International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology, 1(2), 2016, Pages 64-68.
Invitro studies on anticancer activity of combined ethanolic extract of date seed and custard apple seed
E. Raja Sathendra1, R. Praveen Kumar1, B. Bharathiraja2,S. Chozhavendhan1, S. Suresh Kumar3
1Department of Biotechnology, Anna Bio Research Foundation, Arunai Engineering College, Tiruvannamalai, India.
2Vel Tech High Tech Dr.Rangarajan Dr.Sakunthala Engineering College, Chennai, India.
3Department of Chemical Engineering, Wachemo University, Ethiopia.
Function against the cancerous cell by surgical or non surgical method is known as anticancer activity. Surgical method causes some dangerous side effect and it may not cure fully. Non surgical methods, especially herbal based treatment is better than radio therapy. In the present article, date seed and custard apple seed compounds were evaluated for in vitro anticancer activity with A549 human lung cancer cell line. The date seed and custard apple seed are extracted after shade dry and electrically ground. The IC50value of date seed and custard apple seed extract compounds were 31.2 µg/ml. The compounds in date seed and custard apple seed were identified by Gas Chromatography with Mass Spectroscopy.
Keywords: Date seed; Apple seed; Anticancer activity; A549 human lung cancer cell line.
- Adam M, Patrycja T, Emilia S. Antioxidant activity of herb extracts from five medicinal plant from lamiacease, subfamily lamioideae, Journal of medicinal plants research 2 (2008) 321-330.
- Bhuvan PR, Taxal GS, Jignesh DP, Bhavik AP, Rajesh KP, Maulik PS. Potent anticancer activity of Nigella sativa seeds, Archives of Applied Science Research 2 (2010) 52-56.
- Chitra S, Patil MB, Kumar R, Antibacterial and Wound Healing Activity of the Leaves of Annona squamosa Linn. (Annonaceae), Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, 1 (2009) 44-50.
- Habib HM, Ibrahim WH, “Effect of date seed on oxidative damage and antioxidant status invivo, J Sci Food Agric. 91 (2011) 1674-1679.
- Hertog MG, Feskens EJ, Hollman PC, Katan MB, Kromhout D. Dietary antioxidant flavonoids and risk of coronary heart disease: the Zutphen Elderly Study, Lancet 342 (1993) 1007-1011.
- Hertog MGL, Kromhout D, Aravanis C, Black-burn H, Buzina R, Fidanza F, Giampaoli S, Jansen A, Menotti A, Nedeljkovic S et al., Flavonoid intake and long-term risk of coro-nary heart disease and cancer in the seven countries study, Archive International Medicine 155 (1995) 381-386.
- Jonsson E, Fridborg H, Csoka K, Dhar S, Sundstrom C, Nygren P, Larsson R. Cytotoxic activity of topotecan in human tumor cell lines and primary cultures of human tumor cells from patients, Brazilian Journal of Cancer 76 (1997) 211-219.
- Mohamed Saleem TS, Christina AJM, Chidambaranathan N, Ravi V, Gauthaman K. Hepatoprotective activity of Annona squamosa Linn. On experimental animal model, International Journal of Applied Research in Natural Products 1 (2008) 1-7.
- Pardhasaradhi BV, Reddy M, Ali AM, Kumari AL, Khar A. Antitumour activity of Annona squamosa seed extracts is through the generation of free radicals and induction of apoptosis, Indian Journal of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 41 (2004) 167-172.
- Rajasekar S. Pharmacognosy and Pharmacology of Annona Squamosa: A Review, International Journal o f Pharmacy and Life Sciences, 2 (2011) 1183-1189.
- Ramesa SB, Sooad A. Antibacterial properties of different cultivars of Phoenix dactylifera L and their corresponding protein content, Annals of Biological Research. 10 (2012) 4751-4757.
- Saad B, Dakwar S, Said O, Abu-Hijleh G, Al Battah F, Kmeel A, Aziazeh H. Evaluation of medicinal plant hepatotoxicity in co-culture of hepatocytes and monocytes, Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 3 (2006) 93-98.
- Sieuwerts AM, Klijn JGM, Peters HA, Foekens JA. The MTT tetrazolium salt assay scrutinized: How to use this assay reliably to measure metabolic activity of cell cultures in vitro for the assessment of growth characteristics, IC50-values and cell survival, Eur J Clin Chem Clin Biochem 33 (1995) 813-823.
- Souza MM, Bevilaqua CM, Morais SM, Costa CT, Silva AR, Braz-Filho R. Anthelmintic acetogenin from Annona squamosa L. Seeds, Annals of the Brazilian Academy of Sciences 80 (2008) 271-277.Wu YC, Hung YC, Chang FR, Cosentino M, Wang HK, Lee KH. Identification of ent-16β, 17- Dihydroxykauran-19-oic Acid as an Anti-HIV Principle and Isolation of the New Diterpenoids Annosquamosins A and B from Annona squamosa, Journal of Natural Products 59 (1996) 635-637.