International Journal of Modern Science and Technology
International Journal of Modern Science and Technology, 1(2), 2016, Pages 52-57.
Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles using Aspergillus fumigatus JCF and its antibacterial activity
Arya Rajan, Elsa Cherian, G. Baskar
Department of Biotechnology, St. Joseph’s College of Engineering, Chennai, 600119. India.
Advancement of nanotechnology leads to the synthesis of nanomaterials with a well-defined dimensions and high mono-dispersity. An attractive possibility of green nanotechnology is to use microorganisms in the synthesis of nanoparticles. The present study reports the synthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles using fungus Aspergillus fumigatus JCF. The production of zinc oxide nanoparticles was confirmed by the formation of white aggregates of zinc oxide nanoparticles. The optical properties of the nanoparticles were analyzed using UV–vis spectroscopy. The characteristic functional groups were analyzed using Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy. Particle size and morphology were analyzed using scanning electron microscope. Anti-microbial activity of zinc oxide nanoparticles towards both gram negative bacteria (Klebsiella pneumoniae, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Escherichia coli) and gram positive bacteria (Staphylococcus aureus and Bacillus subtilis) were studied using well diffusion method.
Keywords: Zinc oxide nanoparticles; Aspergillus fumigatus JCF; Antimicrobial activity; Characterization.
- Absar A, Satyajyoti S, Khan MI, Rajiv K, and Sastry M. Extra-/intracellular biosynthesis of gold nanoparticles by an alkalo-tolerant fungus, Trichothecium sp., J Biomed Nanotechnol 1 (2005) 47-53.
- Baskar G, Chandhru K, Shears Fahad, and Praveen AS, Mycological synthesis, characterization and antifungal activity of zinc oxide naoparticles, J Pharma Tech 3 (2013) 142-146.
- Castro-Longoria E, Vilchis-Nestor AR, and Avalos Borj M, Biosynthesis of silver, gold and bimetallic nanoparticles using the filamentous fungus Neurosporacrassa, Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 23 (2010) 112-117.
- Cheng-Hsien H, Spherical zinc oxide nano particles from zinc acetate in the precipitation method, Journal of the Chinese Chemical Society 54 (2007) 31-34.
- Dhoble S and Kulkarni S. Biosynthesis of metal nanoparticles from fungal isolates of soyabeanrhizosphere, International Journal of Scientific Research 4 (2015) 3-5.
- Elsa C, Arya R, Baskar G. Synthesis of manganese dioxide nanoparticles using co-precipitation method and its antimicrobial activity, International Journal of Modern Science and Technology 1 (2016) 17-22.
- Hanley C, Layne J and Punnoose A. Preferential killing of cancer cells and activated human Tcells using zinc oxide nanoparticles, Nanotechnology 19 (29) (2008) 295103.
- Jeevalekshmi V, Sharath R, Chandraprabha MN, Neelufar E, Hazara A and Sree Patra M, Synthesis, characterization and evaluation of zinc oxide nanoparticles, J Biochem Technol 3(5) (2012)151-154.
- Jones N, Ray B, Ranjit KT and Manna AC. Antibacterial activity of ZnO nanoparticle suspensions on a broad spectrum of microorganisms, FEMS Microbiology Letters 279 (2008) 71-76.
- Mann S. Biomimetic Materials chemistry VCH, New York J Mater Chem 5 (1996) 935-946.
- Nithya R and Renganathan R. Invitro synthesis, characterization and medical application of silver nanoparticles using a lower fungi, Middle–East Journal of Scientific Research 21 (6) (2014) 922-928.
- Sangeetha G, Rajeswari S and Venckatesh R. Green synthesized ZnO nanoparticles against bacterial and fungal pathogens. Progress in Natural Science Materials International 22(6) (2012) 693-700.
- Sawai J. Quantitative evaluation of antibacterial activities ofmetallic oxide powders (ZnO, MgO and CaO) by Conductimetric assay, Journal of Microbiol Methods 54 (2) (2003)177-182.
- Wang H, Wingett D and Engelhard MH, Fluorescent dye capsulated ZnO particles with cell-specific toxicity for potential use in biomedical applications, J Mater Sci Mater Med 20 (2009) 11–22.
- Yumak T, Kuralay F, Muti M, Sinag A, Erdem A and Abaci S. Preparation and characterization of zinc oxide nanoparticles and their sensor applications for electrochemical monitoring of nucleic acid hybridization, Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 86 (2011) 397-403.
- Zeinab S, Mojtaba S and Farzad K. Biological synthesis of gold nanoparticles by fungus Epicoccum nigrum, J Clus Sci 22 (2011) 661-665.