International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology, 1(2), 2016, Pages 69-79.
Assessment of water quality along the coast of Arabian Sea
S.P.R. Kalaikathir1, S. Begila David2
1Department of Chemistry, Womens’ Christian College, Nagercoil – 629 001. India.
2PG and Research Centre in Chemistry, Scott Christian College (Autonomous), Nagercoil – 629 003. India.
The present work was focused on the spatial and temporal variations of the coastal water quality from six shores along southwest coastline in Arabian sea in Kanyakumari District,Tamilnadu, India. The surface temperature was found varied from 21.2°C to 28.1°C, pH was varied from 7.66 to 8.9, conductivity, TDS, DO, CO2, Alkalinity and nitrate remains almost same in all places in a particular season. Turbidity was ranged between 2 NTU to 11 NTU and maximum in Kanyakumari in all seasons. The observed DO was above 5 mg/l. Minimum BOD was observed in the present study. Carbon dioxide was found varied from 8 ppm to 25 ppm. Total alkalinity values lie within the maximum permissible limit. Both gross alpha and gross beta count were maximum in Muttom coastal water. Nutrient nitrate varied from 2 g/l to 4 g/l. Phosphate was much higher in Muttom in summer season. Sulphate was higher in Kanyakumari and Thengapattanam coast which indicates anthropogenically affected water quality.
Keywords: Coastal water; Alkalinity; Turbidity; Spatial and temporal variation.
- Al-Masri MS, Saatial and monthly variations of radium isotops in produced water during oil production. Applied radiation and isotopes 64 (2006) 615.
- Anitha G, Sugirtha PK. Physicochemical characterization of water and sediment in tengapattanam estuary, southwest coastal zone, Tamilnadu, India. International Journal of Environmental sciences 4(3) (2013) 205.
- APHA. Standard Methods for the Examinations of Water and Wastewater, 19th edition, American Public Health Association, Washington DC, USA (1995).
- Archer D. Fate of fossil fuel CO2 in geologic time, J Geophys Res 110 (2005) C09S05.
- Balonov MI. Doses to members of the general public and observed effects on biota:Chernobly forum update, J Environ Radioact 96 (2007) 13-19.
- Banse KJ. On upwelling and bottom-trawling off the southwest coast of India, Journal of the Marine Biological Association of India 1 (1959) 33-49.
- Boyd CE. The relationship between some physicochemical parameters and plankton composition on fish production in ponds, Craftmaster Printer, Inc, Opelika, Alabama (1981).
- Caldeira K, Wickett ME. Oceanography: Anthropogenic carbon and ocean pH, Nature 425 (2003) 365.
- Clair N, Sawyer, Perry Lmc Carty, Gene F Parkin. Chemistry for Environmental Engineering, Forth edition (Mc Graw-Hill International editions), 1994.
- Damotharan P, Perumal, NV, Perumal P. Seasonal variation of physic-chemical characteristics in point calamari coastal waters (south east coast of India middle-east), Journal of Scientific Research 6 (2010) 333-339.
- Das SK, Chand BK. Limnological and biodiversity of lchthyofauna in a pond of southern Orissa, Indian J Ecotoxical Environ Monit 13 (2003) 97-102.
- Divya Tiwari, Rakhi Bajpal, Poll Res 31(3) (2012) 377.
- Efe ST, African J Environ Stud 2001 2(2) 6.
- Faragallah HM, Askar AI, Okbah MA Moustafa H M. Physico-chemical characteristics of the opoen Mediterranean sea water far about 60 Km from Damietta harbor, Egypt, J Ecol The Nat Environ 2009 1(5) 106.
- Govindasamy C, Kannan L, Azariah J. Seasonal variation in physic chemical properties and primary production in the coastal water biotopes of Coromandel coast, India J Environ Biol 21 (2000) 1-7.
- Grasshoff K, Ehrhardt M, Kremling K, Methods of sea water analysis (2nd Edn.), Verlag Chemie Weinheim 1983.
- Grasshoff K, Ehrhardt M, Krembling K. Methods of seawater analysis, 3rd edition, Verlag Chemie Weinheim Germany 1999.
- Hallale SN, Allapure RB. Seasonal variation in physic chemical parameters of domestic sewage of Udgir, Maharashtra, India, International pollution Research 31 (2012) 401-402.
- Hansson S, Rudstam LG. Eutropication and Baltic fish communities, Ambio 19 (1990) 123-125
- Hopkinson CS. Shallo- water benthic and pelagic metabolism:evidence of heterotrophy in the nearshore Georgia bight. Marine Biology 87 (1985) 19.
- Jayaraman R, Ramamirtham CP, Sundararaman KV. The vertical distribution of dissolved oxygen in the deeper waters of the Arabian sea in the neighbourhood of the laccadives during the summer of 1959, J Mar Biol Ass India1959 1(2) 206.
- Jenila GJ, Madhusoodanan P, Radhakrishnan N. Poll Res 31 (2012) 31(3) 387.
- Jennings S, Pinnegar JK, Polunin NVC, Warr KS. Impacts of trawling disturbance on the trophic structure of benthic invertebrate communities. Mar Ecol Prog Ser 2001 213 127.
- Jingsui Huang., Testing and Analyzing Surface Water Quality of Yue-Guan Canal in Yueqing, China 2013.
