International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology, 1(6), 2016, Pages 213-217.
Effect of surfactant on the synthesis and characterization of ZnO nanoparticles and its photocatalytic activity
R. Bomila, S. Srinivasan
Department of Physics, Presidency College, Chennai -600005. India.
ZnO nanoparticles were prepared via wet-chemical method in methanol / octylamine / zinc acetate as starting materials. To prepared sample was subjected to structural morphology elemental, optical properties were characterized by X-ray diffraction, UV-Vis spectroscopy, High resolution - Scanning electron microscopy. The photocatalytic activities were evaluated by the degradation of Methyl Orange dye under sun irradiation. The individual effect of photocatalytic activity of pure and surfactant influenced ZnO nanoparticles were done in degradation of organic pollution.
Keywords: ZnO nanoparticles; Octylamine; Structural, Optical properties; Photocatalytic activity.
- Becker J, Raghupathi KR, Pierre JS, Dan Zhao D, Ranjit TK. Tuning of the crystallite and particle sizes of ZnO nanocrystalline materials in solvothermal synthesis and their photocatalytic activity for dye degradation. J Phys Chem C 115 (2011) 13844-13850.
- Xu F, Zhang P, Navrotsky A, Yuan ZY, Ren TZ, Halasa M, Su BL. Hierarchically Assembled porous ZnO nanoparticles: synthesis, surface energy, and photoacatalytic activity. Chem Mater 19 (2007) 5680-5686.
- Salem IA, El-Maazawi MS. Kinetics and mechanism of color removal of methylene blue with hydrogen peroxide catalyzed by some supported alumina surfaces. Chemosphere 41 (2000) 1173-1180.
- Poulios I, Micropoulou E, Panou R, Kostopoulou E. Photo oxidation of eosinY in the presence of semiconducting oxide. Applied Catalysis B 41 (2003) 345-355.
- Lizama C, Freer J, Baeza J, Mansilla HD. Optimized photodegradation of Reactive Blue 19 On TiO2 and ZnO suspensions. Catalysis Today 76 (2002) 235-246.
- Yu J, Zhang L, Cheng B, Su Y. Hydrothermal preparation and photocatalytic activity of hierarchically sponge-like macro-/mesoporous titania. J Phys Chem C 111 (2007) 10582-1058.
- Jing L, Wang D, Wang B, Li S, Xin B, Fu H, Sun J. Effects of noble metal modification on surface oxygen composition, charge separation and photocatalytic activity of ZnO nanoparticles. J Mol Catal A 244 (2006) 193-200.
- Yu J, Liu S, Yu H. Microstructures and photoactivity of mesoporous anatase hollow microspheres fabricated by fluoride-mediated self-transformation. J Catal 249(2007)59-66.
- Liqiang J, Dejun W, Baiqi W, Shudan L, Baifu X, Hongganga F, Jiazhong S. Effects of noble metal modification on surface oxygen composition, charge separation and photocatalytic activity of ZnO nanoparticles. J Mol Catal A 244 (2006) 193-200.
- Behnajady MA, Modirshahla N, Shokri M, Zeininezhad A, Zamani HA. Enhancement photocatalytic activity of ZnO nanoparticles by silver doping with optimization of photodeposition method parameters, J Env Sci Hea 44(2009)666-672.
- Pant B, Pant HR, Barakat NAM, Park M, Jeon K, Choi Y, Kim HY. Carbon nanofibers decorated with binary semiconductor (TiO2/ZnO) nanocomposites for the effective removal of organic pollutants and the enhancement of antibacterial activities. Cer Inter 39 (2013) 7029-7035.
- Ye C, Bando Y, Shen G, Golberg D. Thickness-dependent photocatalytic performance of ZnO nanoplatelets. J Phys Chem B 110 (2006) 15146-15151.
- Li Y, Li X, Yang C, Li Y. Ligand-controlling synthesis and ordered assembly of ZnS nanorods and nanodots. J Phys Chem B 108 (2004) 16002-16011.
- John Becker,Krishna Reddy Raghupathi,Jordan St.Pierre,Dan Zhao, T.Ranjit,Koodali. Tuning of the crystallite and particle sizes of ZnO nanocrystalline materials in solvothermal synthesis and their photocatalytic activity for dye degradation. J Phys Chem C 115 (2011) 13844-13850.
- Jayakumar OD, Salunke HG, Kadam RM, Mohapatra M, Yaswant G, Kulshreshtha SK. Magnetism in Mn-doped ZnO nanoparticles prepared by a
co-precipitation method. Nanotechnology 17 (2006) 1278-1285.
- Kumar SS, Venkateswarlu P, Rao VR, Rao GN. Synthesis, characterization and optical properties of zinc oxide nanoparticles. International Nano Letters 3 (2013) 30.
- Priya M, Elumalai M, Kiruthika S, Muthukumaran B. Influences of supporting materials for Pt-Ru binary catalyst in ethanol fuel cell. Int J Mod Sci Technol 1(2016)5-11.
- Sridevi D, Raj. KV. Synthesis and optical characteristics of ZnO nanoparticles. Bull Mater Sci 32 (2009) 165-168.
- Saaedi A, Yousefi R, Sheini FJ, Cheraghizade M, Zak K, Huang NM. Optical properties of group-I- doped ZnO nanowries. Cer Inter l 40 (2014) 4327-4332.
- Wahab R Hwang IH, Kim YS, Musarrat J, Siddiqui MA, Seo HK, Tripathy SK, Shin HS. Non-hydrolytic synthesis and photo-catalytic studies of ZnO nanoparticles. Chem Eng J 175 (2011) 450-457.