International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology, 1(5), 2016, Pages 183-192.
Augmentation of Antimicrobial Behaviour of Silver Nanoparticles usingalpha-Cyclodextrin as Encapping Agent
S. Lizy Roselet, J. PremaKumari
Department of Chemistry and Research Centre, Scott Christian College (Autonomous), Nagercoil-629003. India..
This work reports a simple, novel, cost effective and eco-friendly synthesis of silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) using a-cyclodextrin as the reducing agent. Here a-cyclodextrin act as reducing agent as well as capping agent. This involves synthesis of silver nanoparticles by capping with different concentrations of a-cyclodextrin. The synthesized nanoparticles were characterized using Ultraviolet Visible spectroscopy (UV-VIS), X-ray Diffraction studies (XRD), Fourier Transform Infra Red (FT-IR) Spectroscopy and Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM). UV-VIS Spectroscopy and X-ray diffraction studies confirmed the formation of nanoparticles. FT-IR Spectroscopy confirmed the binding of a-cyclodextrin to the AgNPs. Transmission electron microscopic studies also reveal the existence of spherical shaped particles of nano dimension. Antibacterial and antifungal activities of uncapped and capped AgNPs were investigated. It was found that capped AgNPs exhibited more antibacterial activity and antifungal activity when compared to the uncapped one. The capping with a-cyclodextrin showed much pronounced enhancement in antibacterial and antifungal behaviour in silver nanoparticles. a-cyclodextrin encapsulated AgNPs ensures its potential ability as an antimicrobial agent for therapeutic purposes as well as for antimicrobial coating materials.
Keywords: Silver nanoparticles; a-Cyclodextrin; Capping agent; Antibacterial activity; Antifungal activity.
- Gianluigi F, Annarita F, Stefania G, Luciana P, Mahendra R, Giancarlo M, Massimiliano G. Silver Nanoparticles as potential antibacterial agents. Molecules 20 (2015) 8856-8874.
- Rai MK, Deshmukh SD, Ingle AP, Gade AK. Silver nanoparticles: The powerful nanoweapon against multidrug-resistant bacteria. J Appl Microbiol 112 (2012) 841-852.
- Jana S, Pal T. Synthesis, characterization and catalytic application of silver nanoshell coated functionalized polystyrene beads. J Nanosci Nanotechnol 7 (2007) 2151-2156.
- Stiufiuc R, Iacovita C, Lucaciu CM, Stiufiuc G, Dutu AG, Braescu C, Leopold N. SERS active silver colloids prepared by reduction of silver nitrate with short-chain polyethylene glycol. Nanoscale Res Let 8 (2013) 47.
- Szmacinski H, Lakowicz JR, Catchmark JM, Eid K, Anderson JP, Middendorf L. Correlation between scattering properties of silver particle arrays and fluorescence enhancement. Appl Spectrosc 62 (2008) 733-738.
- Jose LM, Kuriakose S, Mathew T. Bovin serum albumin stabilized silver nanoparticles: Synthesis, characterization and antifungal studies IOSR-Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences, 10(3) (2015) 19-25
- Ahamed M, Alsalhi MS, Siddiqui MK. Silver nanoparticles application and human health. Clin Chem Acta 411 (2010) 1841-1848.
- Raffi M, Hussain F, Bhatti TM, Akhter JI, Hameed A, Hasan MM. Antibacterial characterization of silver nanoparticles against E. coli ATCC-15224. J Mater Sci Technol 24 (2008) 192-196.
- Tran QH, Nguyen VQ, Le A. Silver nanoparticles: synthesis, properties, toxicology, applications and perspectives. Adv Nat Sci Nanosci Nanotechnol 4 (2013) 033001.
- Dallas P, Sharma VK, Zboril R. Silver polymeric nanocomposites as advanced antimicrobial agents: classification, synthetic paths, applications, and perspectives. Adv Colloid Interface Sci 166 (2011) 119-135.
- Sathiya Priya R, Geetha D, Ramesh PS. Antibacterial activity of nano-silver capped by β-Cyclodextrin. Carbon Sci Tech 5 (2013) 197-202.
- Feng QL, Wu J, Chen GQ, Cui FZ, Kim TN, Kim JO. A mechanistic study of the antibacterial effect of silver ions on Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus. J Biomed Mater Res 52 (2000) 662-668.
- Stobie N, Duffy B, McCormack DE, Colreavy J, Hidalgo M, McHale P, Hinder SJ. Prevention of Staphylococcus epidermidis biofilm formation using a low-temperature processed silver-doped phenyltriethoxysilane sol–gel coating. Biomaterials 29 (2008) 963-969.
- Jing AN, Wang D, Yuan X. Synthesis of stable silver nanoparticles with antimicrobial activities in room-temperature ionic liquids. Chem Res Chinese Universities 25(4) (2009) 421- 425.
- Hao R, Yuan JY, Peng Q. Fabrication and sensing behaviour of Cr2O3 nanofibers via insitu gelation and electrospinning. Chem Lett 35 (2006) 1248-1249.
- Guzmán MG, Dille J, Godet S. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles by chemical reduction method and their antibacterial activity. International Journal of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering 2:3 (2009) 104-111.
- George C, Kuriakose S, George S, Mathew T. Antifungal activity of silver nanoparticle-encapsulated -cyclodextrin against human opportunistic pathogens. Supramolecular Chemistry 23 (2011) 593-597.
- Rekharsky MV, Inoue Y. Complexation thermodynamics of cyclodextrins. Chem Rev 98 (1998) 1875-1918.
- Bauer AW, Kirby WM, Sherris JC, Turck M. Antibiotic Susceptibility testing by a Standardized Single disc method. Am J Clin Pathol 45 (1966) 493-496.
- Pushpa RG, Annaselvi AG, Subramaniam P. Synthesis and characterization of β-cyclodextrin capped silver nanoparticles. International Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures 3 (2013) 26-30.
- Mukherjee P, Ahmad A, Mandal D, Senapati S, Sainkar SR, Khan MI. Fungus-mediated synthesis of silver nanoparticles and their immobilization in the mycelial matrix: a novel biological approach to nanoparticle synthesis. Nano Lett 1 (2001) 515-519.
- Mukherjee V, Senapati S, Mandal D, Ahmad A, Khan MI, Kumar R, Sastry M. Extracellular synthesis of gold nanoparticles by the fungus Fusarium oxysporum Chem Biochem 3 (2002) 461-463.
- Gonzalo J, Serna R, Sol J, Babonneau D, Afonso CN. Morphological and interaction effects on the surface plasmon resonance of metal nanoparticles. J Phys Condens Matter 15 (2003) 3001-3002
- Guzmán MG, Dille J, Godet S. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles by chemical reduction method and their antibacterial activity. International Journal of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering 2 (2009) 104-111.
- Cortes ME, Sinisterra RD, Campos MJA, Tortamano N, Rocha RG. The Chlorhexidine cyclodextrin inclusion compounds preparation, characterization and microbiological evaluation. J Incl Phenom Macrocyclic Chem. 40 (2001) 297-302.
- Cruz LAC, Perez CAM, Romero HAM. Synthesis of magnetite nanoparticle β-cyclodextrin complex. J Alloys and Compounds 466 (2008) 330-334.
- Pal S, Tak JM, Song YK. Does the antibacterial activity of silver nanoparticles depends on the shape of the nanoparticles? A study of the gram negative bacterium Escherchia coli. Appl Environ Microbiol 73 (2007) 1712-1720..