lighting. Centre on Globalization Governance and Competitiveness. 2008.
- Narendran N. Improved Performance white LED. Fifth International Conference on Solid State Lightning. Bellingham:2005
- Adragna C, Ferrazza F, Gritti G. The Seven Challenges of LED Lighting. PCIM Europe International Exhibition and Conference for Power Electronics, Intelligent Motion, Renewable Energy and Energy Management. 2016.
- Shailesh KR, Kini SG, Kurian CP. Summary of LED down light testing and its implications. 10th IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Systems and Control. 2016.
- Nigsch S, Marquart J, Schenk K. Low cost high density AC-DC converter for LED Lighting Applications. PCIM Europe International Exhibition and Conference for Power Electronics, Intelligent Motion, Renewable Energy and Energy Management. 2016.
- Xu R, Li Y, Zhong L, Liu J. Research of an Efficient LED Lighting Driver Based on Boost-Buck Converter. Circuits and Systems. 2014;5:153-159.
- Jiang Y, Zhang D, Yu M. A novel integrated circuit driver for LED Lighting. Circuits and Systems. 2014;5:161-169.
- Jettanasen C, Pothisarn C. Analytical study of harmonics issued from LED lamp driver. Proceedings of the International Multi Conference of Engineers and Computer Scientists. Hong Kong:2014.
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology