International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology, 1(7), 2016, Pages 250-256.
Effects of Calcination Temperature, pH and Irradiation time on Photocatalytic Activity of Pure and Doped Titanium Dioxide Nanopowders
P. Kokila1, M. Rameshbabu1, V. SenthilKumar2
1 Department of Physics, A. P. A. College of Arts and Culture, Palani – 624601. Tamilnadu. India.
2 Department of Physics, Karpagam University, Coimbatore – 641021. Tamilnadu. India.
Titanium dioxide nanopowders were fabricated by using sol-gel method process using titanium isopropoxide as a precursor, ethanol as a solvent and ferric chloride, copper chloride and pomegranate rind extract (PRE) as dopants. The formation mechanism was investigated by scanning electron microscopy (SEM) in which the shape control is influenced by pH under acidic range. The effect of calcination temperature, pH on the phase structure and photocatalytic activity of pure and doped TiO2 were investigated using X-ray diffraction (XRD) results indicates that the phase transformation of anatase tetragonal crystal structure of TiO2 occurs at 400°C and the calcined samples shows crystallinity with (101) preferred orientation, which the higher crystallinity shows better transmittance. Also the doped samples exhibit highest photocatalytic activity due to the good crystallization and the photo degradation degree for organic compounds increase with decreasing the pH value and due to the effects of pH and irradiation time.
Keywords: Titanium dioxide; X-ray diffraction; Photodegradation; Irradiation time.
- Ninsonti H, Sangsrichan S, Kangwansupamonkon W, Phanichpant S, Pookmanee P. Hydrothermal synthesis of Titanium dioxide (TiO2) micropowder. Journal of Microscopy Society of Thailand 23 (2009) 91-94.
- Fijushima A, Rao TN, Tryk DA. Titanium dioxide photocatalysis. J Photochem photobiol C Photochem Rev 1 (2000) 11-21.
- Zulkarnain Z, Yong LC. Properties of sol-gel derived TiO2 thin films prepared with different dip-coating layers. Materials Science 11 (2005) 97-101.
- Ion C. Halalay, Michael P and Balogh, Sonochemical method for producing Titanium metal powder. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry 15 (2008) 684-688.
- Yanga K, Zhua J, Zhub J, Huanga S, Zhua X, Maa G. Sonochemical synthesis and microstructural investigation of rod like nanocrystalline rutile titania. Materials Lett 57(2003) 4639-4642.
- Maness PC, Smolinski S, Blake DM, Huang Z, Wolfrum EJ et al. Bacterial activity of photocatalytic TiO2 reactions toward an understanding of its killing mechanism. Appl Environ Microbiol 65 (1999) 4094-4098.
- Iwasaki M, Hara M, Kawada H, Tada H and Ito S, Cobalt ion dopedTiO2 photocatalyst response to visible light. J Colloid In Sci 224 (2000) 202-204.
- Asahi R, Morikawa T, Ohwaki T,Akoki Kand Taga Y, Visible light photocatalysis in nitrogrn doped titanium oxides. Science 293 (2001) 269-271.
- Ohno T, Sarukawa T and Matsumura M, Controlling the morphology of TiO2 nanocrystals with different capping agents. J Phys Chem B 105 (2001) 2417-2420.
- Wong MS, Chu WC, Sun DS. Huang HS and Chen JH, et al. Dual roles of capsular extracellular polymeric substrates in photocatalytic inactivation of E. coli. Appl Environ Microbial 72 (2006) 6111-6116.
- Li Q, Xie R, Li YW, Mintz EA and Shang JK, Preparation and antibacterial activities of undoped and palladium doped nanoparticles. Environ Sci Technol 41 (2007) 5050-5056.
- Yu JC, Ho W, Yu J, Yip H and Wong PK, et al. Efficient visible light photocatalytic oxidation of NO on F and N co doped spherical synthesis via ultrasonic spray pyrolysis. Environ Sci Technol 39 (2005) 1175-1179.
- McDonnell G and Russell AD, Antiseptics and disinfectants: activity, action and resistance. Clin Microbial 12 (1999) 147-179.
- Juhaina Jasim Mohamed Al-Farsi, Dinesh Keloth, Elansezhian Rasu, Synthesis of activated carbon using orange and lemon peel for wastewater treatment application. International Journal of Modern Science and Technology 1 (2016) 178-182.
- Mutahar S. Shiban , Mutlag M. Al-Otaibi, Najeeb S. Al-Zoreky, Antioxidant activity of pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) fruit peels. Food and Nutrition Sciences 3 (2012) 991-996.
- Zep L, Faust B, Hoigne J. Hydroxyl radical formation in aqueous reactions (pH 3-8) of iron (II) with hydrogen peroxide: the photo-fenton reaction. Environ Sci Technol 26 (1992) 313-319.
- Safarzadeh Amiri A, Bolton J and Cater S. Ferrioxalate-mediated solar degradation of organic contaminants in water. Solar Energy 56 (1996) 439-443.
- Kokila P, Senthilkumar V, Premnazeer K. Preparation and photocatalytic activity of Fe- doped Titanium dioxide nanoparticles. Archives of Physics Research 2(1) (2011) 246-253.
- Martin ST, Herrmann H, Choi NY, Hoffman MR. Time-resolved microwave conductivity. Part 2. Quantum-sized TiO2 and the effect of adsorbates and light intensity on charge-carrier dynamics. Journal of Chemical Society-Faraday transactions 90 (1994) 3323-3330.
- Mardare D. Optical constants of heat-treated TiO2 thin films. Materials Science Eng 95 (2002) 83-87.
- Hasan MM, Habeeb ASMA, SaidurR and Masjuk HH. Effects of annealing treatment on optical properties of anatase TiO2 thin films. International Journal of Mechanical, Aerospace, Industrial, Mechatronic and Manufacturing Engineering 2 (2008) 410-414.
- Kim DJ, Hahn SH, Oh SH, Kim EJ. Influence of calcinations temperatures on structural and optical properties of TiO2 thin films by sol-gel dipcoating. Mater Lett 57 (2000) 355-360.
- Sugimoto T, Xing Ping Zhou XP, Muramatsu A. Synthesis of uniform anatase TiO2 nanoparticles by sol-gel method, a shape control. J of colloid and interface science 259 (2003) 53-61.
- Yamashita H, Harada M, Misaka J et al. Application of ion beam techniques for preparation of metal ion-implanted TiO2 thin film photocatalyst available under visible light irradiation: Metal ion-implantation and ionized cluster beam method. J Synchrotron Rad 8(2001) 569-571.
- Kun R, Mogyorosi K, Dekany I. Synthesis, structural and photocatalytical properties of TiO2 nanocomposites. Applied Clay Science 32 (2006) 99-110.
- Xin B, Ren Z, Wang P et al. Study on mechanisms of photoinduced carrier separation and recombination for Fe3+ - TiO2 photocatalysts. App Surf Sci 253 (2007) 4390-4395.
- Zhou J, Zhang Y, Zhao XS, Ajay K. Photodegradation of benzoic acid over metal-doped TiO2. Ind Eng Chem Res 45 (2006) 3503-5311.
- Yu J, Zhao X,Zhao Q, Photocatalytic activity of nanometer TiO2 thin films prepared by the sol-gel method. Mater Chem Phys 69(2001) 25-29.
- Sarmah S and Kumar A. photocatalytic activity of polyaniline-TiO2 nanocomposites. Indian J Phys 85 (2011) 713-726.
- Zaleska A. Doped-TiO2: A review. Recent patents on engineering 2 (2008) 157-164.
- Yu JC, Yu J, HO W, Jiang Z, Zhang L. Effects of F doping on the photocatalytic activity and microstructures of nanocrystalline TiO2 powders. Chem Mater 14 (2002) 3808-3816.
- Sonawane Rs, Kale BB, Dongare MK. Preparation and photocatalytic activity of fe-TiO2 thin films prepared by sol-gel dip coating. Mater Chem Phys 85(2004) 52-57.
- Matthews RW, Mc Evoy SR. Photocatalytic degradation of phenol in the presence of near-uv illuminated titanimdioxide. J Photochem Photobiol A Chem 64 (1992) 231-246.
- Emerson HF, Alex LM, Edardo JN, Katia JC, Paulo SC. Sol-gel TiO2 thin films sensitized with the mulberry pigment cyaniding. Materials Research 10 (2007) 413-417.
- Hokyong S, Sherub P, Yousef O, Dong L et al. Visible light responsive titanium dioxide. J Korean Ind Chem 19 (2008) 1-16.
- Aviram, Pomegranate juice as a major source for polyphenolic flavonoids and its most potent antioxidant against LDL oxidation and atherosclerosis. Free Radicals research 36(1) (2002)71-72.
- Murthy KNC, Jayaprakaha GK, Saogh RP. Studies on antioxidant activity of pomegranate extract using in vivo models. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 50 (17) (2002) 4791-4795.