- Kalaiarasi M, Paul P, Lathasumathi C, Stella C. Seasonal variations in the physica-chemical characteristics of the two coastel waters of palk-strait in tamilnadu, India. Global Journal of Environmental Research 6(2) (2012) 66.
- Kataria HC, Iqbal SA, Shandilya AK. Limno-chemical studies of tawa reservoir, Indian Journal of Environmental Protection 16 (1996) 841.
- KempWM, Sampou P, Caffrey J, Mayer M. Ammonium recycling versus denitrification in Chesapeake bay sediments, Oceanogr 35 (1990) 1545.
- Kennish M J. Pollution Impacts on Marine Biotic Communities, CRC Press, Florida, USA: 310 (1997).
- Krishnamurthy R. Hydro-biological studies of wohar reservoir Aurangabad India. Journal of Environmental Biology 11(3) (1990) 335.
- Liljana M. Radioactive contamination of surface waters from a fly-ash depository at velenje (Slovenia), Environment International 22 (1996) S339-349.
- Michael P. Ecological Methods for Field and Laboratory Investigations. Tata Mc-Graw-Hill publishing company Limited, New Delhi 1984.
- Misra S, Kundu R. Seasonal variations on population dynamics of key intertidal molluscs at two contrasting locations, Aqua Ecol 39 (2005) 315-324.
- Morrissette DG, Mavinic DS. BOD Test Variables, Journal of Environment Engg Division, EP, 6 (1978) 1213-1212.
- Moss B. Studies on Gull Lake, Fresh Water Biology 2 (1972) 309.
- Nair PVR, Samuel S, Joseph K, Balachandran VK. ICAR Special publication, CMFRI, Cochin (1973) 184.
- Nixon SW. Physical energy inputs and the comparative ecology of lake and marine ecosystems, Oceanogr 33 (1988) 1005.
- Pankajakshan T, Ramaraja DV. In: Contributions in marine sciences. NIO. Goa, India (1987)
- Patil PN, Sawant DV, Deshmukh RN. International J Env Sci 3 (2012) 1194.
- Premlata Vikal. Multivariant analysis of drinking water quality parameters of lake Biological Forum, Biological Fourn, An International Journal 1(2) (2009) 97.
- Raghunathan C, Sen Gupt , Wangikar U, Lakhmapurkar, J Curr Sci 87(8) (2004)1131.
- Rajasegar M, Srinivasan M, Ajmal Khan S, Indian journal of marine sciences 31(2) (2002) 153.
- Rao R R, A case study on the influence of summer manson vortex on the thermal structure of the upper central arabial sea during onset phase of MONEX-79, Deep Sea Res 3(12) (1984) 1511.
- Reid GK. Ecology of inland waters and estuaries. New York: Reinhold publishing corporation (1961) 375.
- Rosenberg R, Elmgren R, Fleischer S, Jonsson P, Persson G, Dahlin H. Interannual variations of the amount of herring in relation to plankton biomass and activity, temperature and cloud coverage in the Baltic sea, 2000. ICES CM 2000/M:16, Ambio 19 (1990) 102.
- Senthil Kumar S, Santhanam P, Perumal P, In: Proc. 5th Indian Fisheries Forum, Published by AFSIB, Mangalore and Aca, Bhubaneswar, India (2002) 245.
- Sharma G, John RV. RV. Study of Physico chemical parameters of waste water from dyeing units in Agra city, Pollu Res. 28 (2009) 439-442.
- Sheathe JO, Kazama F. Assessment of surface water quality using multivariate statistical techniques: A case study of the Fuji river basin, Japan, Environ Model Software 22 (2007) 464.
- Shephered J, Bromage N, Intensive fish farming, (Oxford Blackwell Scientific Publication, London) (1992).
- Simon FX, PenruY, Guastalli AR, Llorens J, Baig S. Improvement of the analysis of the biochemical oxygen demand of Mediterranean seawater by seeding control, Talanta 85 (2011) 527-532.
- Smayda TJ. A platform of ocean, Nature 358 (1992) 374.
- Smith SV, Hollibaugh JT. Annual cycle and interannual variability of ecosystem metabolism in a temperature climate embayment, Ecology Monographs 67 (1997) 509.
- Sreenivasan A. Transformation through primary productivity and fish production in some tropical fresh water, impoundments and pond, In:IBP sumposium, Kazimerz Dohjry (1970) 6-12.
- Sujitha C, Mitra Dev D, Sowmya PK, Mini Priya R. Physico chemical parameters of karamana river water in Trivandrum district, kerala, india. International Journal of Environmental Science 2(2) (2011) 472.
- Sukumaran M, Muthukumaravel K, Sivakami R, Asia Pacific Journal of Research, 2(8) (2013) 108.
- Sundaramanickam A, Shivkumar T, Kumaran R, Ammaiappan V, Velappam R. A comparative study of Physico-chemical investigation along Parangipettai and Cuddalore coast, J Environ Sci Tech 1 (2008) 1-10
- Takahashi T, Sutherland SC, Sweeney C. Carbon and neutral flex in continental margins: A Global synthesis, Deep Sea Res 49 (2002) 1601.Trivedi RK, Goel PK. Chemical and Biological Methods for Water pollution studies, Environmental Publications, Karad, India, 1984.