International Journal of Modern Science and Technology, 1(5), 2016, Pages 164-172.
Design and Hardware Implementation of Current Controlled Integrated Double Buck Boost Converter for LED Driver Circuit
S. Ananda Balaji, T. D. Sudhakar
Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering,St. Joseph’s College of Engineering, Chennai – 600 119. India.
This paper introduces a light emitting diode (LED) driver circuit with current controlled integrated double buck boost converter. In a LED, small change in forward voltage can produce a disproportional large change in forward current, which in turn can cause variation in light output, as LED light output is proportional to current and is rated for current range. If nothing limits the current, the junction will fail due to the heat, which leads to thermal runaway. By driving LED light sources with a constant-current power supply the light output variation and life span issues resulting from voltage changes can be eliminated. This paper discusses about the converter operation and closed loop simulation in detail. From the designed values MATLAB simulation is done. The hardware design is focused on pulse generation circuit for converter. A microcontroller from microchip family PIC16F877A is used to implement controller design. The output voltage is taken as feedback to control the PWM pulses to maintain optimal current in LED.
Keywords: Double Buck-Boost; PID Controller; Constant Current; Power LED Lamps.
- Schubert EF. Light-Emitting Diodes, 2nd ed. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK 2006.
- Qu X, Wong SC, Tse CK. No cascading structure for electronic ballast design for multiple led lamps with independent brightness control. IEEE Trans Power Electron 25 (2010) 331-340.
- Fang Y, Wong SH, Hok-Sun Ling L. A power converter with pulse-level-modulation control for driving high brightness LEDs. Proc 24th Annual IEEE APEC (2009) 577-581.
- Nutall DR, Shuttle worth R, Routledge G. Design of a LED street lighting system. Proc 4th IET Conf PEMD (2008) 436-440.
- Hu Q, Zane R. LED driver circuit with series input-connected converter cells operating in continuous conduction mode. IEEE Trans Power Electron 25 (2010) 574-582.
- Ambily K, Rabiya R. Simulation of a two stage high power factor driver for white power LED. International Journal of Modern Engineering Research 4 (2014) 38-51.
- Fu PT, Jen CH, Jen CS, Yen CS. An improved single-stage flyback pfc converter for high-luminance lighting LED lamps. Proceedings of International Conference on Electronic Measurement and Instruments (2007) 212-215.
- Marcos Alonso J Viña J, Vaquero DG, Martínez G, Osorio R. Analysis and design of the integrated double buck–boost converter as a high power-factor driver for power-LED lamps. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 59 (2012) 1689-1697.
- Rashid H. Ed., Power Electronics Handbook. Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands: 2007.
- Khampariya PK, Khan A, Mahore A. The design and implementation of a single phase power factor correction circuit. International Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology 3 (2012) 204-209.
- Gacio D, Alonso JM, Calleja AJ, Garcia J, Rico-Secades M. A universal-input single-stage high power-factor power supply for HB-LEDs based on integrated buck-flyback converter. IEEE Trans Ind Electron 58 (2011) 589-599.
- Qin YX, Hui SYR. Comparative study on the structural designs of LED devices and systems based on the general photo-electro thermal theory. IEEE Trans Power Electron 25 (2010) 507-513.
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology